**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #12,031 of 22,116
Quote:
No, I think the "profit margins" comment is closer.

Companies that have multiple products at multiple price points, tend to include improvements only in the more expensive items, just to make sure that the cheaper ones aren't too good and reduce sales of the expensive ones.

For example, Sennheiser HD518 have crappy plastic pads, while the HD558 have nice velour ones.   The velour ones, in quantities needed for world-wide distribution, barely cost any more.   But it helps to give people reasons to buy the HD558 instead.

Note that the head of HiFiMan has had surprisingly negative comments about the sound signature of the HE-400 - indicating that the bass response is designed to please crowds of unsophisticated buyers.   I doubt that he would be inclined to create anything like Jergpads that would add only a few dollars to the cost, but would lower sales of the HE-500s....

I thought that was a myth that was busted after Dr. Fang spoke out about it after some ambiguity, lemme find the post...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out/165#post_8022919
Really? When did I say that? HE-500 headphones are much better for long time listening, and I don't think HE-500 have less detail.

To be honest, we did tune HE-400 more "American sound" than HE-500. Comparing typical America sound thiel or JBL speakers to UK speaker such as spendor sp100, ATC or harbeth, many people believe thiel or JBL have more detail or more neutrual than those UK speakers, but I personally perfer Spendor or harbeth a lot. I don't like America sound signature. But business is business, we have to make something can sell. 

If Senn dare to sell Orpheus below $2000, a lot of headfiers will complain that it is lack of detail comparing to STAX. 

Fang

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #12,033 of 22,116
Quote:
I thought that was a myth that was busted after Dr. Fang spoke out about it after some ambiguity, lemme find the post...

What you posted just confirmed it rather than busted it....

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #12,034 of 22,116
Quote:
What you posted just confirmed it rather than busted it....

Why? JBL/Thiel speakers are made for unsophisticated buyers?

The original myth was that "HE400 was tuned to be more American sound" might have meant that it was tuned to be good for pop music and such (basically what you were insinuating), and that's obviously not the case.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #12,036 of 22,116
Quote:
The coating around the metal frame supporting my 2 headphone has vanish :p Me thinks it is because of my sweat and now 1 side is starting to rust... darn lol

If you contact HiFiMan customer support, you can request a replacement headband assembly.  I did this a few months back and it cost me $30 USD.  It's pretty easy to replace, you just need a philips screwdriver. 
cool.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #12,040 of 22,116
Quote:
Wow, thanks for the info.

No problem!  Also, don't mention anything about the headphones themselves, just state that you're looking for a replacement headband assembly.  Another user here had some trouble as he mentioned that his headband had broken, and they insisted that he mail the whole thing in for repair/replacement, which is quite a bit more expensive.  I merely just asked for another headband, and had no issues completing the order via email/PayPal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back