**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #11,492 of 22,116
Got a Lyr coming, getting some great tubes for it, changing my HE-400 pads to some Beyerdynamic pads and then MAYBE an upgraded cable for the HE-400 then I am just going to enjoy some music for a while!

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #11,497 of 22,116
I'd make be sure to ask what revision these are...hard to beat that price.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #11,499 of 22,116
Quote:
I saw haejuk's reply, but I'll also put you on the interest list for the possible 'Round 2' just in case that doesn't pan out.

Since I'm local to you, let me know if I can be of any assistance in stirring up another batch of these wonders.

Also, after a bit of a sabbatical from this thread - due to the sale of my HE-400s, I went through 3 other models from HifiMan - The HE-5LE, the HE-4 and the HE-500.  All three were great, great headphones that excelled in various areas.  However, what occured to me is that I missed some of that unique slam that the HE-400 offered.  So, with the HE-5LE, HE-4 and HE-500 models being sold off, I've made it back to the HE-400.

Immediately, I was loving the bass that they provided.  Though, as the downside, I also experienced the sibilants in the female vocals that pushed me away from the HE-400s before.  I don't currently have a headphone amp connected to my computer, so I can't use the EQ programs that work with Foobar and WinAmp.  However, I'm running both wired and wireless versions of the Squeezebox player in my home.  The Squeezebox player has an EQ plug-in that I can use.  This will allow me to define anywhere from a few bands up to quite a few bands for sound adjustments.  Needless to say, I'll be focusing a bit on taming some of the frequencies once again to my liking.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #11,500 of 22,116
  very interesting that you swing back to the HE400, says a lot about the headphone. 

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #11,501 of 22,116
Quote:

Since I'm local to you, let me know if I can be of any assistance in stirring up another batch of these wonders.

Also, after a bit of a sabbatical from this thread - due to the sale of my HE-400s, I went through 3 other models from HifiMan - The HE-5LE, the HE-4 and the HE-500.  All three were great, great headphones that excelled in various areas.  However, what occured to me is that I missed some of that unique slam that the HE-400 offered.  So, with the HE-5LE, HE-4 and HE-500 models being sold off, I've made it back to the HE-400.

Immediately, I was loving the bass that they provided.  Though, as the downside, I also experienced the sibilants in the female vocals that pushed me away from the HE-400s before.  I don't currently have a headphone amp connected to my computer, so I can't use the EQ programs that work with Foobar and WinAmp.  However, I'm running both wired and wireless versions of the Squeezebox player in my home.  The Squeezebox player has an EQ plug-in that I can use.  This will allow me to define anywhere from a few bands up to quite a few bands for sound adjustments.  Needless to say, I'll be focusing a bit on taming some of the frequencies once again to my liking.

WB, Wayne!  I know you are the crafty type, so I'll send you a PM of my tutorial draft for the process.  If you think you'd be up to it, I'd love the help!

Interesting that you're back on the HE-400 after trying out the others...I have to admit there are times where I really miss the HE-400, but I've also really been loving my time with the HE-500.  I'm curious about trying the HE-4 next, though.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #11,502 of 22,116
Quote:
very interesting that you swing back to the HE400, says a lot about the headphone. 

Or, it could say a lot about my indecisiveness or lack of sanity. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #11,505 of 22,116
Quote:
Got a Lyr coming, getting some great tubes for it, changing my HE-400 pads to some Beyerdynamic pads and then MAYBE an upgraded cable for the HE-400 then I am just going to enjoy some music for a while!

Are you upgrading from the Valhalla or do you have a solid state amp that you use for them right now? I'm curious about the Lyr, so I'd like to hear your impressions with the HE-400. I have the Maverick A1 and the Magni and I definitely prefer the Magni due to more oomph but I do like the warm tube sound. Seems to me that the Lyr is the best of both worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back