**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #11,506 of 22,116
I've posted impressions of the lyr and the he400 many times. Although the he400 is easy to amp for an ortho, it will scale up modestly with better gear. The lyr gives it a smooth lush sound and makes the bass even better....more dynamic. Of course this change will vary based on the tubes that you use. 

If I was only driving the he400 and other easier to drive hp's, it would be hard to justify the expense of the lyr. If you have other hp's that need the power of the lyr it's a very good choice.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #11,508 of 22,116
Quote:
Are you upgrading from the Valhalla or do you have a solid state amp that you use for them right now? I'm curious about the Lyr, so I'd like to hear your impressions with the HE-400. I have the Maverick A1 and the Magni and I definitely prefer the Magni due to more oomph but I do like the warm tube sound. Seems to me that the Lyr is the best of both worlds.

Love the Valhalla but didn't like it being so specialized as far as impedance goes, I wanted the freedom of driving anything I wanted to without worry.  I was considering the Asgard 2, but after hearing some of the comments on how dynamic and more on the lush side it is I went Lyr.  I also like the idea of still having some tubes in the amp, it can help tailor the sound to my liking as I am a staunch anti EQ kind of guy. I would rather go the Lyr/400 route than an Asgard 2/500 route.  MattTCG has given me a lot of advice as he has had a lot of the gear I have had interest in. Having issue with my Musical Fidelity X-Can v2, so I am just using a DragonFly until the Lyr gets here on Friday. Not a horrible combo by any means...But I know it can be SO much better!

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #11,510 of 22,116
Or, it could say a lot about my indecisiveness or lack of sanity. 
biggrin.gif

Waynemeister, welcome back. And you start off with a bang with the 400, I see.

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #11,511 of 22,116
Got some of these a few days ago, overall I think they are good but the sibilance and "tizzy" treble is a bit of an issue.... Other than that they are excellent.... Anyone have some EQ settings to fix the treble?

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #11,515 of 22,116
With some pretty heavy EQ'ing the treble does not hurt my ears.... Shame that the treble is pretty much inaudible to make it so that the sibilance does not hurt my ears! Ah well the mids and bass are very nice so considering the price I paid I will probably keep these.... I have to EQ everything above 8khz by about 5-6db to make them not harsh for me, also a little dip at around 800-1300hz because there is a midrange spike there as well.... These do sound good if you EQ them quite a lot... With a flat EQ they sound bad to my ears....

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #11,520 of 22,116
Quote:
I can't compare with the PS500, but I do own the Gs1000i and I prefer the bass texture, space and the comfort of the HE-400 over the Grado, but for straight "in your face" rock and roll I love me some Grado.

Does the treble come close to your grados at all? I would love it if the he-400 were a little less "harsh" with treble. I could potentially save myself a couple hundred bucks. If not, the ps500 is still an awesome piece of equipment. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back