**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #11,476 of 22,116
Quote:
Absolutely.  In fact:

(1) Magnepan -- says right in the owners manual that the speakers pick up additional bass extension after running some 100 hours (without rechecking the manual on my Magnepan 3.6s I think that was the amount of time).  I can also say, after owning 4 pairs of Magnepans over the years, that the speakers improve in other ways too after burn-in.

(2) Beyerdynamic -- I was recently speaking with a B. representative who related that their phones develop additional bass and smoother highs after burn in.  That's been my experience too with the Beyers that I have, and other phones too.

(3) Other manufacturers - It's a fact that there are numerous manufacturers (of both speakers and other electronics) who state in the manual that item's performance improves after a period of break-in.

Conclusion:  Break-in is real.

I agree with you. 
beyersmile.png

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #11,477 of 22,116
For those of you who continue to think that the burn-in/cable conversation is beneficial to this thread, read the link below and go somewhere else.

http://sonido.uchile.cl/articulos/tenbiggestliesaudio.pdf

As for the jergs, modulor, I'm jumping up and down with joy! :D

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #11,479 of 22,116
Quote:
For those of you who continue to think that the burn-in/cable conversation is beneficial to this thread, read the link below and go somewhere else.

As for the jergs, modulor, I'm jumping up and down with joy!
biggrin.gif

Almost ALL of that is the biggest bunch of ******** i have ever read, so believe that and be happy....

It should be titled "excuses for the deaf"

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #11,480 of 22,116
Quote:
I'd kill for a pair.

You may not have to.  I think I might stick with LCD-2 and sell my HE-400.  I have one of the first 15 pairs of modulor jerpads coming.  I do want to check out the HE-400s with the jerpads of course, but I am starting to think that the LCD-2 might be the open headphone I want in my 2 headphone collection.  It is kind of a close call, the HE-400 does some things much better than LCD-2.  The soundstage is much bigger on HE-400 and it also has more airy highs, but I am kind of liking the smooth/non-fatiguing sound of the Audeze.

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #11,481 of 22,116
Interesting, PM'd you.
Quote:
You may not have to.  I think I might stick with LCD-2 and sell my HE-400.  I have one of the first 15 pairs of modulor jerpads coming.  I do want to check out the HE-400s with the jerpads of course, but I am starting to think that the LCD-2 might be the open headphone I want in my 2 headphone collection.  It is kind of a close call, the HE-400 does some things much better than LCD-2.  The soundstage is much bigger on HE-400 and it also has more airy highs, but I am kind of liking the smooth/non-fatiguing sound of the Audeze.

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #11,482 of 22,116
Quote:

As for the jergs, modulor, I'm jumping up and down with joy!
biggrin.gif

That is just Peter Aczel opinion. He also thinks tubes are an obsolete technology.
Just because he doesn't think it is or it isn't, means absolutely nothing.
Just because my opinion differs from others, I would never be so bold,to tell others to go somewhere else!

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #11,483 of 22,116
Quote:
That is just Peter Aczel opinion. He also thinks tubes are an obsolete technology.
Just because he doesn't think it is or it isn't, means absolutely nothing.

That was just amazing.  Such blatant biased crap! I have been in this business for 25 years now and just about EVERY point he makes I have heard MANY times.  It's not always true though, it depends on the product.  Have I heard the noise floor drop on a system with a good power conditioner? Absolutley! It's not subjective, less background hiss is a tangible difference unless you can't hear and believe me some people can't hear worth a ****!  My dad can't hear the difference in ANYTHING I play him.  I have many different interconnects at the house, THEY SOUND DIFFERENT from each other! I've had speakers that got no audible benefit from bi wiring and I've had some the were transformed by bi wiring.  That dude who wrote that is a NUT JOB first rate....

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #11,484 of 22,116

Are the bass and mids very similar in terms of detail? The highs I can imagine are the biggest difference between the two. A lot of what I've read has made me think that the HE-400 doesn't fall very short, if at all, to the LCD2's. It makes the price tag of the Audezes seem outrageous. No real surprise though considering the country of origin for both...

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #11,486 of 22,116
The bass on the Audeze is actually much better than on the HE-400.  I didn't really realize that until I went back to my HE-400 from listening to LCD-2 for about a week.  I feel like the mids on LCD-2 are more forward as well.  The first time I tried LCD-2 coming from HE-400 I felt they were almost too much, since I usually enjoy cans with recessed mids.  I really was hoping that the HE-400 would be the better can for me due to the price difference, but it just doesn't seem to be the case.  I still need to go back and try LCD-2 again after a couple days of HE-400, but I feel like the only things HE-400 does better are highs and soundstage. 

About cables/burn in:  just try for yourself and see.  I think I got some positive results burning in my old D2000 with pink noise, but on HE-400 I couldn't really tell.  As for cables, I think that when you have had the same setup for a long time you would be able to tell if a cable changed anything in your system, and certainly people say that some gear benefits while some gear doesn't really benefit.  I never tried changing cables myself, so I don't have any opinion on that yet.  These are some of the most divisive issues in audio and you aren't going to convince someone who believes one thing to believe something else on an internet forum.  You really need to check it out yourself and draw your own conclusions. 

Disclaimer: all of above is just my opinion.  Other opinions are valid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back