**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 27, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #11,101 of 22,116
Quote:
The stock cable on the he400 is not the best. It will last though if treat with care. My guess is that one got a good "tug." Maybe with the foot? You're probably looking at an after-market cable, which will be of nicer quality, customer length and sound 10x better. 
size]

Ok, I appreciate the recommendation - I'll look into that.

I wouldn't say it really got much of a tug. All I did was tilt my neck to stretch and then suddenly my right sound was gone; obviously it caught on something... It's possible they got a few slight tugs before that too though - that cylindrical plastic bit where the two cables join is quite prone to catching on things for me. However, I do take care with them: I have a stand which I always rest them on, I make sure the cord doesn't fall under my chair wheels and I handle them quite carefully - obviously that wasn't enough though. But for this to happen, they seem quite delicate to me.

Yeah I can't say I'm a fan of the cables and their attachment at all. I had them coming loose fairly often until I finally took a tool to them to tighten them (which I didn't want to do tbh - ended up scratching the phones a bit
frown.gif
).

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #11,102 of 22,116
Oh, please don't get me wrong. I wasn't implying that you abused them. The stock cable is....well, pretty much crap. You'd have to treat it like you first born to avoid damage. 

I don't think that you can get the cable replaced, but for giggles how long have you had the hp? You'll likely want to start looking at after marker. Brian at BTG Audio offer nice HFM replacement cables at a very reasonable price. 

If you like, you can post a comment on the sponsor thread and see what they say. The best you'll though is another cheap cable. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #11,103 of 22,116
Quote:
Oh, please don't get me wrong. I wasn't implying that you abused them. The stock cable is....well, pretty much crap. You'd have to treat it like you first born to avoid damage. 

I don't think that you can get the cable replaced, but for giggles how long have you had the hp? You'll likely want to start looking at after marker. Brian at BTG Audio offer nice HFM replacement cables at a very reasonable price. 

If you like, you can post a comment on the sponsor thread and see what they say. The best you'll though is another cheap cable. 

I didn't meant to imply that you implied I abused them :p I see what you're saying.

I purchased the hp this month (2nd of June), first unboxed them on the 7th, I believe. So they're very new. At the bottom is this page are the warranty conditions of the shop I purchased from.

If I could get a new crappy, stock cable at a low cost, I'd probably take that for now and try to make it last more than 1 month. If/When the new one broke, I'd take a better look at an aftermarket cable. If, however, I can't get a cheap new, stock cable, then I'll consider aftermarket cables much sooner.

To be clear, I can still insert that little white bit, in the picture, back into the metal housing and it produces sound. I don't really like the idea of having a really weak cable that will be falling out every time there's a little tug on it though.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #11,110 of 22,116
Quote:
I dont mind the stock cable at all.  Has never tangled on me, has never been too stiff, have never had a problem with the terminations.  Overall great cable.

Just can't agree here. I you ever used the cable from the he4 or he6, you'd see that HFM can actually make a nice cable. 
size]

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #11,113 of 22,116
The cable is nice. The termination is what kills it. It's a terrible design. Hifiman needs to change this. Now. they KNOW people hate that damn thing, and yet they insist on using it.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #11,114 of 22,116
Wonder if there will be new headphones from HiFiMan (maybe $999) with nearly the performance level of HE-6, but not nearly as power hungry. Considering there's a price jump from $699 to $1299 between models, it seems like a possibility. Then again, maybe this would disrupt the sales of HE-6.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #11,115 of 22,116
I think in this case it may be a QC issue, it looks like the whole teflon insulation slid out in tact.  I would recommend contacting HiFiMan customer service, and you may be able to get a replacement for free or at low cost...hey, worth a try!  Also another consideration is to maybe try sliding it back in place with some epoxy or strong glue, as it appears to not be damaged otherwise, you'd have to make sure the negative connection is still making contact though, so that could be tricky. The Canare Star Quad they use is not entirely bad, and is only stiff because it is shielded and well insulated.  I've stripped one before so I know lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back