**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #10,981 of 22,116
Quote:
..... No sound on the right side..
Edit: Manage to get some sound out of the right side but it is softer then the left side. Is it the cable or the driver problem?

Probably the cable
Did you try to switch the cables L/R ?

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #10,983 of 22,116
I just don't hear these penetrating highs, to me the 400's are endgame (for their price range; I still want the lcd2's that I demoed LOL). I have a fair bit of time on the HD650 and for my personal taste, the 400's are superior in almost every single way

I know we all hear differently, but I felt like this thread needed just one post that says there is NO fatiguing sibilance...cause I just don't hear it, and some of you won't either. I do hours at a time with every conceivable genre

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #10,984 of 22,116
Quote:
I just don't hear these penetrating highs, to me the 400's are endgame (for their price range; I still want the lcd2's that I demoed LOL). I have a fair bit of time on the HD650 and for my personal taste, the 400's are superior in almost every single way

I know we all hear differently, but I felt like this thread needed just one post that says there is NO fatiguing sibilance...cause I just don't hear it, and some of you won't either. I do hours at a time with every conceivable genre

I only ever found it fatiguing on certain songs/genres, so musical and personal preference indeed plays a role - it's all definitely up to the listener.  Others feel the same as you of course, but I think a major factor for this complaint (other than ear sensitivity) is the signature of the other headphones users are coming from or comparing them to.  The HE-400 is an incredibly fun signature for most things I listened to, but it is also a very different signature from most headphones I've heard (and not in a bad way at all).  Some may experience fatigue either from the bass, the treble or both (I believe this happened to me from time to time with extended listening) and some may not.  They really require (and deserve) an extended listen to determine whether it is right for you, and you may walk away with an endgame (at least for the time being, haha 
biggrin.gif
).

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #10,985 of 22,116
Quote:
I only ever found it fatiguing on certain songs/genres, so musical and personal preference indeed plays a role - it's all definitely up to the listener.  Others feel the same as you of course, but I think a major factor for this complaint (other than ear sensitivity) is the signature of the other headphones users are coming from or comparing them to.  The HE-400 is an incredibly fun signature for most things I listened to, but it is also a very different signature from most headphones I've heard (and not in a bad way at all).  Some may experience fatigue either from the bass, the treble or both (I believe this happened to me from time to time with extended listening) and some may not.  They really require (and deserve) an extended listen to determine whether it is right for you, and you may walk away with an endgame (at least for the time being, haha 
biggrin.gif
).

Obviously everyone's "end game" headphones at various price points are going to be different.  I believe you hit the nail on the head in one aspect where it depends on where you are coming from, and also about requiring extended listening.  You have to "get used to" the sound. . .in that I mean you need to listen enough to where you allow your brain to switch over and start thinking "this is what it is supposed to sound like" (if that makes sense).

If I could use an analogy from my favorite sport (baseball) here, I would liken it to muscle memory.  You take batting practice daily, you hit hundreds of balls off of a tee daily, all in order to form muscle memory.  That way when you are in the game you don't have to think about your swing, it just happens, and it happens based on muscle memory.  When it's game time you have to remove the thought process and just let it happen.

So what I mean with this comparison is you have to just listen to your music through new headphones until you don't sit there and think about what you are listening to, just let it happen and not try to analyze.  When you sit and try to analyze the sonic signature you will get lost, and never really hear the can, you will only hear what you are trying to pick out.  Now, obviously this is what I like to do personally, and after having allowed myself to actually get into the headphones and not analyze them up front, I start comparing back to the other headphones.  Now your mind is set to accept the new headphones sound as "what its supposed to sound like", and if you start comparing it back to your old cans, you will start to hear the differences in the adverse manner as before you became used to the new headphones (this is assuming that one naturally compares initially upon receiving new headphones, ha).  It is in my opinion, at least, that which time you feel there is less negatives to your ears is the resulting better can for your tastes.  i.e. if can point out less negatives going from old to new, then the new can is more suited to your tastes/desires, while if you find less negative attributes going back from new to old, then your original headphone still reins supreme in your domain! 
size]

Obviously just my two cents. . .hope its not too much of a derail of the thread. . .just wanted to share my back story as to how I ultimately resolved that the HE-400's were not for my personal tastes for an all encompassing headphone.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #10,987 of 22,116
Quote:
Perhaps you need more EDM in your diet
tongue_smile.gif

I listen to trance and techno type tracks as well, although maybe not EDM. . .not ventured out there yet. . .more so just because of lack of time to explore more lately, haha.  For the trance and various types of techno styles I really liked the bass and lower mids on this headphone. . .ultimately its just the highs that do them in for me.  However, I have always felt that I am fairly sensitive to higher frequencies (the day old tube/CRT tv's vanished was a day of joy. . .I can hear high pitch hums from them through an entire damn house, ha).  I have also confirmed this notion through various hearing tests as well. . .obviously, again, everyone's ears are different and the the same sound is heard at varying volumes/intensities from ear to ear.  I could not keep the HE-400's on my head for any more than an hour at very moderate listening levels without becoming fatigued. . .and that was with the high EQ'd down 
size]

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #10,988 of 22,116
I am very sensitive to high frequencies as well, but not as sensitive as you it seems (luckily). I think the X1 might be a good headphone for you to try out. Much more natural sounding and crisp, bot not fatiguing, highs. Especially if you are into trance! Personally, I think the HE-400 performs drum & bass tracks amazingly. I still have to EQ the highs down a bit, but the attack and precision of the bass is just perfect for it. For any form of house, techno, or trance, I think I'd prefer the X1. I mainly listen to DnB and glitch hop which has a lot of dissonant, fast, punchy bass so my planars own that realm.

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #10,989 of 22,116
Quote:
I am very sensitive to high frequencies as well, but not as sensitive as you it seems (luckily). I think the X1 might be a good headphone for you to try out. Much more natural sounding and crisp, bot not fatiguing, highs. Especially if you are into trance! Personally, I think the HE-400 performs drum & bass tracks amazingly. I still have to EQ the highs down a bit, but the attack and precision of the bass is just perfect for it. For any form of house, techno, or trance, I think I'd prefer the X1. I mainly listen to DnB and glitch hop which has a lot of dissonant, fast, punchy bass so my planars own that realm.

I would be inclined to agree here. . .I loved how well they handled double bass, and just drums in general.  They really present them with a true "body" to them, if that makes sense.  I loved listening to A7X with these headphones. . .really presented Rev's drum lines as they deserve to be heard. . .with a wonderful fullness and authority, ha.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #10,991 of 22,116
Quote:
Sub Focus - Splash

smily_headphones1.gif

I would love to listen to that on these cans. . .but sadly they are already packaged up ready to ship off after work today 
size]

I will however probably check this out through my speaker set up, haha

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #10,995 of 22,116
Thujone, even though you are my arch enemy and a complete jerk, I heeded your advice and picked up the HE-400 as a kind of bridge on the journey to the HE-500. In conclusion, screw you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back