**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 26, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #10,756 of 22,116
okay make more sense now. what modification did you do to the K550 that give it more impact? that would be interesting. Especially considering you are compare the bass with the HE400.  If the impact is improved, the bass would be pretty satisfying as the K550 bass hits pretty low as I recall.  

May 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #10,757 of 22,116
My time with the k550 wasn't long, but I don't remember walking away being wow'd by its bass.  I could see it having overall more quantity than he-400's considering it's both closed and probably has a looser, higher thd bass.

The amount of thd plays a big role. The more of it, the more one-toned the bass and the more it'll be boomy independent of the recording.  

May 26, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #10,758 of 22,116
I didnt do anything special to my K550, I just placed Velcro and foam on the headband to tighten the clamp and coiled thin rope under the pads to push them out for better seal. Good seal is crucial for great sound out of the k550, unfortunately that's harder with a smaller head.

I think the K550 is pretty underrated, especially for it's cost...i even prefer it over the K702 mostly. But this is the HE-400 thread and I digress... Back on topic

May 26, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #10,759 of 22,116
Judging the popular consensus of the akg701, I'd probably like k550 more than it too.  I don't think I'd be too big a fan of the akg sound.  If I wanted brightish headphone that's super detailed I'd just get an hd800.

May 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #10,760 of 22,116
Hey guys, I was wondering something... this might not be ideal for the HE-400, but maybe for the nigle digit Hifimans...

Fiio A1?

$80 speaker amp.

14wattsx2

I remembered the Fiio A1 from a few years back, but I just thought about it actually being used for something like the HE-6.

Legit?

May 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #10,761 of 22,116
Hmm...looks like an e9 with a lot more juice. I'd tend to say too much juice for the he400. Now maybe for the he-4. 
size]

May 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #10,762 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey guys, I was wondering something... this might not be ideal for the HE-400, but maybe for the nigle digit Hifimans...

Fiio A1?

$80 speaker amp.

14wattsx2

I remembered the Fiio A1 from a few years back, but I just thought about it actually being used for something like the HE-6.

Legit?

Not sure if it will drive the HE-6 properly, though. It will properly only deliver some 3-4 watts into the HE-6

May 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #10,763 of 22,116
[size=1.15em] My take on these cans..

I've had the HE-400s for about year, and am now running them through a V-Dac II into a Burson soloist. Argon 5057 Cables between the amp and dac. 

For modifications, I swapped pleathers for velours and removed the mesh that was glued onto the grills, no problems caused from that so far so thumbs up. It would probably be a safer bet to keep the hifimans under cover once in a while so they don't collect too much dust. These two mods are a must for anyone wanting to get the most out of these cans, however I wouldn't recommend the mesh mod if you have an already bright system as it slightly adds more treble and contributes to more fatigue (at least that's what I have observed). My pair have the revision two casing (White-ish).

Genres I listen to: Metal of all kind, female vocals/acoustic stuff, pop, dubstep & electronic. I can only comment on my own system because i've never owned anything else. The sound is very balanced, very full, bass is tight, mids are really nice, gives guitar and vocals that extra richness, highs aren't harsh and there's not much sibilance. Soundstage and imaging is good, you can pinpoint all the different elements in the song. One of the only negative things that I can find in the sound (and I may be over-emphasizing this) would be the really wide soundstage (more on the sides and less in the centre) that may make music that's played on a stage seem less realistic. This doesn't really bother me but if you're really looking for that speaker-like soundstage, other cans may do this better. This wide soundstage works perfect with more digital music like electronic etc.

The HE-400s build quality (driver casing/headband,etc) seems really durable, but these cans really need some refining. You can really see where Dr. Hifiman has saved up on, the 'Hifiman He-400's logo paint has started to fade, the R/L channels have completely dissapeared over and the cable has started to ware right before the connectors. Comfort is one of the cons of this otherwise, really great sounding headphone, so take this into consideration.

What else can I say..I wouldn't say this headphone responds alot with better equipment, probably because of the its efficiency. The V-Dac and Burson amp did make noticable changes but if you're budget is limited, going with less expensive options won't set you far away from the headphone's full potential. Only thing I would look into a headphone from this would be more detail, more realistic imaging, and refinement in build and comfort. 

I didn't try any of my equipment before I bought them, I just relied on reviews and impressions. Synergy is excellent, the burson really suits the HE-400's sound signature and the Musical Fidelity Dac improves sound and adds warmth so anyone looking at this setup, go for it. Conclusion: All rounder cans, great value and a nice step into the audiophile world. Feel free to message me about the headphones, dac or amp. and thanks for reading my review.

[/size]  

May 26, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #10,764 of 22,116
Not sure if it will drive the HE-6 properly, though. It will properly only deliver some 3-4 watts into the HE-6

That sounds ideal for the HE-4 though...

May 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #10,765 of 22,116
wouldnt the dta-100a be better for the single digit hifimans at $89

May 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #10,767 of 22,116
May 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #10,769 of 22,116
i went receiver personally. picked up a yamaha rx-v371 on amazon like new for $98 like 2-3 weeks back. cant beat price for hdmi inputs and some of the newest dolby and dts decoders, plus i can plug in my headphones to play my games (d2000 is awesome for this). just ordered a 1/4" to speaker tap adapter, so waiting to see how that combination sounds with my he-500.

May 26, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #10,770 of 22,116
That little thing is a pos that has failed on me 3x in a row before I got a receiver. 

The Fiio A1, or what kenshin posted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back