**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 21, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #10,697 of 22,116
Hmm, i think the mastering of 80% of my songs sucks.
When i listent o the fiio E17 off the cowon i9 i need to get 40+ volume in most songs to have decent volume.
Granted that when its usb connected i can listen to 25 perfectly well (gain 12).

However, i have other songs i dont get over 35 unless i want to go crazy.
I normally hear things others simply cant, so i assume my hearing aint that bad.
Perhaps i should see a doc anyway to make sure.

May 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #10,698 of 22,116
Quote:
Hmm, i think the mastering of 80% of my songs sucks.
When i listent o the fiio E17 off the cowon i9 i need to get 40+ volume in most songs to have decent volume.
Granted that when its usb connected i can listen to 25 perfectly well (gain 12).

However, i have other songs i dont get over 35 unless i want to go crazy.
I normally hear things others simply cant, so i assume my hearing aint that bad.
Perhaps i should see a doc anyway to make sure.

25 on gain 12 when using E17 as DAC/AMP combo is perfectly OK.

May 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #10,702 of 22,116
Quote:
Does sq get affected when needing to use 12 gain..? Have you thought about comparing the 400's to the a900x instead of the ah900x?

w/wo gain sounds pretty much the same.
I don't have A900X.

May 22, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #10,705 of 22,116
I mentioned previously in this thread that I could not differentiate the difference between the HE-400 amped and unamped.

Now, the weird thing is I can notice some difference but the fact is, I feel that the HE-400 running off my phone has better soundstaging/imaging capabilities making it sound more 3D like... Which I appreciate even if it is a small difference.

Anyone else noticed this? It's really weird because with sound should increase with better DAC and amped theoretically. (albeit it is only slightly since it's just a HUD-MX1) 

EDIT: I gotta admit tho that the refinement of sound is better with the DAC.

EDIT2: Now that I use Neutron player on my galaxy nexus, I find that the refinement difference is negligible... even better in one way which is it does not distort in comparison to when using from HUD-MX1.

May 22, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #10,706 of 22,116
Well, i guess ill have to go for the E12. I was hoping to find a slightly more powerfull amp for the HE-400.

For me the E17 is not enought (but basicly not enought since i need to up the volume too much or i lose some of the song)

May 22, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #10,707 of 22,116
can anyone recommend me a warm amp that has lots of power but max price of $200 used, atm i have he-400 hooked with E17 + E9K.. the thing is i have electronic music that needs lots of bass EQ'ing (I use +10 bass EQ on the e17) and since its +10 if i go above like 70% volume(with gain on) the bass will distort because there isn't enough headroom/power and i simply want it LOUDER with no bass distortion for those huge big room club songs. would be good if i could somehow make use of e17 + e9k + the new amp.. but obviously not possible to stack amps if you want quality

May 22, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #10,708 of 22,116
Quote:
can anyone recommend me a warm amp that has lots of power but max price of $200 used, atm i have he-400 hooked with E17 + E9K.. the thing is i have electronic music that needs lots of bass EQ'ing (I use +10 bass EQ on the e17) and since its +10 if i go above like 70% volume(with gain on) the bass will distort because there isn't enough headroom/power and i simply want it LOUDER with no bass distortion for those huge big room club songs. would be good if i could somehow make use of e17 + e9k + the new amp.. but obviously not possible to stack amps if you want quality

M-stage may be up your alley. It has a warm sig, but not sure on it's power output though. It certainly gets plenty loud with the HE-400 on 10db gain, and it can still go to 20 gain. Electronic music is a dream for me with the m-stage, never distorts at all.

They go for around $200 used, $250 new I believe. 

May 22, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #10,709 of 22,116
Quote:

If you want a desktop amp, then grab a used Asgard 1 from the forums here. Well under your budget. 

gL!!

May 22, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #10,710 of 22,116
I just got my E17 in yesterday and the first thing I noticed is that sibilance isn't as much of an issue. In fact, my A1 simply makes everything (except the lower mids) more crisp sounding which contributes to the hissing. I was not expecting my tube amp to have more sibilance than a solid state...

Either way, my once drastic EQ is growing closer and closer to flat. I'm starting to really like the sparkly highs because none of my other headphones are like these in that regard. Still though, they are most tolerable when listening to instrumental music. Why? So I don't have to listen to any more "s" "f" or "th" words! I've even experienced some sibilance on certain recordings from words beginning in "d" (Third Eye Blind's Blue album seems to be more sibilant than their first to me).

I'm thinking in a couple months I'll be back to a flat EQ and I'll be part of the treble bandwagon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back