**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #10,561 of 22,116
The Annie and the HE-400 are quite different in presentation. They're more complimentary than competitive. The HE-400 has bass the Annie won't match (despite them having good bass), and the HE-400 won't match the mids and balance on the Annie. The treble is also night and day. HE-400 is quite sparkly, the Annie is smooth.

Like vastly different headphones, give them their due time without much A/B-ing until you've been quite accustomed to the Annie's sound.

May 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #10,562 of 22,116
I have a great respect for F-clef instruments (have played and do play a few myself) and just bass in general, so I'm naturally attracted to it...but I find that quality and accurate representation/texture is becoming the higher priority.  I still like my signature to be warm and weighty, so I guess you could call me a basshead in some ways 
cool.gif

but it's not just about the bass with these...I think they are pretty great overall.  I guess by fun I mean more lively than a neutral signature (of those I've heard) - they are more aggressive but not overly so, they have the bass weight and treble sparkle without a large compromise on the midrange, and they're quick.  The mids are indeed nice and the recessed areas really only compromise a few songs I listen to (>10%), but that doesn't make them un-listenable or un-enjoyable by any means.  Every headphone will have it's trade-offs, but I value these greatly for what they bring to the table.  Are they a means to an end?  Perhaps for some, but they're still hard to beat in most respects for their price range.

Less 'Sennheiser veil', more 'Sennheiser presentation' 
wink.gif

.  I bet there are a few tracks/genres that still sound great if not better on the HD580 - sometimes that laid back presentation is necessary.  I have a friend that had a pair a few years back and loved them as he mainly listened to acoustic/folk rock.  You seem to have a good collection going so far!

This may sound counter intuitive but I find bassy presentation to be less than conducive to really hearing bass lines. (I play bass trombone, tuba, bass guitar, and would love to try string bass sometime.) Not that this comes into play with the HE-400 as the are very good at presenting a discernible bass line.

May 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #10,564 of 22,116
The Annie and the HE-400 are quite different in presentation. They're more complimentary than competitive. The HE-400 has bass the Annie won't match (despite them having good bass), and the HE-400 won't match the mids and balance on the Annie. The treble is also night and day. HE-400 is quite sparkly, the Annie is smooth.

Like vastly different headphones, give them their due time without much A/B-ing until you've been quite accustomed to the Annie's sound.

Thanks MLE,

I'm not looking for a headphone to replace the HE400, but just a headphone that perform just as well at least. I'm looking for a secondary headphone and I've been following your post and it seem your selection of preference is similar to mine.

I figure it be interesting and fun to put up a test to see how well it perform with another headphone within it performance to price realm. I will give it it's own time to truly see it potential. I'm curious to see what a upper mid range dynamic driver can do as I think the only thing he400 for me can improve is their sound stage width which from what I read seems to be common with ortho. Not a bad with but nothing to brag about. My assumption can be incorrect base on lack of experience with orthos.

May 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #10,566 of 22,116
When is does it consider out of FOTM/FOTY/FOTD? Seem these are actually worthy enough to say they are good and have there sitting spot pretty warm.

May 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #10,568 of 22,116
Quote:
This may sound counter intuitive but I find bassy presentation to be less than conducive to really hearing bass lines. (I play bass trombone, tuba, bass guitar, and would love to try string bass sometime.) Not that this comes into play with the HE-400 as the are very good at presenting a discernible bass line.

Well, it does make sense...you don't really want one frequency region to drown out or muddy up another region too much, which is what an emphasis in the mid-bass is known to do for example.  The HE-400 doesn't have a problematic issue like this that I can discern.  They are dark and weighty, but still maintain good transparency, high detail retrieval and a well textured response which helps brings the bass to life and present it better than most can.  I've played trombone and bass guitar myself, and I'd say they depict an accurate, natural bass representation as far as I can tell.

I was mainly getting at that you can be a 'basshead' beyond what the stereotype implies.

May 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #10,571 of 22,116
Actually I don't think there's such a thing like FOTY and FOTD. They're just being sarcastic.

Sure there is, if someone say it then it's there. There's also FOTC AND FOTMi too:p

May 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #10,573 of 22,116
Is there a way to stop the extreme sibilance from female vocals on the HE-400? I have velour pads and an E17 with +2 bass, -2 treble. Should I look into doing some pad mods, or is there a way to EQ it out?

May 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #10,574 of 22,116
Quote:
Is there a way to stop the extreme sibilance from female vocals on the HE-400? I have velour pads and an E17 with +2 bass, -2 treble. Should I look into doing some pad mods, or is there a way to EQ it out?

In foobar, cut a few db from 7khz and 10khz.

May 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #10,575 of 22,116
Thanks MLE,

I'm not looking for a headphone to replace the HE400, but just a headphone that perform just as well at least. I'm looking for a secondary headphone and I've been following your post and it seem your selection of preference is similar to mine.

I figure it be interesting and fun to put up a test to see how well it perform with another headphone within it performance to price realm. I will give it it's own time to truly see it potential. I'm curious to see what a upper mid range dynamic driver can do as I think the only thing he400 for me can improve is their sound stage width which from what I read seems to be common with ortho. Not a bad with but nothing to brag about. My assumption can be incorrect base on lack of experience with orthos.

I agree with MLE that you need to listen to the Annies for a while without A/B'ing them with the HE400s.  The Annies will probably seem very bright to you at first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back