**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #10,171 of 22,116
Quote:
Me neither. Also the construction of the He-400 probably wouldn't allow expansion and contraction. First of all it's plastic, not wood so I doubt things would even want to expand or contract.
Second, it's an extremely tight fit.

I was just speculating about the expansion/contraction theory, I don't really know the cause, but one thing's for sure it's not sound being produced by the driver. I sometimes hear it even when nothing is playing. But it's very rare so I think nothing of it.

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #10,172 of 22,116
Quote:

Nah no way it's clipping. It's not sound being produced by the driver, it sounds like someone is tapping the headphone while you're wearing it. We had a discussion about this not too long ago, I think someone referred to it as a "twaack".

Actually that discussion concluded that the "twaack" was indeed from the drivers, and that it was benign.

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #10,174 of 22,116
Quote:

You're correct there, but how does it occur even when nothing's playing?

The "twaack" in the discussion some time ago concerned the sound that the drivers made, when a tone (especially a low bass tone) or loud bass-heavy music is paused, and is basically the sound of the diaphragm coming to an abrupt halt with the audio signal being cut off.

I have no idea what context you guys are discussing with regards to this new "noise", so I can't infer what the cause or even the source of the sound may be. Are you sure the noise you perceive is even the same noise as what Anvil is hearing? You can't be sure.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #10,175 of 22,116
I had a resonance with my last pair that started all of a sudden. When you'd tap on the shell of the hp, there would be a metallic 'vibraton' sound on one side, about 1 day before that side failed.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #10,176 of 22,116
He fellas, new user here. I just received my HE-400's the other day. I love the sound, but like others have stated in this thread, the treble spike, particularly the sibilance in some recordings, has my hears fatigued a tad. I am in a bit of a bind as to what to do. Regardless, I am going to keep on listening to them for a few days to see if my brain can get used to it. I have eq'ed it a bit, so we will see if that helps.

Let's say I simply can't get past the sibilance/treble spike, and I have to send these back. What is a good choice in this range, give or take 100 bucks if I need to? Right now if I don't keep these, I am leaning on the Sennheiser HD650, because I hear it has a laid back sound, even though i would be losing the crisp sub bass of the HE-400's. Any opinions? Thank you!

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #10,177 of 22,116
Quote:
The "twaack" in the discussion some time ago concerned the sound that the drivers made, when a tone (especially a low bass tone) or loud bass-heavy music is paused, and is basically the sound of the diaphragm coming to an abrupt halt with the audio signal being cut off.

I have no idea what context you guys are discussing with regards to this new "noise", so I can't infer what the cause or even the source of the sound may be. Are you sure the noise you perceive is even the same noise as what Anvil is hearing? You can't be sure.

Ah now I remember, we said that sound was probably the noise of the driver coming to a standstill. So what I said technically is correct, that the sound isn't produced by the driver like a musical tone, but rather the result of the driver coming to a standstill. But that still doesn't explain that twaack when there's no music being played, so the driver never moved to begin with.

But yeah this may not even be the same noise we're hearing so this may be moot.

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #10,178 of 22,116
Quote:
He fellas, new user here. I just received my HE-400's the other day. I love the sound, but like others have stated in this thread, the treble spike, particularly the sibilance in some recordings, has my hears fatigued a tad. I am in a bit of a bind as to what to do. Regardless, I am going to keep on listening to them for a few days to see if my brain can get used to it. I have eq'ed it a bit, so we will see if that helps.

Let's say I simply can't get past the sibilance/treble spike, and I have to send these back. What is a good choice in this range, give or take 100 bucks if I need to? Right now if I don't keep these, I am leaning on the Sennheiser HD650, because I hear it has a laid back sound, even though i would be losing the crisp sub bass of the HE-400's. Any opinions? Thank you!

You can try EQ the 7-10 Khz region down around 3db, that will help with the sibilants significantly. Some have also EQed down around 16Khz which I am also doing, overall the sound is less fatiguing. 

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #10,179 of 22,116
Quote:

Just for your information, some people actually prefer the HD600 to the 650.

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #10,181 of 22,116
What about the hd600 are preferred? At this point, this might sound weird, but I don't really want to send the he-400's back because they sound great on most songs. I am actually considering by the hd650's in addition. You only live once?

I might be in the same position with the AT AD900x as the alternate. Just telling you what I've read and been told Hd600 v HD650

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #10,182 of 22,116
Quote:
What about the hd600 are preferred? At this point, this might sound weird, but I don't really want to send the he-400's back because they sound great on most songs. I am actually considering buying the hd650's in addition. You only live once?

Just enjoy yourself for a couple of days, and don't think too much about. You'll probably know by then. And also try equalizing a bit. Don't overdo it.

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #10,184 of 22,116
Quote:

My suggestion? Try the jergpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back