**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #10,126 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't think these headphones would even be in the same league regarding sound quality. the M-100s are 'fun' sounding closed headphones, but I don't think they come close to the technical capabilities of the HE-400.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. However, would they sound as good without an amplifier? I know HiFiMan advertises them as not needing an amplifier, but the consensus here seems to be that you do really want an amplifier.

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #10,127 of 22,116
Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. However, would they sound as good without an amplifier? I know HiFiMan advertises them as not needing an amplifier, but the consensus here seems to be that you do really want an amplifier.

I would imagine they still sound much better without an amp. In my experience, the HE-400 unamped don't sound much worse than one amped. Sure you will get benefits, better controlled bass, better imaging, cleaner sound, etc... but unamped they still sound fantastic imo. With that said, I'd still get an amp for sure, why spend $400 on a pair of headphones if you don't plan on unlocking it's full potential?

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #10,128 of 22,116
Quote:

I would imagine they still sound much better without an amp. In my experience, the HE-400 unamped don't sound much worse than one amped. Sure you will get benefits, better controlled bass, better imaging, cleaner sound, etc... but unamped they still sound fantastic imo. With that said, I'd still get an amp for sure, why spend $400 on a pair of headphones if you don't plan on unlocking it's full potential?

Understandable. I'll have to see what I can get selling my M-100s to upgrade to these bad boys and a decent amp. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #10,129 of 22,116
^The sound will always be better with an amplifier unless the headphone is bad. To various degrees, though. The HE-400 needs some amping

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #10,130 of 22,116
Thinking about ordering these. I have the HD650 and like the bass, just want a tad more.  Also, how much better are the HE-500?

Also, I got the Woo Audio WA6 and MF VDAC II to power them with.

Thanks

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #10,132 of 22,116
Quote:
Thinking about ordering these. I have the HD650 and like the bass, just want a tad more.  Also, how much better are the HE-500?

Also, I got the Woo Audio WA6 and MF VDAC II to power them with.

Thanks

Depends on what you listen to if the HE-500 would be worth it. And of course what kind of sound you want. You can't objectively say how much better the HE-500 is.

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #10,133 of 22,116
Quote:
Depends on what you listen to if the HE-500 would be worth it. And of course what kind of sound you want. You can't objectively say how much better the HE-500 is.

Hip-Hop, RAP, Metal, Classic Rock, Classical

In that order...

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #10,134 of 22,116
I hate to stir the pot, but wanted to add one more data point for people.

As a matter of personal opinion the HE-500 does have burn in. And 150 hours is just about right. I always said 120 minimum and after 200 no change ("stable")

This coming from someone who has his 4th pair of HE-500 and burning them in for the 4th time. I'm a big believer of the scientific method and a proud skeptic. But not everything shows up in Frequency Response Cuves/CSD/Impulse Response/Square Waves.

I think we need more sophisticated measuring tools and then we'll be able to measure small differences. Like being able to measure the diaphram with laser precision while real music is playing, instead of sending impulses to make measurements.

Now... saying all that can it just be a placebo psuedo effect and my brain is being fooled for the 4th time? Of course. Humans are faulty in general so why not.

I hope in the future we'll develope more sophisticated measuring tools to really flesh this issue out.

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #10,135 of 22,116
Quote:
Hip-Hop, RAP, Metal, Classic Rock, Classical

In that order...

Hard to say... On one hand the HE-400 might make some badly recorded music a bit sibilant/metallic sounding. HE-500 would surely do better with classic rock and classical IMO. The timbre is more realistic and natural.

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #10,136 of 22,116
Quote:

Well I've tried the He-400 on multiple sources and it sounds great on all of them, even on the daps. Sure it will sound better on better amps but you definitely don't need anything super fancy and expensive.

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #10,137 of 22,116

Not only an amplifier, but these seem to "scale" as they say. Meaning the more/better amp you give them, the better they sound.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #10,138 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey guys, I decided to leave the preconception aside and do some EQ. Please rate my EQ curve.

It's a little ugly(that's what I could do with my skills) but I've been liking the results so far. Tamed that wild treble while maintaning some clarity. Any suggestions for improvement are welcome.

edit. After some more listening, I noticed some distortion on certain tracks. It seems it's not a good idea raising the 2-6khz region.

Raising it is fine as long as you're lowering the pre-amp to compensate.

Why not try to make the treble reduction less steep?  Make it slowly drop down to the -10db at around 15khz instead of 9khz.

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #10,139 of 22,116
Quote:

Raising it is fine as long as you're lowering the pre-amp to compensate.

Why not try to make the treble reduction less steep?  Make it slowly drop down to the -10db at around 15khz instead of 9khz.

Thanks for the tip. It worked. No more distortion.

I don't want to make it drop slower till 15khz because arround 7.5khz and 9khz there are very bad spots which seems to be the main cause of sibilance and harshness(detected both on sinegen). There was also another one arround 11khz, which I now dropped too. Looks like I eliminated all traces of sibilance. Now I need to decide which signature I like better (with or without EQ).

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #10,140 of 22,116
Honestly, to keep the HE400 sound without the sibilance, I wouldn't have raised the dips in the upper mids, and just reduced the problem areas.

Raising the upper mids would alter the sound signature.

I guess that's why I don't EQ, I hate messing with the inherent signature, unless a headphone is absolute garbage.

The most I'd do overall for a good headphone is raise sub bass more than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back