**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #9,588 of 22,116
Haven't posted here in a while, still loving my He-400's so much.

The self-gifted Christmas gift that keeps on giving (with dat o2+odac combo, buh-bye hd595 and udac2)

I'm sure it's normal of open air cans, but they really do sound better in my small room than the other more open spacious room I had them in next to a foyer for a coupla weeks while out of town.

It's like they got an environmental acoustics upgrade again :D

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #9,589 of 22,116
Just recently purchased a Schiit Lyr amp for my HE-400 and HD650 as a substitute to my poor, problem ridden Marantz. Very excited and extremely nervous as this is the most I've spent on an amp (although the amount of time and money I used to try fixing the marantz probably adds up to a little more) .

Hoping it sounds as great as people say it does. Should come in by Thursday or Friday :D. Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with the lyr pairing? I know several have mentioned how good it pairs with the HD650. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #9,590 of 22,116
Quote:
Just recently purchased a Schiit Lyr amp for my HE-400 and HD650 as a substitute to my poor, problem ridden Marantz. Very excited and extremely nervous as this is the most I've spent on an amp (although the amount of time and money I used to try fixing the marantz probably adds up to a little more) .

Hoping it sounds as great as people say it does. Should come in by Thursday or Friday :D. Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with the lyr pairing? I know several have mentioned how good it pairs with the HD650. 

I can't speak from experience, but it's know to pair very well with Orthos as it provides 6 watts of power.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #9,591 of 22,116
Quote:
I can't speak from experience, but it's know to pair very well with Orthos as it provides 6 watts of power.

I hope it pairs great. I still think that whenever my Marantz behaved nicely, the power that thing pushed into the HE-400 sounded amazing so I can imagine the Lyr sounding great as well. Hopefully it can compete against my receiver since I am looking to have that same great sound on a daily basis without the issues lol. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #9,592 of 22,116
Quote:
Haven't posted here in a while, still loving my He-400's so much.

The self-gifted Christmas gift that keeps on giving (with dat o2+odac combo, buh-bye hd595 and udac2)

I'm sure it's normal of open air cans, but they really do sound better in my small room than the other more open spacious room I had them in next to a foyer for a coupla weeks while out of town.

It's like they got an environmental acoustics upgrade again :D

This sounds so unlikely, like how small a room are we talking? I can imaging that if a wall is close enough the sound might travel from the headphone to the wall, bounce back into your ear. But the room has to be pretty darn small for that. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #9,596 of 22,116
Quote:

It's a substantial pairing. 
size]
 The he400 does not scale as well as some other hp's but it still has pretty good legs with better gear. You'll love it...I know I do. Time to do a little tube rolling. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #9,598 of 22,116
But where did you get yours from? Was it an official distributor (like a shop on amazon) or you got them directly from them?

Also, how long did it take for you to get the replacement?

P.S, my pads are modded, does that mean I will have to order a new pair before sending them off for a replacement?

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #9,599 of 22,116
Quote:
But where did you get yours from? Was it an official distributor (like a shop on amazon) or you got them directly from them?

Also, how long did it take for you to get a replacement?

P.S, my pads are modded, does that mean I will have to order a new pair before sending them off for a replacement?

Not sure on the pads.

I bought mine from head-direct and sent them away last Thursday, I got refunded this morning - so 7 days (I'm in Australia)

I don't think it should matter if you bought from a retailer or directly from Head Direct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back