**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #7,396 of 22,116
Still waiting on the A2 amp. Today I setup the he400 on a vintage amp with speaker taps. 
size]

All I can say is that this setup sounds much better than I expected. Where is wje when you need him!! 
size]

Do the he400s benefit from the increased power of the taps??

Well, he is referring to a speaker amp, which generally requires a cable with taps in order to connect ... Planars can handle (and benefit from) the higher wattage they can put out. :cool:

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #7,397 of 22,116
Quote:
Background noise??? What ru talking bout? My full tube amp is dead silent..okay i admit i have the right tubes in it.and its not as cheap as the asgard..but still...not every tube/hybrid amp is noisy..if an amp is noisy in general then its a quality flaw imho
But if ur really hestitate to get a tube amp..try the mstage..its cheap and pairs really well with the he300/400 and the 500.. I had them all..and all were driven perfectly by the little one
wink.gif

That's odd. I thought background noise was one of the characteristics of Tube Amps (I've never owned one). If NOT true, I'm glad because I'd like to consider a Tube Amp. If they do have turn on Thumps and background noise I think that would be a huge deterrent for me. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #7,398 of 22,116
Quote:
That's odd. I thought background noise was one of the characteristics of Tube Amps (I've never owned one). If NOT true, I'm glad because I'd like to consider a Tube Amp. If they do have turn on Thumps and background noise I think that would be a huge deterrent for me. 

That is definitely not a characteristic of tube amps. Any amp can have noise. For instance, one of the issues with the Schiit Magni for some people has been noise in certain setups. If your amp has noise, generally it's an issue with the ground, with the source, or there is also "tube noise." There are plenty of things that cause tube noise but I've only ever encountered it once and some deoxit cleaned it write up. So yeah, definitely not a "characteristic" of tube amps by any means.

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #7,399 of 22,116
The lyr is completely black and noise free for me. The only noise issue that I ever had with it was due to a defective set of tubes. But that was an isolated incident and I've never had it happen again. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #7,400 of 22,116
Quote:
The lyr is completely black and noise free for me. The only noise issue that I ever had with it was due to a defective set of tubes. But that was an isolated incident and I've never had it happen again. 

Yeah my Little Dot MKIII had some noise early and it was my first tube amp. Found out I was getting noise both from a terribly wired house AND the stock tubes. None of the other sets of tubes I tried had any noise, plus a little deoxit made the stock tubes stop with the noise as well.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #7,401 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah my Little Dot MKIII had some noise early and it was my first tube amp. Found out I was getting noise both from a terribly wired house AND the stock tubes. None of the other sets of tubes I tried had any noise, plus a little deoxit made the stock tubes stop with the noise as well.

One thing u can do to eliminate noise is to connect ur amp directly to the wall...no other cables/connectors in between..a tube amp loves raw clean electricity..my amp needed two  connectors..ouch..but it sounds superclean..u can hear the slightest nuances of instruments and sometimes hear the room 'breathing' ( dont really know how to say that correctly in english..sorry) in the recording..queen were masters in that area i found out recently on some very high quality recordings..
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #7,402 of 22,116
Quote:
One thing u can do to eliminate noise is to connect ur amp directly to the wall...no other cables/connectors in between..a tube amp loves raw clean electricity..my amp needed two  connectors..ouch..but it sounds superclean..u can hear the slightest nuances of instruments and sometimes hear the room 'breathing' ( dont really know how to say that correctly in english..sorry) in the recording..queen were masters in that area i found out recently on some very high quality recordings..
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, in this instance, my actual outlet was poorly wired. After fixing it, it plugs right into my power strip with all of my other office stuff and I've never had noise, on any amp in the strip. I like the strip so much I bought six of them for use around my house :]

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #7,405 of 22,116
Glad to hear that tube noise is not as common as some might have me believe. There's a particularly scathing review on the Lyr at Amazon for instance, that I'm sure has turned a lot of prospective buyers off. Sounds like it can be problem if you have the wrong tubes, so that bit of complication is probably behind the negative rumors. Most Amazon buyers would simply write a bad review and send it back without thinking to change the Tubes out. That's why they need to come to forums like this one.
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #7,406 of 22,116
Quote:
Still haven't been able to get all 3 hooks of the velour pads into the earpud cup. The thing works but I should be able to get them all in there. Help? 

try using a credit card.  push the credit card into the hook and it will snap into place on the headphone

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Feb 16, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #7,407 of 22,116
I'm not sure what kind of amp you'd need to get the most out of an HE-400, but it sounded quite nice off my Onkyo TX-SV515PRO's headphone jack, enough for me to get reasonable impressions of its performance.

I could have attempted to wire it up to the speaker taps (in fact, this is why I have an integrated receiver as part of my headphone setup; speaker-level output is required for electrostatic transformer boxes like Stax SRDs), but I sure as hell wasn't going to mess with someone else's HE-400 like that, especially with two other people waiting to audition that exact headphone.

Word is that the HE-6 is the one model in the lineup that really does demand that sort of power, though...

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #7,408 of 22,116
Been searching this thread for 15mins and couldn't find the exact thing I want so I'll just ask

Does the amazon beyer headband pad fit right over the stock one? Found several posts of people ordering them or talking about them, but couldn't find an exact answer

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #7,409 of 22,116
Quote:
Been searching this thread for 15mins and couldn't find the exact thing I want so I'll just ask

Does the amazon beyer headband pad fit right over the stock one? Found several posts of people ordering them or talking about them, but couldn't find an exact answer

Yes it fits nicely so long as you don't button the middle buttons, just do the outer ones. Otherwise you'd need to bend the leather inwards to button all of them. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #7,410 of 22,116
Sweet thanks

Has anyone tried repainting them?
When I get my hands on the HE-400s, they will be modded after a month or so

Regrilled, Beyer pad, and maybe repainted to a matte black finish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back