**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 11, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #7,246 of 22,116
Well, about fifteen hours till I have a pair of HE-400's myself. Already got a schiit magni/modi for them, which have also been great with my current cans. My wife asked to listen to them on the schiit stack before I get home so I guess they'll get a bit of break in before I get to them.
o2smile.gif

Planning to throw on the velours after spending some time with the stock pads as well. I'll post some early impressions here tomorrow.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #7,247 of 22,116
Quote:

Planning to throw on the velours after spending some time with the stock pads as well. I'll post some early impressions here tomorrow.

I really couldn't listen to the stock pads for very long.  When you pull the ear cups away from your head a little bit and hear what the HE-400 is really capable of, it's hard to live with.  Listen for yourself, but I will testify that switching to the velours improves things immensely =P

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #7,248 of 22,116
Yeah, I'm interested in hearing the difference and will post what I hear about it. That's why I ordered the velours right along with them and one of hifiman's portable carrying cases :wink: I've never tried an orthodynamic before so I am quite excited.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #7,249 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah, I'm interested in hearing the difference and will post what I hear about it. That's why I ordered the velours right along with them and one of hifiman's portable carrying cases :wink: I've never tried an orthodynamic before so I am quite excited.

Be prepared for a brand new experience. It's really refreshing when you hear a planar for the first time.

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #7,250 of 22,116
I mentioned last week my idea of attaching self adhesive velour to the jergpads/ modded pleathers to increase comfort and reduce the hot and sweaty feeling you get especially in the summer, well I completed my little project last night.

I picked up some velour from my local arts and crafts store, although this isn't really velour, but it feels just as good if not better. I had it expertly stitched on by my mom, what a life saver! Some pics of the pads:

I also used some pantyhose as a dust screen rather than the stock pleather dust screen because I found it too thick and dense which toned down the treble a little too much. The thinner screen helps bring back the "fun factor" just like the velours

And lastly some glamour shots from my lowly point and shoot camera:

A few words on sound and comfort. Comfort is far improved over stock pleathers and even velour pads. The pleather pads have a much softer memory foam than the velours which are stiff, so this mod takes best features of both and combines them. 

Sound is everything you've read about the jergpad mod, more balanced and smoother, vocals are better presented and the tizzy sound seems to have gone. My earlier complaints about micro details being harder to pick out doesn't stand anymore because of the thinner dust screen. Sound stage and imaging seem on par as the velours so im happy with that. Bass not too sure on, if there are differences it's a little early to say.

All in all Im really happy with how things turned out!

edit: I have since done the sub-bass mod which has helped elevate the bass and even surpass it in comparison to the velours. It extends lower before rolling off, and seems to have more body.

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #7,252 of 22,116
Just ordered a pair of HE 400s from Amazon.com. Should be here on Thursday. I'll be comparing them to Ultrasone Pro 900s. I assume the mids and highs will be better, I just hope they have enough Bass kick to suit me. I listen to a lot of Electronic music... I have a feeling even if the Bass isn't that strong, the rest of the spectrum is going to blow me away so bad that it won't matter. 
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #7,253 of 22,116
Quote:
I mentioned last week my idea of attaching self adhesive velour to the jergpads/ modded pleathers to increase comfort and reduce the hot and sweaty feeling you get especially in the summer, well I completed my little project last night.

I picked up some velour from my local arts and crafts store, although this isn't really velour, but it feels just as good if not better. I had it expertly stitched on by my mom, what a life saver! Some pics of the pads:

I also used some pantyhose as a dust screen rather than the stock pleather dust screen because I found it too thick and dense which toned down the treble a little too much. The thinner screen helps bring back the "fun factor" just like the velours

And lastly some glamour shots from my lowly point and shoot camera:

A few words on sound and comfort. Comfort is far improved over stock pleathers and even velour pads. The pleather pads have a much softer memory foam than the velours which are stiff, so this mod takes best features of both and combines them. 

Sound is everything you've read about the jergpad mod, more balanced and smoother, vocals are better presented and the tizzy sound seems to have gone. My earlier complaints about micro details being harder to pick out doesn't stand anymore because of the thinner dust screen. Sound stage and imaging seem on par as the velours so im happy with that. Bass not too sure on, if there are differences it's a little early to say.

All in all Im really happy with how things turned out!

Very nice. I wonder if actual self-adhesive velour can be bought so that it saves the trouble of stitching into the pleathers though.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #7,254 of 22,116

Very, very nice. Looks like it could be itchy, but I'd take that chance over sticky and sweaty pleather any day of the week.

So much want.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #7,255 of 22,116
Quote:
Very nice. I wonder if actual self-adhesive velour can be bought so that it saves the trouble of stitching into the pleathers though.

I messaged the sellers of those self adhesive velour material I posted last week about. Turns out that it's not exactly what we are looking for when mentioning velour. They say it's really stiff and thin, much unlike velour fabric. They advised against using it as a headphone pad material so I skipped it. 

But in the end it was much more trouble cutting the right shape of the velour to attach to the pad, the stitching was a breeze for my mom. Took no longer than 5 minutes.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #7,256 of 22,116
Quote:
Very, very nice. Looks like it could be itchy, but I'd take that chance over sticky and sweaty pleather any day of the week.

So much want.

It's not itchy at all for me, but maybe for others it could be. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #7,258 of 22,116
Quote:

It's not itchy at all for me, but maybe for others it could be. 

It is definitely the next logical step in modding the pleather pads: improving the fit and comfort without compromising what makes it sound good.

I might have to try it some time soon. Alternatively, it'd be awesome if I could mail the pads to you and your kind mother could do a much better sewing job than me 
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #7,259 of 22,116
Quote:
Cables on the HE-400 have pretty much come apart completely at the strain relief. Sigh, will have to find the time to go into the store and swap them (I think I'm still on warranty). And since the Audezes are in the my friend's office, I've been stuck with the HD428 as movie cans the whole weekend. Dang, the mids are clear on these. It's a different kind of clarity from the not-so-planar mids of the 400s, but still pretty nice.

This will help with the cable and strain relief issue if you are willing to go with an after market cable. 

The nice part is that you can have these for all your hp's and just buy one nice aftermarket cable and use it with all hp's. 
size]

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #7,260 of 22,116
Quote:
It is definitely the next logical step in modding the pleather pads: improving the fit and comfort without compromising what makes it sound good.

I might have to try it some time soon. Alternatively, it'd be awesome if I could mail the pads to you and your kind mother could do a much better sewing job than me 
tongue.gif

She thought I was crazy going through so much work modding my pads, im sure she won't think anything of me receiving another pair from half way across the globe to have her stitch. 
biggrin.gif

I guess we all have a little crazy in us, this is head-fi after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back