**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #7,216 of 22,116
Quote:
After a few days of owning them, I feel like the HE-400 might be end game for me.  I got to listen to them properly amped for a day before the amp died, probably due to ecstasy overload.  The sound was just luxurious, and the instrument separation and general intimacy was on a level I've never heard from a headphone before (granted, I've never been able to demo a really expensive headphone).  Once the replacement amp gets here I will probably be content with these (plus the MDR-1R for portable use) for a very long time.  I'm super excited.

You sure?
size]

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #7,218 of 22,116
So my bedroom rig will be a simple Fiio E17 and the Sennheiser HD-595. The Hifiman HE-300 are going to be the main rig for my fiancee'.

I just realized how heavy the HE-400 are by putting the HD-595 on. They seriously felt ... cheap. Like there was nothing on my head. They sound amazing, but as a big guy, I actually like the weight of the HE-400. It's comforting. Weird feeling to go from that to a lighter headphone. Before the HE-400, the HD-595 felt just fine on my head.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #7,219 of 22,116
Hmm interesting about the asgard 2. I have Asgard 1 since like 3 days, and im not going to change it anytime soon (really brought up new life to the HPs over my Fiio E17).
Unfortunatelly im getting a lot of Static from the Laptops Grounding, but its something i think ill be able to solve with a ground looper isolator.... i just wonder if they sound may suffer due to this.

Dont get me wrong, the statis is non existant once you get any music going (its not loud, just an annoying pitch), but i have to get rid of it.
Also, This asgard thing gets really hot... damn i wish i got a girl this hot. I know its suppoed to deal well with heat, but im still getting it a laptop cooling pad (its virtually cold when it gets on my current laptop stand). Anyone knows how much heat can it handle? (Dont know if ill be able to get the cooling stand before friday, and id love to keep using it during the week, but would not want to damage it, warranty or not).

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #7,220 of 22,116
For me The HE-400 are my end game (at least for 2013 :D).

I suspect the HE-500 or HE-6.. or whatever they are coming with next will be clearly better if i test it, But for the time beeing, im going to stop here (maybe ill get the Bifrost as a DAC to replace my Fiio E17, but i highly doubt it, at least for now...)

I invested a decent amount of money in the sound and i FINALLY got it sounding the way i wanted.
I agree with Jason that the Asgard is a good pair for the HE-400, as it filled a few small gaps that i felt were missing. (but this is 100% subjective so no way to tell exactly).

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #7,222 of 22,116
Quote:
Marley maan,

just the post I was looking for. I switched to velours yesterday and while the sound is better than the pleaters, the material really irritates around my ears. I did not want to go back to the pleaters and you have given me a great idea. Gotta involve the wife though.

I'll let you know how this went.

Thanks

Don't forget to read this how-to: http://www.head-fi.org/t/650518/hifiman-velour-earpads-leather-modification-the-marleypads

It involves every little secret technique I used :wink:

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #7,223 of 22,116
Quote:
As long as you're happy with what you're hearing there's no need to change, for now at least.

Yep, this is the most important thing, the subjective experience of the HE400 (or any other headphone) owner.

There once was a time when I had utterly no issue with my HE400's sound, back summer of last year. Due to some problems I had to replace it, which ended up being the sibilant yellow driver fiasco, and even when I replaced that with the fixed rev.2 afterwards, I could not ignore the treble colouration any more, it's like a switch was toggled in my brain and the HE400s no longer sounded perfect, even though objectively the HE400s I have now probably measure identical to the pair I had back in the summer.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #7,227 of 22,116
I'm looking at these at the moment.

They'll be mostly use at home, most of the time i just fall asleep with my music.
are the metal part on the side solid? can i fall asleep with them without worriying about founding them destroyed next morning?

are they good for Rap and RnB?
How different the amp bring the sound compared to an ipod touch 4gen?
portable amp possible?

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #7,228 of 22,116
I wouldn't want to fall asleep with them, or any other full-sized headphone for that matter.  Their cups tend to be too big for resting your head on pillows.  I'd use IEMs for that.

They're great for rap and rnb.  An amp will be a modest improvement.  I'd prefer a desktop amp with them.

The metal yokes and headband adjustment are solid.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #7,229 of 22,116
Anyone use these with a C421 (OPA227) or a E09k?

I'm kind of interested in getting a pair of HE-400 for home, where I really never listen for more than an hour at a time, so the comfort wouldn't be much of an issue. In general, I'm fairly sensitive when it comes to head clamp/pressure on the jaws. 

I've got both a HD600 and HD650 currently (one for the office and one for home, though I haven't decided yet), but there is enough overlap in sound, that I'm tempted to try the HE-400 and let one of them go. That being said, I'd rather not pump a lot into an amp for home where I don't listen much. I already have a C421 and just ordered a E09k, maybe to use at home.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #7,230 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm looking at these at the moment.

They'll be mostly use at home, most of the time i just fall asleep with my music.
are the metal part on the side solid? can i fall asleep with them without worriying about founding them destroyed next morning?

are they good for Rap and RnB?
How different the amp bring the sound compared to an ipod touch 4gen?
portable amp possible?

As long as you don't toss and turn a lot after falling asleep, they should be fine...they are quite solid and quality built.  I think they are pretty spectacular for Rap/R&B/Soul personally.  I would definitely advise that you get an amp.  For a portable setup, I would have to recommend the Fiio E17 (though I've not personally tried it) - it seems to be a good pairing for most HE-400 owners.  Plus, it's EQ and features are said to be very good.  The best way to use it with an iPod is with a LOD (line out adapter http://www.fiio.com.cn//upFile/20125494653.jpg ).  Otherwise, you could connect it to a laptop via USB.  How portable would you like it to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back