**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 1, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #6,751 of 22,116
Quote:
There is "Gain" setting. Default is 0, so set it to 6 or even 12. Should be loud enough :wink:

Edit: And set source to max (or close to max) volume

hi thanks for the help.. won't the gain reduce the sound quality if set to max...? but I also did that... I guess I must've gotten used to the louder e7 for too long... even at max gain and volume could barely hear anything... and won't the usb connection to your PC override whatever volume setting you have on your source?thanks...

oh got it... I guess PC volume settings does not get overriden by the usb connection... my pc had a low level volume... thanks dude..

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #6,752 of 22,116
Got my HE-400 yesterday along with the Schiit Bifrost DAC and Asgard amplifier. My first impression was that unamped, the HE-400 were kinda "quiet". While the manufacturer claims it can be used directly with the ipods of the world, methinks amplification is highly recommended if not actually required. With the combo mentioned above, my God, everything comes alive. I am hearing instruments that I never heard before.

I am a basshead but the bass on these cans is different (in an amazingly beautiful way), tight, controlled with very good extension. As an aside, as I type and listen, I think McCartney was an underrated bass guitar player! To my ear, the mids are not as recessed as I expected having read some reviews. And the treble is simply beautiful. The overall sense is one of clarity and accuracy of the instruments. The vocals are velvety and the cans laid out in stark contrast, the hard-edged voice of Lennon and the smooth voice of McCartney.

In all, I guess I am reinforcing the opinions voiced by many owners of the HE-400 that this is awesome value for the money. And all this with the pleather pads. Wayne, I can't wait to get the J$ pads (making its journey now to India) and finally when I get the guts to do it, the Jergpad mod.

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #6,753 of 22,116
+1 on the Miles Davis recommendation

Some other recommendations:

Blue Train - Coltrane
Mingus Ah Um, Mingus x 5 - Charles Mingus
Time Out - Dave Brubeck
Moanin' - Art Blakey
Soul Station - Hank Mobley

If downloading from iTunes, give it a listen first before purchasing.  Some of the tracks have a distinct "hiss" even at low volume levels.  Any way to correct this or is it strictly the recording quality?

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #6,755 of 22,116
Quote:

That's just an opinion.  Just one.  The Fostex variants have a lot of followings, but the Paradox also falls just slightly under a pair of used HE-500s, when it comes to price.

If you buy used, the Paradox only costs $300, but you're right, it isn't about what I think is good.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #6,756 of 22,116
Quote:
If you buy used, the Paradox only costs $300, but you're right, it isn't about what I think is good.

I'll even go out on a limb and point out that I don't think any variant of the Fostex is worth anything greater than $300.  In buying a pair, what one needs to realize is that if they purchase it, it would be because it has to mean something of value to the buyer.  In the used market, the Fostex variants have a hard time with value retention.  So, if an original pair of Paradox headphones ran $459 new, then $300 used, that's a big financial hit.  Then again, items that are "custom" often have problems when it comes to value determination.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #6,757 of 22,116
You're paying for a significant increase in price due to the fact that it's a custom job, not that there is that amount of sound quality increase.. would never spend that much money when the original price is so low!

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #6,760 of 22,116
Quote:
ninjames what ever happened to that custom painted HD-300 of yours? Did you post pics or maybe I missed them?

They're comin'! Also, a bunch of pics of the disassembly process. Just waiting on my buddy to get sorted, right after finishing he had to move, so it's a bit chaotic right now. I'm shipping my HE-400 to him shortly, too, so I'll be without them for like two weeks :[

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #6,761 of 22,116
They're comin'! Also, a bunch of pics of the disassembly process. Just waiting on my buddy to get sorted, right after finishing he had to move, so it's a bit chaotic right now. I'm shipping my HE-400 to him shortly, too, so I'll be without them for like two weeks :[

What colour are you gonna do those??

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #6,762 of 22,116
Quote:

Ah cool, just thought I may have missed them.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #6,764 of 22,116
Quote:
You're paying for a significant increase in price due to the fact that it's a custom job, not that there is that amount of sound quality increase.. would never spend that much money when the original price is so low!

I've been curious about hearing a modified T50RP for some time, and it would be nice to have a closed headphone from time to time.  It is almost hard to justify the price difference, but consider the amount of time and research that went into tuning a Mad Dog and ensuring that each sounds the same on a small scale.  If it really can perform, compete with higher end cans and people are willing to pay, the price is justifiable I guess - plus, I believe MrSpeakers offers a warranty on his work.  There is the temptation to try my hand at working through a laundry list of modifications, but I've read a mixed bag of results.  I can't say if this would be the best option for an alternative to the HE-400 for someone who wants a closed-back, isolating option - anyone have any thoughts?

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #6,765 of 22,116
Quote:
I've been curious about hearing a modified T50RP for some time, and it would be nice to have a closed headphone from time to time.  It is almost hard to justify the price difference, but consider the amount of time and research that went into tuning a Mad Dog and ensuring that each sounds the same on a small scale.  If it really can perform, compete with higher end cans and people are willing to pay, the price is justifiable I guess - plus, I believe MrSpeakers offers a warranty on his work.  There is the temptation to try my hand at working through a laundry list of modifications, but I've read a mixed bag of results.  I can't say if this would be the best option for an alternative to the HE-400 for someone who wants a closed-back, isolating option - anyone have any thoughts?

I know I regret selling mine and will probably be getting another pair (MLE style).

I made a pact with myself that my collection is more then it should be and anything I get from this point on will be a replacement rather then an addition, that being said I sold mine to add to funds for a used pair of Lcd-2s and have regretted it since. I enjoy  the Lcd-2s, don't get me wrong,  but the Mad Dogs were just fantastic: comfortable, dynamic,  and complimented my other HPs very well. Dan does tremendous work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back