**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #6,436 of 22,116
I think the wine red makes the HE-400 look more sophisticated. I would definitely pay to get them colored that way... just not a nasty gloss paint.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #6,437 of 22,116
Quote:
And Merkil has taken me back to the high school and college years . . . LOL. No doubt, when the trance started, things sometimes got a little intense. But no one ever gets pissed with the luscious emotion of trance!

And I thought I had killed those braincells.

ahahahah 
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #6,438 of 22,116
OMG, Paul Oakenfold's 1999 Essential Mix World Tour is amazing...legendary! Seriously, just about every set is great - Miami, Shanghai, Havana.. and then have a listent to Carl Cox's world tour from 1998 for something a bit different tempo wise, but equally as brilliant. 
L3000.gif

The only thing I've heard recently to compare is Above & Beyond's mix from 2004! Thanks for the bringing back all those memories merkil!

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #6,441 of 22,116
Quote:
OMG, Paul Oakenfold's 1999 Essential Mix World Tour is amazing...legendary! Seriously, just about every set is great - Miami, Shanghai, Havana.. and then have a listent to Carl Cox's world tour from 1998 for something a bit different tempo wise, but equally as brilliant. 
L3000.gif

The only thing I've heard recently to compare is Above & Beyond's mix from 2004! Thanks for the bringing back all those memories merkil!

He was killing it back then. I haven't heard all the sets in that year from him but now I feel like I must download them lol but that opening @ space….I kept the first 20 min of the set just for it….perfect song for an intro …..

…..So many great DJs in those years…

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #6,443 of 22,116
Quote:
My J$ arrived. So I just slip the velour off the plastic and slide these over top in the same manner correct? I'll have to stop at the fabric store tomorrow too to look for something to attach in there as a cover.

Thanks for the Zelda soundtrack tip. Any idea who the orchestra is?

You can just cut it off from the pleathers if you want. I did that and used small pieces of duct tape to stretch it over the ring.

Speaking of electronica, anyone listen to Christ.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syQ2MHFleXQ

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #6,446 of 22,116
basshead.gif

It's stupid how much the HE400s improve with jergpads compared to velours (smoothing out the treble, adding weight and balance to vocals, boost the engagement of music in general).

I partially take back my words from a couple of days ago about how they are vastly inferior compared to jergpadded HE500s (I was comparing velour HE400 vs jergpadded HE500 at the time), these are still amazing, just need the jergpads for that to happen. The transformation is staggering.

I just didn't get much chance to listen to this combo since I formulated the earpad mod since I was so entranced with how the HE500s sounded with my jergpads. The last time I tried HE400 and jergpads was probably 10 days ago when I was just developing the mod, since then I was sitting on only 1 pair of modded pads and lent the other ones away for the time being.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #6,447 of 22,116
Quote:
My J$ arrived. So I just slip the velour off the plastic and slide these over top in the same manner correct? I'll have to stop at the fabric store tomorrow too to look for something to attach in there as a cover.

Thanks for the Zelda soundtrack tip. Any idea who the orchestra is?

Don't forget to read Jerg's "Jergalicious" ear pad modification thread, too.  There is a step that involves some placement of tape strips to perform a bit of isolation.  This will work and making the sub-bass even better.  The, take your time and give them a few days to perform your opinion on them.  Listen to a lot of music to capture a well-rounded opinion.

Quote:
Seeing as they fetch around 330-350 on forums used, I doubt a sale price would give more than $20 off the retail. Best deal I found was with free shipping + free velour pads. Works for me.

An "open box" pair of HE-400s is $339 at: http://www.headphone.com/support/b-stock-outlet.php   I've read that the HE-400s may include free postage on this pair, or that was reflected in the deals thread.  However, with the shipping possibly or possibly not free, YMMV.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #6,448 of 22,116
Quote:
basshead.gif

It's stupid how much the HE400s improve with jergpads compared to velours (smoothing out the treble, adding weight and balance to vocals, boost the engagement of music in general).

I partially take back my words from a couple of days ago about how they are vastly inferior compared to jergpadded HE500s (I was comparing velour HE400 vs jergpadded HE500 at the time), these are still amazing, just need the jergpads for that to happen. The transformation is staggering.

I just didn't get much chance to listen to this combo since I formulated the earpad mod since I was so entranced with how the HE500s sounded with my jergpads. The last time I tried HE400 and jergpads was probably 10 days ago when I was just developing the mod, since then I was sitting on only 1 pair of modded pads and lent the other ones away for the time being.

You can't just write flaming statements, then come back and soften up on your views.  Do you realize how many scars you've created on the minds of the members here by posting your opinions.  All this modding mumbo-jumbo has the members viewing you as some sort of god and they await your postings with baited breath.  
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #6,449 of 22,116
I know I know, sorry for the scars I incurred on you Wayne (you were probably the only one who actually took the time to read my original hurtful post 2 days ago).

Seriously though, I was contemplating real hard earlier today in selling these HE400s because they (with vintage HFM velours on) sounded downright sibilant and U-shaped low-fi beside my HE500s (which had the jergpads on); then as a last ditch effort I swapped the jergpads back onto the HE400s and I've been listening to these instead of the HE500s for the past hour or two.

I ain't even trying to promote my mod, every HE400 owner owes their HE400s this mod. It's laughable how downright unlistenable the HE400s sound with other pads relatively speaking.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #6,450 of 22,116
More rollercoaster and wishy washy impressions on these magical changing pads.

Tomorrow, people will be be retrofitting Orpheus pads on the HE-400, making them rival Stax SR-009s.

Just...no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back