**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #6,421 of 22,116
Quote:

I don't need to "experience everything" first-hand to make my judgements. I am one of those persons that thinks that, if you are looking for a big change, you need to switch headphones. I straight up wouldn't be expecting anything from a pad swap, cable swap, or even amp swap, provided the amps spec'd out about the same. In my experience, over and over, there are certain specs you should try to meet, but otherwise its always speakers speakers speakers that matter. That and a good recording
biggrin.gif

The subtle changes from a different pad or a major mod are what makes this a fun hobby if you ask me.

If you ever heard a stock D2/5k then a Lawton modded D2/5k I think you would change your stance about switching headphones. An even a better example is the Fostex T50rp, stock it is so lifeless it is a crime, some mods (Mad Dogs, Paradox  or even your own) you honestly have a world class headphone that is comparable to the big boys. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #6,423 of 22,116
Quote:
Liking my Modi and Magni with these more and more each day. I feel like they're getting all the power they need, and some. I also cant, for the life of me, discern a difference between the Magni + attenuators and without (from a sound quality standpoint). The extra play on the volume knob is really nice with them in.

Been listening to a lot of video game music and chip-tune and it sounds great with the HE-400

I may have to look into those attenuators you posted and give them a try.  I have to agree with you that chiptunes sound incredible with these, as does any electronic music really.  I can't complain as I listen to the genre quite often (as well as dabble in it myself). 
cool.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #6,424 of 22,116
I've had my HE-400's for the past 5 days and I gotta say... well... I don't know what word can some it all up.  I think one of the most enjoyable things for me is their wide open and airy feeling.  I've never owned an open pair of headphones before so I could have never commented on what "open and airy" sounded like but now I see.  Music sounds so much more... alive... or maybe it has more energy.  Pardon my lack of headphone vocabulary, but it's fun getting all these feelings from just listening to a pair of headphones.  Gotta agree with a lot of people saying electronic music is so great on these.  There are times when the bass feels like it hits even harder than my old m50's did.  I gotta take some time and expand my electronic music collection!  Listening to various OST from games and movies is a blast; literally.  I guess that what people call "aggressive".  I don't know if this is all just from my very high expectations, but for my very first high end headphones I am loving the experience.  And this is all from just using my itty bitty fiio amp, I cant wait for my Magni and Modi to get here. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #6,425 of 22,116
Anybody know?

Portable in the way they are battery powered or in the way that they are small and portable but need electricity?

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #6,426 of 22,116
So I totally forgot that my dad had my Audio-GD DAC 19mk3 at his house and since I am waiting for my schiit stack to arrive I figured I would swoop by and borrow it for a day or two. Well, lets just say that I am completely lost for words upon hearing the same music I had on earlier this week with the HE-400's. I thought these babies sounded damn good stock (no amp/dac) but I cannot for the life of me describe how much better sounding they are with this DAC. I have a feeling my schiit modi won't sound this good so I am tempted to never bring back the audio-gd to my father. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't know how well the audio-gd holds up to newer DAC's but I am truly blown away. 
beyersmile.png

EDIT: Ok, I've calmed down a bit, here is what sticks out the most:

1. For one, there is absolutely ZERO noise. Its just black. It's almost makes me a little nervous...
  2. Bass slam on the HE-400 was already pretty good, but this takes it up like 3 flights of stairs. Such force. I'm not exaggerating. It's phenomenal. 
  3. Everything is just crisper. That was the most noticeable thing that I experienced. 
  4. Soundstage is bigger. Like way bigger. 
  5. I'm not sure how to describe this last point but everything just seems 'smoother'. Music just flows. It's just breathtaking. 
  6. The whole treble issue doesn't seem to be that big of an issue but I think thats just because my ears are adjusting. Maybe the DAC toned it down? Not sure. 

@merkil

I loved 90% of the songs you listed. I must hear more of this 'golden age' trance! 

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #6,427 of 22,116
Quote:
I loved 90% of the songs you listed. I must hear more of this 'golden age' trance! 

Look up anything by Paul Oakenfold - Live at Ibitha, Live at Kremlin, Live in China, Live at Homelands, Live at Havana. Perfecto Presents another world was amazing.

Also look up Sasha and John Digweed - Northern Exposure. AMAZING if you can get into the zone with it.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #6,428 of 22,116
Quote:
Look up anything by Paul Oakenfold - Live at Ibitha, Live at Kremlin, Live in China, Live at Homelands, Live at Havana. Perfecto Presents another world was amazing.

Also look up Sasha and John Digweed - Northern Exposure. AMAZING if you can get into the zone with it.

Paul Oakenfold was very good live. I have a 20 min opening from a a set he did "25.07.1999 - Paul Oakenfold - Live @Home in Space, Ibiza" with an opening track of Nalin & Kane - Open Your Eyes (Reworked Club Mix), the build up is awesome. 

@ aiml3ss

​I will give you one last link  to what is with out a doubt the most popular trance song of 2003. I mentioned it before Motorcycle - As the Rush Comes (sweeping strings remix). It was so popular that the second best song of that year you could argue was the same song but the Armin Van Burrin Remix (this version has a lot more strings in it as that was Armin's style). I mean, its a great song and in 2003 it helped propel trance to the mainstream big time. The radio edit of this song was on repeat on major radio stations that it became ridiculous. I couldn't listen to it anymore, it was playing all the time. To me this song was the double edge sword in this genre. It made trance very popular and in 2004 it was a very good year with lots of hits but at the same time because of the high popularity subsequent years past 2004 were not the same. To many artists not enough quality songs IMO, and thats when I cut the cord. I blame this song for the most part lol.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #6,429 of 22,116
@ merkil

Good song but I guess I don't get why that was so popular compared to the others you listed. Was it new at the time to add vocals? 

The history of trance is pretty interesting. Thanks again for the links. I'm off to discover more! 
cool.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #6,430 of 22,116
Quote:
@ merkil

Good song but I guess I don't get why that was so popular compared to the others you listed. Was it new at the time to add vocals? 

The history of trance is pretty interesting. Thanks again for the links. I'm off to discover more! 
cool.gif

it wasn't new to add vocals, it was just a catchy song at the time. I mean the lyrics to this song can stick in your head and it caught on very big. Just one of those things.

There are some ASOT year end mixes by Armin up on youtube that you can check out. Just google ASOT and the year, the whole set with playlist will be on youtube. That will give you a good idea of what was released that year and thats how majority of people discovered songs. I remember just listening to playlists from djs and noting the tracks so I could hunt down the singles afterwards. Not to mention the countless various artists cds that are out.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #6,431 of 22,116
Even though these aren't the greatest headphones for orchestra music in the grand scheme of things, this Zelda 25th anniversary album sounds absolutely amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qp-ypYp6rQ

Anyone who was a fan of Zelda needs to check it out now.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #6,432 of 22,116
My J$ arrived. So I just slip the velour off the plastic and slide these over top in the same manner correct? I'll have to stop at the fabric store tomorrow too to look for something to attach in there as a cover.

Thanks for the Zelda soundtrack tip. Any idea who the orchestra is?

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #6,434 of 22,116
And Merkil has taken me back to the high school and college years . . . LOL. No doubt, when the trance started, things sometimes got a little intense. But no one ever gets pissed with the luscious emotion of trance!

And I thought I had killed those braincells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back