**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 25, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #6,196 of 22,116
Quote:
The treble was fatiguing? That just doesn't make sense. The treble is so smooth, compared to the quite prominent treble on the HE400. If there is one thing I can personally say about the HD650, its that its the most pleasant, unfatiguing headphone I have ever heard.

Maybe that burson is raising the treble to some nasty levels, because HD650 and fatiguing treble, don't belong in the same sentence.

Nonono, you're misunderstanding. I meant that the treble was a tad brighter / more fatiguing compared to my HE500 (which I also brought to the shop I demo'd from), and the difference is likely in tonal balance around the lower treble. In terms of upper treble HD650s sound very refined (much better than HE400s), just a bit more blurred vs HE500.

We are talking small differences on a relative level here, and compared to the venerable HE500 which are known to have one of the most forgiving and non-fatiguing yet detailed trebles out there.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #6,197 of 22,116

I just wanted to post my version of the Jergpads.

Regarding sound quality: the sound overal is much more balanced, I just cut 2 db in the 10khz region, and even this isn't necessary.
The velours have a slightly bigger soundstage, and there is a bit more space between sounds (seperation).

I did do a mod on the pleathers by just removing the spacers, but this actually sounded even more unbalanced than the stock velours.
However removing the spacers and adding the other modifications of jerg transformed the frequency response drastically. No more obvious peaks and valleys.

I'm sticking to the Jergs!

(until I get the j$, than I stick to the J$s)

ps: sorry for taking up so much space

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #6,198 of 22,116
Quote:

I just wanted to post my version of the Jergpads.

Regarding sound quality: the sound overal is much more balanced, I just cut 2 db in the 10khz region, and even this isn't necessary.
The velours have a slightly bigger soundstage, and there is a bit more space between sounds (seperation).

I did do a mod on the pleathers by just removing the spacers, but this actually sounded even more unbalanced than the stock velours.
However removing the spacers and adding the other modifications of jerg transformed the frequency response drastically. No more obvious peaks and valleys.

I'm sticking to the Jergs!

(until I get the j$, than I stick to the J$s)

ps: sorry for taking up so much space

Nice photo :)
What do you find wrong with the velours?
Other than the comfort (a slight issue though) I dont find them unbalanced at all. Perhaps ever so slightly bright tilted but balanced IMO

I will b trying the stock denom pads (Lawton). Should be similar to the JMoney Beyer in terms of everything

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #6,199 of 22,116
Quote:
Nonono, you're misunderstanding. I meant that the treble was a tad brighter / more fatiguing compared to my HE500 (which I also brought to the shop I demo'd from), and the difference is likely in tonal balance around the lower treble. In terms of upper treble HD650s sound very refined (much better than HE400s), just a bit more blurred vs HE500.

We are talking small differences on a relative level here, and compared to the venerable HE500 which are known to have one of the most forgiving and non-fatiguing yet detailed trebles out there.

The hd650 are somewhat legendary for a reason.
wink.gif
 The clamp will comform to your head pretty quickly...usually about two days. This is due to pad compression. The are certainly not perfect and probably more a contender than a complement against the he400. With the right amp they make for a nice listen though.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #6,201 of 22,116
Quote:

Other than the comfort (a slight issue though) I dont find them unbalanced at all. Perhaps ever so slightly bright tilted but balanced IMO

I will b trying the stock denom pads (Lawton). Should be similar to the JMoney Beyer in terms of everything

They still have a gap in the upper mids which I can hear quite clearly on some recordings. Some guitars play on just those frequencies, and those guitars are moved way back in the recording.

Some eqing helps a lot with the velours, but the jergs still sound better without an eq.

And yeah the jergs are much more comfortable (maybe a bit sweaty in hot weather though).

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #6,202 of 22,116
Quote:

I don't think that the two will be anywhere close.  I have owned two pair of the Denon J$ pads, which are just like the Lawton Audio pads  They are too thick in the back and they have oval ear openings which tend to block some of the drive output.  But, I do encourage you to try them.  We're always open to hearing the experience of someone who is willing to roll up their sleeves and try something out for the benefit of sharing their views with the members here.

Enjoy!

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #6,203 of 22,116
Quote:

The hd650 are somewhat legendary for a reason.
wink.gif
 The clamp will comform to your head pretty quickly...usually about two days. This is due to pad compression. The are certainly not perfect and probably more a contender than a complement against the he400. With the right amp they make for a nice listen though.

Since we're talking about Sennheisers here tonight, I did get two new pair of 'phones today.  The HD-600s arrived via UPS as a new purchase.  I then purchased the HD-558, which I will use as my night time / sleeping headphones for listening to blues and jazz.

I've only listened to both on my my Sansa Fuze so far, with no amplification.  I think I really like the signature of both - yet, I need time to have the drivers loosen up and also time to push 'em with my headphone listening gear for a better perspective.  Hopefully, the experience will only get better and not head the other way.  Also, this week, I sold off 3 pair of "on ear" headphones.  I've now been able to confirm fully to myself that on ear headphones are the devil.  I despise the level of discomfort that they place on my ears.  On ears, be gone !!!

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #6,204 of 22,116
Guy's, I totally freaking goofed. I got a notice today from the post office about holding my package until the 1st. Since my mom brought me home a package (my personal pair) from the mailbox about a week and a half ago and I had a packing slip, I figured she picked it up for me from the post office and kept the slip. Also I never even got a notice from Jeremy that he had shipped them to me, still haven't until this day... So I'm extremely sorry guys, also sorry is you shelled out the extra cash being a Cannuck and ordered from wje. I got a ton of pads, some for other headphones as well, you'll see the list included in the picture as well as some Grado headphones, I have 30 Beyer pads b-stock and I'm sure that is what most of you are concerned about. Here is the box of glory and again, sorry about my mistake, miscommunication and ironic timing. 

EDIT: All of the pad's are b-stock, my bad, I got excited and misread some of the initial message. None the less, some of them are pretty good but Jeremy hasn't told me what to charge. If you want retail pads please PM wje. 

But guys, these Grado headbands are NICE!!! Wow, some big time quality in those things. 

What you see on top is the Denon b-stock. 

wje, please PM me as Jeremy hasn't given me any details on anything. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #6,205 of 22,116
^^ what happened there?

Anywayz, how would the hd650 compliment the HE-500?

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #6,206 of 22,116
Jerg pads? Wow, I am out of the loop. Gonna try and find out more about it, but I loved the grill mods a lot, so I trust whatever he's cooked up this time won't disappoint!

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #6,207 of 22,116
Hey guys,

Had a quick question regarding the treble spike with the HE-400's. Does it 'tame' after the 150 hour burn in mark that hifiman claims you should do in the manual? Most songs sound brilliant but I'm not sure if I can live with this spike. It feels like its piercing my brain in some songs. If it doesn't subdue, can anyone show me how to control it via EQ?

Also, my Schiit stack should be arriving early next week so that potentially could subdue it? If not, do you guys recommend going the route of tubes? 

Sorry I am a complete noob in this area. Thanks for bearing with me.

Happy listenings! 
size]

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #6,208 of 22,116
Quote:
Jerg pads? Wow, I am out of the loop. Gonna try and find out more about it, but I loved the grill mods a lot, so I trust whatever he's cooked up this time won't disappoint!

Just click the link in my signature

|
 |
V

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #6,210 of 22,116
just got my dt-770 LE today and initial impression is that i feel it lacks a lot of the lower ranged bass, its very quiet
been also looking at the he-400s, can anyone compare? might save up for the 400s

in this song, the bass at 20seconds seems very hidden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G-jJmPb76Y

Users who are viewing this thread

Back