**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 26, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #6,227 of 22,116
Quote:
They do indeed have a blurb about burn in as well.

Anything worth mentioning about this?

I don't have the manual 
size]

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #6,231 of 22,116
Quote:

I don't think that the two will be anywhere close.  I have owned two pair of the Denon J$ pads, which are just like the Lawton Audio pads  They are too thick in the back and they have oval ear openings which tend to block some of the drive output.  But, I do encourage you to try them.  We're always open to hearing the experience of someone who is willing to roll up their sleeves and try something out for the benefit of sharing their views with the members here.

Enjoy!

Actually they are the very basic stock denom pads, not the angled ones. Preproman is using them with all the Hifiman he has. They are only slightly thicker than the stock velour pads.
Nowhere near as thick as either of the JMoneys or angled pads :)

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #6,233 of 22,116
Just bought a headband cushion for the HE-400.

When i got these i said it was pretty comfortable, but i changed my opinion a little after i used them for 2~3 hours straight. It starts getting a little uncomfortable. It's probably because of the weight, not a headband issue, but i bought it anyway.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #6,234 of 22,116
Quote:
Haha, so that would put me back at square one. There aren't many choices, and no choice is perfect. It's either the HD 650 (which is not possible because to make it sound good you have to spend double the price on an amp), the Mad Dogs (which I hear are a clear step down from the HE-400) or the HE-400 (which is bright). It might have to be the Mad Dogs but I kind of wanted something that was a definitive upgrade from the D2000 and I'm not sure the Mad Dogs fits that bill

First, the hd650 doesn't need an $800 amp to sound good. It sounds damned impressive on a used lyr for $350...but so does the he400. Honestly the he400 and hd650 sound pretty dang good on a fiio e09k for $100. The jump from e09 to lyr was very appreciable but I also enjoyed the heck out of both hp's on the e09 and an odac. 

The maddogs are a different story. They are geared more towards a flat response. For example, they do not color the bass but give it to you when the material calls for it. They are truly fine hp's and a steal at the price. They are what you might call a poor man's lcd2. Highly recommended. 

gL!!

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #6,235 of 22,116
Quote:
Another fantastic album that the HE-400 just eats up:  Larry Carlton's "Fire Wire."

Not sure if it's audiophile-grade but the mastering & mixing sounds very good to my ears.  I'm giving the G109 a rest and listening to this album with the ODAC/OBJ2,. simply awesome & wholly engaging.  The HE-400 knows how to deliver this brand of soulful, instrumental blues-rock.

Hey Larry Carlton is great!! Just gave him a listen on MOG. Very smooth jazz guitarist. Definitely worth checking out. Thanks for the heads up on "Fire Wire."

@Justin...I'd be interested to take a look at the manual. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #6,236 of 22,116
Quote:
They do indeed have a blurb about burn in as well.

Quote:
Anything worth mentioning about this?

I don't have the manual 
size]

Straight from the manual (pg 6. "Setup and Operation"):

"Please allow at least 150 hours of constant use for break-in of your new headphone for best sound quality. Volume during the break-in period does not have to be loud and you can enjoy the HE-400 as you would normally"

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #6,237 of 22,116
Another fantastic album that the HE-400 just eats up:  Larry Carlton's "Fire Wire."

Not sure if it's audiophile-grade but the mastering ">I'm giving the G109 a rest and listening to this album with the ODAC/OBJ2,. simply awesome

Hey Larry Carlton is great!! Just gave him a listen on MOG. Very smooth jazz guitarist. Definitely worth checking out. Thanks for the heads up on "Fire Wire."

Speaking of Larry Carlton, you guys listen to any Steely Dan on these? The HE-400's and SD (and Donald Fagan) were made for each other, the music is great, and the engineering/recording is top notch. Each album was recorded not only for the best fidelity but also for instrument separation. Larry played a lot on one of my favorite albums, Aja.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #6,238 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey guys,

Had a quick question regarding the treble spike with the HE-400's. Does it 'tame' after the 150 hour burn in mark that hifiman claims you should do in the manual? Most songs sound brilliant but I'm not sure if I can live with this spike. It feels like its piercing my brain in some songs. If it doesn't subdue, can anyone show me how to control it via EQ?

Also, my Schiit stack should be arriving early next week so that potentially could subdue it? If not, do you guys recommend going the route of tubes? 

Sorry I am a complete noob in this area. Thanks for bearing with me.

Happy listenings! 
size]

I asked absolutely the same question a week ago when I thought I couldn't live with these trebles.  I've now 10 days after purchase and don't know if its the can or my ears which are burned in but I an now live with the trebles for the most part of my collection .  :wink:  give the he-400  a few days of listening before decide to keep them or not :wink:

I should precise that I use an hybrid Dac/amp ( Aune T1) and I found tubes which make he-400 sounds good to my ears
smile.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #6,239 of 22,116
Quote:
Speaking of Larry Carlton, you guys listen to any Steely Dan on these? The HE-400's and SD (and Donald Fagan) were made for each other, the music is great, and the engineering/recording is top notch. Each album was recorded not only for the best fidelity but also for instrument separation. Larry played a lot on one of my favorite albums, Aja.

Yes Steely Dan is gorgeous on them.  I like Doobie Brothers too.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #6,240 of 22,116
Quote:

I've seen you mention MOG a couple of times so I am trying out the trial.  It's pretty nifty!  I was contemplating spending a wad on new music, but after a few clicks being able to download 320k files from even some obscure import stuff I like - it's a pretty cool service.  I have my old squeezebox pulled out and running in the kitchen since it can run the MOG app.  Spotify seems popular but the app always errors out on my SB3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back