**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #5,356 of 22,116
Quote:
Dilemma, got a fatter paycheck than expected, debating whether to get the Lyr now or stick with the Magni and add some horsepower to my Maxima... What do you guys think? Magni and add about 15whp to my car or get the Lyr?

As a former Maxima owner, and current HE-400 owner... I say get the Asgard and pocket the rest.  The Asgard seems to match well to the HE-400 and, according to Schiit, is preferred to the Lyr for this specific set of cans.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #5,358 of 22,116
Quote:
Well, after hearing my HE-400's this whole afternoon, i noticed only one thing that is bothering me a little: There's some pronounced sibilance in some songs, specially on vocals.

Is that normal, or is my HE-400 defective?

Sibalence can also be recording related. For the most part, this hasn't been a huge issue for me.

I would try playing with the EQ a bit to see if you can get a better result. Start by targeting upper frequencies 7-8 Khz. Given that most of the human voice is resolved far below that, however, I would also look (seriously) between about 500 hz - 4 khz. I have tamed vocals somewhat before by trimming between 1-4 khz or a little higher.

Most people here would say to use a parabolic EQ like Electri-Q or something like that. But I think that actually makes it harder to "diagnose" a problem frequency since it "grabs" neighboring frequencies and drags them down too. Start with a regular, crappy slider with as many bands as possible. Then use a parabolic to get a more refined result. I use a 30-band with foobar for example.

But I would also flip between what you think is a bad recording, and a really good one, to balance the impact of the EQ. You want to fix a problem, not lose fidelity for all other listening conditions.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #5,359 of 22,116
Quote:
I know that since these are open they will not do nearly as good of a job at sound leakage as closed, but will everyone be able to hear exactly what I'm listening to in a quiet room? or are they not quite that bad. 

In a quiet room, they will be able to pick out word for word sitting four feet from you. They'll be able to pick out the song across your average dining room, if they concentrate.

Basically, to other people, it sounds like you're listening from a laptop or like it's a phone ringtone or something lol.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #5,360 of 22,116
I'll put it like this.

When I let my brother demo the HE-400 at his place, as he was listening to them, his gf (sitting 10-15 feet across the room) said 'that sounds better than our stereo system.'

Of course it's a lot of exaggeration and humor on her part, but you get the idea.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #5,361 of 22,116
I listen to a ton of EDM, Rap, R&B and the bass reproduction is on point. If you think there's not enough bass from the HE-400, get a new DAC or AMP. Or your music files are not up to par and are mastered like crap.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #5,362 of 22,116
Quote:

My leatherette band buttoned in only at each end.

(listening to Gui Boratto as well).

The added comfort is indeed nice. Takes the pressure off

Is that the one you can find on eBay for like $12 or something? Been thinking about buying one for a couple weeks now lol.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #5,364 of 22,116
Quote:
Closed headphones will always have more bass feedback and reverb, to give a sense of having more bass. In any case, I feel that presence is more or less comparable, with the HE-400's bass being a lot more refined. Think of it as an open (MUCH more so), highly refined M50, with similar bass and treble emphasis.

Just wanna state that I'm a big M50 fan, and the HE-400 should blow you away.

Quote:
I came from the ATH-M50's as well. At first the bass may disappoint you, because I think the ATH-M50's certainly have more bass quantity (and more reverb and all that, like Mad Lust Envy said). But if you're like me, with time you'll appreciate the HE-400's bass much more than the ATH-M50's because of it's detail and texture. Just don't expect the bass impact to floor you.

Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the info.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #5,365 of 22,116
Yeah i got it from amazon, but I'd imagine you could find it elsewhere.

It's comfy :)

this might be a better pic

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #5,366 of 22,116
The Lake People G109-S arrived a few hours ago.  I've got it running with the ODAC & HE-400.

The sound?  I'm pretty sure I've died & gone to heaven.  Just phenomenal sound quality.  It's worth every penny (and more), in my experience so far.

It's freakishly transparent.. and makes the HE-400 sound utterly effortless.  The sound is hypnotically clean, effortless, & natural.  Tremendous depth and detail.  I can't believe the quality of instrument separation, detail, and tonal accuracy I'm hearing.  Just astounding.  It makes the O2 sound, comparatively, slow and muddy 
basshead.gif

My solid state, desktop amp search is over.  This delivers everything I was looking for.

Give me some time to pick my jaw off the floor and gather my thoughts.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #5,367 of 22,116
Quote:
The Lake People G109-S arrived a few hours ago.  I've got it running with the ODAC & HE-400.

The sound?  I'm pretty sure I've died & gone to heaven.  Just phenomenal sound quality.  It's worth every penny (and more), in my experience so far.

It's freakishly transparent.. and makes the HE-400 sound utterly effortless.  The sound is hypnotically clean, effortless, & natural.  Tremendous depth and detail.  I can't believe the quality of instrument separation, detail, and tonal accuracy I'm hearing.  Just astounding.  It makes the O2 sound, comparatively, slow and muddy 
basshead.gif

My solid state, desktop amp search is over.  This delivers everything I was looking for.

Give me some time to pick my jaw off the floor and gather my thoughts.

Glad you like the amp! I would be interested in more A/B comparisons, since I have seen some measurements of that amp and it is quite different than the O2.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #5,368 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah i got it from amazon, but I'd imagine you could find it elsewhere.

It's comfy :)

this might be a better pic

It's comfy indeed but I can't believe you guys are scrunching up the stock headband to snap all the buttons like that!  
size]

I tried it for 1 minute and then undid it and the stock headband look battered and abused.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #5,369 of 22,116
Quote:

It's comfy indeed but I can't believe you guys are scrunching up the stock headband to snap all the buttons like that!  
size]

I tried it for 1 minute and then undid it and the stock headband look battered and abused.

You did it wrong then. The correct way is only to button the two buttons on the very ends, and leave the middle parts open.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #5,370 of 22,116
Yep that's what I did as well

Buttoning up the whole thing doesn't seem like a good idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back