**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #5,341 of 22,116
I dunno how people can have that many problems with it. It takes me like 10 seconds at the most, bare handed. First two are stupid easy, then sliding the third one an then gentle push until it snaps under. Rotate again for the last one and push inward while slightly using downforce. It will snap in, no problem. I'd make a video...

Hmm, maybe I will.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #5,342 of 22,116
Well, after hearing my HE-400's this whole afternoon, i noticed only one thing that is bothering me a little: There's some pronounced sibilance in some songs, specially on vocals.

Is that normal, or is my HE-400 defective?

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #5,343 of 22,116
It's normal. That's basically the biggest shortcoming the HE-400 has. I've owned two, and they were the same.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #5,345 of 22,116
Quote:
Well, after hearing my HE-400's this whole afternoon, i noticed only one thing that is bothering me a little: There's some pronounced sibilance in some songs, specially on vocals.

Is that normal, or is my HE-400 defective?

It's an inherent part of HE400's voicing.

You can see the peak here:

Great for jazz and high-quality recordings (overloads you with microdetails), but very unforgiving for lesser production music. Works quite well with older music (that have treble rolled off) too though, since the upper treble emphasis actually brings out detail that is missing with more neutral cans.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #5,346 of 22,116
Quote:
Just funny how you all flipped the script with pleather/velours. No way in many hells that I'd go back to pleather, and that doesn't include my distaste for it. I actually LIKE the pleathers on the HE400, in that they aren't as disgusting to wear as others.

However, the sound is clearly a step above with velours. Noticeably so. The pleathers were smothering the soundstage, mids were noticeably pushed back, the airiness was stuffy, and due to an even warmer tone, the change towards bright treble was more jarring.

Dunno what people are talking about the bass, as they are basically the exact same, pleather or not.

it's not so much that the bass actually increases with pleather, it's that the less bright/metallic sound mades it seem like there's more bass presence, as you said it does have a warmer tone.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #5,347 of 22,116
Quote:

I'm a huge EDM fan and love the detailed base the HE-400 provide. It's the most clear and non distorted bass in it's class for headphones under $900. 

Maybe you're looking for these. These actually rattle your head 
gs1000.gif
L3000.gif
 http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/11/skullcandys-100-crusher-headphones-promise-to-rattle-your-head-actually-do/

TMRaven explained it clearly to me, and basically it comes down to me having to use too much EQ with not enough power (amp) which causes the bass to distort at the levels I'm looking for. As soon as my M&M stack comes in I'm hoping to be able to get that nice 6-8dB in the lower range to give me what I like without the "bzzz" noise the bass is giving off when apparently underpowered.

And no thanks for the skullcandys. They add resonant frequencies? Not my cup of tea.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #5,348 of 22,116
Quote:
It's an inherent part of HE400's voicing.

You can see the peak here:

Great for jazz and high-quality recordings (overloads you with microdetails), but very unforgiving for lesser production music. Works quite well with older music (that have treble rolled off) too though, since the upper treble emphasis actually brings out detail that is missing with more neutral cans.

I guessed so. Well, nothing is perfect. But i can live with that. My favorite genres(jazz and classical rock) and albums work well with em' after all, so that's not a big deal.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #5,349 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't really have a problem with the headband of the HiFiMan series, the only two headbands that have given me a problem was the LCD-2 and the K701, both have bumps.  Compared to the LCD-2 the HE-400 are super comfortable.

Just finished comparing Dark Side of the Moon on both HD650 and HE-400.  The biggest thing that sticks out is the pinpoint imaging and instrument separation on the HE-400, absolutely fantastic.  HE-400 w/velours has the largest soundstage I've heard besides the K701.

Took a look at your profile - hope you don't mind - but as a musician, how would you compare the LCD2 to the HE-400?

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #5,350 of 22,116
Hey guys, I currently own the ATH-M50's.  How is the bass on the HE-400 compared to the ATH-M50's?  I know the sound quality doesn't compare, I just wanna make sure I'm not downgrading on the bass as I listen to music with some good bass at times.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #5,351 of 22,116
Closed headphones will always have more bass feedback and reverb, to give a sense of having more bass. In any case, I feel that presence is more or less comparable, with the HE-400's bass being a lot more refined. Think of it as an open (MUCH more so), highly refined M50, with similar bass and treble emphasis.

Just wanna state that I'm a big M50 fan, and the HE-400 should blow you away.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #5,352 of 22,116
^^^ good price, $319 for demo HE-400. Hopefully not too worn though.

I saw an Amazon warehouse deals where they had HE-500 for $619 too, not bad at all.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #5,353 of 22,116

My leatherette band buttoned in only at each end.

(listening to Gui Boratto as well).

The added comfort is indeed nice. Takes the pressure off

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #5,354 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey guys, I currently own the ATH-M50's.  How is the bass on the HE-400 compared to the ATH-M50's?  I know the sound quality doesn't compare, I just wanna make sure I'm not downgrading on the bass as I listen to music with some good bass at times.

I came from the ATH-M50's as well. At first the bass may disappoint you, because I think the ATH-M50's certainly have more bass quantity (and more reverb and all that, like Mad Lust Envy said). But if you're like me, with time you'll appreciate the HE-400's bass much more than the ATH-M50's because of it's detail and texture. Just don't expect the bass impact to floor you.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #5,355 of 22,116
Quote:
Took a look at your profile - hope you don't mind - but as a musician, how would you compare the LCD2 to the HE-400?

They are really hard to compare without having the LCD-2 still here.

If your looking to recreate the sound of sitting behind the drums, the LCD-2 will get you closer to that sound.  It has a more detailed texture of actually hitting a drumhead.  Almost sounds like real life on a well recorded album, listen to Chesky Dynamic Drum Test, it's amazing on the LCD-2.

Really, I loved the sound of the LCD-2 but the weight and soundstage were not good at all to me.  HE-400 has better soundstage, air,  instrument separation, and I want to say speed also.  Wish I still had them here to better compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back