**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 6, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #4,366 of 22,116
Quote:

Stick to that story!! Never deviate...

Correct.  Best advise Evar.  If you deviate, it will reveal that you're trying to cover something up, then you are so busted.
Quote:
My fiancee' supports my addiction, and used the opportunity to poach some headphones from my collection. She chose the Fischer Audio OldSkool 33 1/3 RPM which I think was a great choice. She rolls her eyes at all of my amping, though!

Trust me, pre-marriage and actual marriage are two completely different things.  You'll realize this after you go through the cycles.  I'm approaching 27 years of marriage this coming May.  Yes, I'm a veteran.

The divorce statistics have been revised a bit and the new "Top 3" issues that can lead to divorce are as follows:

1. Adultery
  2. Irreconcilable Differences
  3. Addiction to Head-Fi and Buying the Associated Gears that One Reads About and Obsesses over. 

biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #4,367 of 22,116
I'm still evaluating my HE-400's, and today listened to 'the closer' for me for evaluating HPs - my remastered/SACD edition of "Dark Side of the Moon". That will give any HP an excellent work out I think (along with Steely Dan/Donal Fagan which is always on the short list).

A few thoughts so far after 3 days (I switched back to the pleathers for the majority of my time so far):
  1. It was really hard initially in getting used to the weight of them, plus they clamped really hard. Since I have put another heardband on them and stretched them out so they dont clamp so hard, they've gotten much better.
  2. My first impression sound wise were that they were a bit 'flat' (but not dull) sounding- but keep in mind my frame of reference were my Denon's and Grado's. Both are pretty 'fun' sounding cans, and the signature of the HE-400s took some getting use to. (My wife is out of town so I have had alot of time to listen to music)
  3. What stood out from the get go though was their clarity, subtle detail, separation of instruments, and the great mids like vocals and guitars. Soundstage was pretty good too - they are just really good at most everything, but without anything really jumping out at you.
  4. Even though the bass is good (I'm not a bass head) - I dont see all the talk about the big bass sound - it's pretty flat and refined all the way down, but not as 'strong' as I was expecting based on some of the comments I've read.
  5. But the more I listen to them, the more I like them. I thought it would be a bigger step change from my Denon's, and I guess in alot of ways they are, but when my modded Denon's are EQ'ed right they sound prety damn good and are still a really fun can to listen to once you tone down the muddy bass and a bit of the 2k-4k regions.
  6. I still need to go back again and A/B the velour and the pleather pads again - I just didnt initially see a big difference - but if I can get a bit more bass, I'd like to try the velours again. I also have some Lawton leather pads coming in so I will try those later as well.

But listening start to finish to Dark Side of the Moon today it sealed the deal - these phones are pretty amazing for the $.
Pardon the analogy but they are a great bottle of wine compared to a good bottle of tequila :)

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #4,368 of 22,116
Quote:

yes, it can be.  for international, the free shipping I offer is generally going to be First Class International (and i'm not aware of anyone else that will ship international for free).  For locations such as the UK, or Hong Kong, it's generally pretty fast, around a week.  Canada can be slow.  I do always offer to ship Priority/Express/FedEx for an additional charge if it's requested.  it's almost always declined, however.  My other First Class Intl shipments to Canada will show the sort facility in Sandston, VA is the last scan that will occur.  If they are going overseas, there will be 1 additional scan likely in Chicago.

Thanks for chiming in, I do appreciate it. I probably would have opted for the upgrade if I knew it would be taking this long. Oh well, lets hope tomorrow brings shiny blue things
cool.gif

Also, does this have to be signed for or is it going to be locked in the mailbox for packages? I got a PS3 once, console only, old school 60gb, it was a fairly big box, I thought there is no way it's in there but it was
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #4,369 of 22,116
Does the printed text rub off really easy for anyone else? I first noticed the "R" indicator was missing a chunk so I rubbed off both it and the "L". I'll probably just remove all the text for a slightly cleaner look. It's a good thing I don't plan to sell them.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #4,370 of 22,116
Quote:
Does the printed text rub off really easy for anyone else? I first noticed the "R" indicator was missing a chunk so I rubbed off both it and the "L". I'll probably just remove all the text for a slightly cleaner look. It's a good thing I don't plan to sell them.

It was worse for earlier production HE400, later they seemed to have improved the durability of the decals.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #4,371 of 22,116
Hi guys.

I wanted a SPDIF DAC/Amp to use connected into my soundcard for gaming purposes.

I took a look on the Leckerton UHA-6S MKII and got really interested , but i don't know if it can drive the HE-400's well.

Does anyone here have it? Can it power the HE-400's? Are there other options in the price range?

Thanks.

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #4,372 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm still evaluating my HE-400's, and today listened to 'the closer' for me for evaluating HPs - my remastered/SACD edition of "Dark Side of the Moon". That will give any HP an excellent work out I think (along with Steely Dan/Donal Fagan which is always on the short list).

A few thoughts so far after 3 days (I switched back to the pleathers for the majority of my time so far):
  1. It was really hard initially in getting used to the weight of them, plus they clamped really hard. Since I have put another heardband on them and stretched them out so they dont clamp so hard, they've gotten much better.
  2. My first impression sound wise were that they were a bit 'flat' (but not dull) sounding- but keep in mind my frame of reference were my Denon's and Grado's. Both are pretty 'fun' sounding cans, and the signature of the HE-400s took some getting use to. (My wife is out of town so I have had alot of time to listen to music)
  3. What stood out from the get go though was their clarity, subtle detail, separation of instruments, and the great mids like vocals and guitars. Soundstage was pretty good too - they are just really good at most everything, but without anything really jumping out at you.
  4. Even though the bass is good (I'm not a bass head) - I dont see all the talk about the big bass sound - it's pretty flat and refined all the way down, but not as 'strong' as I was expecting based on some of the comments I've read.
  5. But the more I listen to them, the more I like them. I thought it would be a bigger step change from my Denon's, and I guess in alot of ways they are, but when my modded Denon's are EQ'ed right they sound prety damn good and are still a really fun can to listen to once you tone down the muddy bass and a bit of the 2k-4k regions.
  6. I still need to go back again and A/B the velour and the pleather pads again - I just didnt initially see a big difference - but if I can get a bit more bass, I'd like to try the velours again. I also have some Lawton leather pads coming in so I will try those later as well.

But listening start to finish to Dark Side of the Moon today it sealed the deal - these phones are pretty amazing for the $.
Pardon the analogy but they are a great bottle of wine compared to a good bottle of tequila :)

Yes, bass is more neutral than my Denon D5000 was. But if you listen some bass heavy songs then HE-400 will deliver :p I enjoy HE-400 bass a lot more than Denon's. (Maybe im getting old :))

Bass quantity: D2000/D5000 > HE-400
Bass quality: HE-400 >>> D2000/D5000

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #4,373 of 22,116
I have a question for guys in possession of Lyr

Can you hear any audible noise / hum / buzzing during the silent passages or when there is no music playing ?? Driving hifiman family of course ... (he500, he4, he5le especially)

I am a bit worried about Lyr's high gain for pretty sensitive he500 or noise floor having mighty 6W per channel ??

Is it dead silent or tube type dependent ?

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #4,374 of 22,116
Quote:
Hi guys.

I wanted a SPDIF DAC/Amp to use connected into my soundcard for gaming purposes.

I took a look on the Leckerton UHA-6S MKII and got really interested , but i don't know if it can drive the HE-400's well.

Does anyone here have it? Can it power the HE-400's? Are there other options in the price range?

Thanks.

How portable do you need for it to be?  I'm assuming that since you are using a gaming rig, it might not be too portable.  One could go for the Muse DAC, which is available through Amazon in the US, and I'm sure many other Amazon presences, too.  It's relatively low-cost and has all of the input connectors.  They have many models, so search for the correct one.  It's about $26 in USD$ and then a shipping fee on top of that.  You could then opt for a Schiit Magni, which would give your cans plenty o' juice.  Total cost in USD$ would be about $160 - $170, with the shipping costs.  The Magni would ensure that you have plenty of power to drive the HE-400s.  I also believe the FiiO E9, is a somewhat powerful amp, too, which can put out the juice.  Or, even the FiiO E17, which many here own - and has the connectivity you desire, runs about $140 USD$, shipped.

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #4,375 of 22,116
Quote:
Yes, bass is more neutral than my Denon D5000 was. But if you listen some bass heavy songs then HE-400 will deliver :p I enjoy HE-400 bass a lot more than Denon's. (Maybe im getting old :))

Bass quantity: D2000/D5000 > HE-400
Bass quality: HE-400 >>> D2000/D5000

The he400 does not have the same bass as the old denon line. Most would call it better and impressive for an open ortho. And yes it will really come out on material that has a heavier bass line. 
Quote:
I have a question for guys in possession of Lyr

Can you hear any audible noise / humm / buzzing during the silent passages or when there is no music playing ?? Driving hifiman family of course ... (he500, he4, he5le especially)

I am a bit worried about Lyr's high gain for pretty sensitive he500 or noise floor having mighty 6W per channel ??

Is it dead silent or tube type dependent ?

The lyr is dead silent for me. Hum is almost always due to tubes with the lyr. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #4,376 of 22,116
Quote:

How portable do you need for it to be?  I'm assuming that since you are using a gaming rig, it might not be too portable.  One could go for the Muse DAC, which is available through Amazon in the US, and I'm sure many other Amazon presences, too.  It's relatively low-cost and has all of the input connectors.  They have many models, so search for the correct one.  It's about $26 in USD$ and then a shipping fee on top of that.  You could then opt for a Schiit Magni, which would give your cans plenty o' juice.  Total cost in USD$ would be about $160 - $170, with the shipping costs.  The Magni would ensure that you have plenty of power to drive the HE-400s.  I also believe the FiiO E9, is a somewhat powerful amp, too, which can put out the juice.  Or, even the FiiO E17, which many here own - and has the connectivity you desire, runs about $140 USD$, shipped.

It doesn't need to be portable at all, since i already have an E11 for that purpose.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll take a look on those.

By the way, which one is the wrong and which one is the right?

I found this one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSE-Digital-Optical-Coaxial-to-Analog-RCA-Audio-Converter-DAC-24Bit-192Khz-B-/181040547271?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2a26db85c7

Is this one you're talking about?

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #4,377 of 22,116
Quote:

They are "supposed" to rub off. Once they do, look underneath to see if you've won a prize. 
biggrin.gif
 Seriously, they do come off easily. About the only thing that you could do to prevent it is to put a small piece of tape over the cap when you first get the hp's. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #4,378 of 22,116
Quote:

They are "supposed" to rub off. Once they do, look underneath to see if you've won a prize. 
biggrin.gif
 Seriously, they do come off easily. About the only thing that you could do to prevent it is to put a small piece of tape over the cap when you first get the hp's. 

That would work, unless someday you want to remove the tape in which case it would mean bye bye decals.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #4,380 of 22,116
Headamp edition. :wink:

Put on an option for some nice boutique cables+velours for like $50 more, and you've got a winner! Though with boutique cable prices... lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back