**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 31, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #3,947 of 22,116
Quote:
My pair of HE-400's came in yesterday!  Listened to them all night, and a lot more today.

Very, very impressed.  And I haven't had a chance to burn them in yet.  I'm extremely happy with my decision to purchase them.

Build: 8 / 10

Comfort: 7 / 10

Sound: 9.4 / 10

Value: 9.8 / 10

I think I'm going to give them a listen right now...

congrats.  what amp/dac are you using with them?

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #3,950 of 22,116
wje/Jerg..

Regarding the used sale prices for the he400, I've seen them a bit high IMO. Now, this hp is a great performer and priced below it's performance already. I was able to pick up a used pair, mint, for $300/local pickup. That's the best deal that I've seen for used. Given that moon audio sometimes puts these on sale for $360, there is no way I pay that or even more for used ones. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #3,951 of 22,116
Quote:
That's kind of a weird question on Head-Fi, isn't it? :] 99% of us here want things we don't need.

That being said, I'm likely to sell whichever I don't like. E17 for portable use, and then either the MKIII or the M&M for home use. Not many people replied to me on here about how it performs with the MKIII so I'm not sure if that's a "nice set-up" or not!

It was a silly question indeed.

But I think the HE-400 will sound pretty good with a tube amp. It might help with the peaky highs. 
However the He-400 sounds plenty warm to me on a solid state, so it might lose clarity on the mkIII.

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #3,952 of 22,116
Quote:
My pair of HE-400's came in yesterday!  Listened to them all night, and a lot more today.

Very, very impressed.  And I haven't had a chance to burn them in yet.  I'm extremely happy with my decision to purchase them.

Build: 8 / 10

Comfort: 7 / 10

Sound: 9.4 / 10

Value: 9.8 / 10

I think I'm going to give them a listen right now...

So a 9.4 on sound. How exactly did you get such an interesting number?

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #3,953 of 22,116

My babies sleeping... (400s, 500s, 4s)

Had a 3 hours session with the new HE-4 (on the right) on Friday night + a short shoot-out between the 3 during the weekend.

So far, with the Metrum Quad and the SA-31, my favourite is... the HE-4! Who would have expected that? Not me!

In a technical standpoint, they clearly fall short to the other 2.
- The instrument separation is inferior (they all have the new velours).
- Detail retrieval is hard to tell since the 4s have a treble emphasis (more so than the 400s on this setup) and a much more airy presentation that is hard to compare.
On complex passages, the 4s cannot compete with the 400s and 500s. Yet, they're still very good and much better than any dynamic headphones I owned/heard (which includes the K-701).

What I really (I mean REALLY) like about the 4s is their clean presentation and their V-shaped signature (probably more U-shaped) which makes them extremely fun to listen with fast paced music (e.g. Hard rock and Metal).
The bass emphasis starts below 50hz and stops quickly, hence the "U-shaped" response. By comparison, the 400s have a V-shaped response that emphasis the upper bass / lower mids region too.
As a result, the 4s have tighter bass when compared to the 400s, yet not as prominent (which has a good effect on overall clarity). This plus the treble emphasis make them extremely well suited for drums.

I never enjoyed AC/DC that much with the HE-500 because the mid emphasis is not suited to this particular music (it exhibits all the recording flaws). The 4s on the other hand, are simply excellent. The 400s are definitely closer to the 500s, being fuller sounding than the 4s.

I never expected I would like them more than my favourite of all time (the 500s) but I noticed some strange things that might be a result of my mood of the day or simply my ears not fully opened (I have a cold): the 500s sounded muffled. I always found the treble quantity more than adequate (rather would I say: ideal), on my setup. I don't know if listening to the 4s before the 500s biased my preferences but they clearly lacked treble.

I remember when I last tried my old 4s on the very same setup (difference RCA cables but I'm no cable believer...) I didn't quite like their treble quantity anymore... It seems like my ear changed in the meantime (overnight). 

Anyway, I'm happy with the 4s and if my cold is responsible for that change in treble perception, then I'm glad I have 2 pairs for the next time I have a cold :p

I forgot the bottom line: mix the 4s sound signature with the 400s technicalities and you get the best headphones for Metal / Hard-rock :p (No, I never heard grados, but they never heard orthos, so... :p

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #3,954 of 22,116
Can someone recommend me a good set-up for my HE-400?  My budget is $800 for amp and dac.  Doesn't have to be tubes, but something that really works well with the HE-400s.  I would go on reading through the thread, but jesus it's 264 pages long.  Can anyone please help me out :wink:  I'd really appreciate it.

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #3,955 of 22,116

Had a 3 hours session with the new HE-4 (on the right) on Friday night + a short shoot-out between the 3 during the weekend.

So far, with the Metrum Quad and the SA-31, my favourite is... the HE-4! Who would have expected that? Not me!

- Detail retrieval is hard to tell since the 4s have a treble emphasis (more so than the 400s on this setup) and a much more airy presentation that is hard to compare.
On complex passages, the 4s cannot compete with the 400s and 500s. Yet, they're still very good and much better than any dynamic headphones I owned/heard (which includes the K-701).

What I really (I mean REALLY) like about the 4s is their clean presentation and their V-shaped signature (probably more U-shaped) which makes them extremely fun to listen with fast paced music (e.g. Hard rock and Metal).
The bass emphasis starts below 50hz and stops quickly, hence the "U-shaped" response. By comparison, the 400s have a V-shaped response that emphasis the upper bass / lower mids region too.
As a result, the 4s have tighter bass when compared to the 400s, yet not as prominent (which has a good effect on overall clarity). This plus the treble emphasis make them extremely well suited for drums.

I never enjoyed AC/DC that much with the HE-500 because the mid emphasis is not suited to this particular music (it exhibits all the recording flaws). The 4s on the other hand, are simply excellent. The 400s are definitely closer to the 500s, being fuller sounding than the 4s.

I never expected I would like them more than my favourite of all time (the 500s) but I noticed some strange things that might be a result of my mood of the day or simply my ears not fully opened (I have a cold): the 500s sounded muffled. I always found the treble quantity more than adequate (rather would I say: ideal), on my setup. I don't know if listening to the 4s before the 500s biased my preferences but they clearly lacked treble.

I remember when I last tried my old 4s on the very same setup (difference RCA cables but I'm no cable believer...) I didn't quite like their treble quantity anymore... It seems like my ear changed in the meantime (overnight). 

Anyway, I'm happy with the 4s and if my cold is responsible for that change in treble perception, then I'm glad I have 2 pairs for the next time I have a cold :p

I forgot the bottom line: mix the 4s sound signature with the 400s technicalities and you get the best headphones for Metal / Hard-rock :p (No, I never heard grados, but they never heard orthos, so... :p

Nice. Also, people need to realize that even though the treble is more prominent in the mix compared to the HE-400, it is LESS harsh/jarring due to the overall brighter sound, and airier presentation. The HE-400's darkness makes the treble more 'unbearable' in direct comparison, since it's bright treble more out of place than on the brighter HE-4. Your ears are adjusted to the brighter presentatioon on the HE-4, so the treble doesn't shock your ears.

Very surprising outcome.

You might be a candidate for the HE5-LE, since I hear the HE-4 is modeled after that one's sound signature.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #3,957 of 22,116
Lol, I still have mine...

One of them clearly shows that it shouldn't be thrown in the garbage!

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #3,958 of 22,116
I have a big hifiman delivery today...and it happens to include a couple HE-4s i ordered on the chance these will be making a comeback 
blink.gif

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #3,960 of 22,116
Quote:

While I agree with most of your impressions and I do understand this is your opinion.  I guess I just have a sort of different one.  So to speak. 

"In a technical standpoint, they clearly fall short to the other 2."
I would say this is the total opposite.  IMO The 4s are a more technical better headphone then the 400s and (500s ??)

Yes the 400s and 50ss are a fuller sounding headphone and yes the 4s has more air.  But the 4's does not not have the treble spikes the 400s has but has more of a treble energy.  Because of the bright airy sound.

The 500s don't lack treble.  It's just compared to the 4s as you said they don't have the same treble energy.  This is a result of the 4s being airy and the 500s being on the warm side.  IMO

"On complex passages, the 4s cannot compete with the 400s and 500s."
uumm.  I find the 4s one of the fastest headphones out and can keep up with just about any genre.  They just eat complex passages alive.  IMO..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back