**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #3,887 of 22,116
Quote:
I'd say it's more intimate alone by the fact that the DT990 sounds like cold plastic in comparison to the HE-400.

To make things more simple, I think the sound of either one is spacious enough to be happy with.  They both sound open, and they both have some layering at play with their sound.  I'm not too big of a soundstage guy.  For instance, people say the AD700's best selling point is the large soundstage it has-- I have to disagree with that.

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm not a soundstage guy either. It doesn't need to be like K701, just enough open and spacious.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #3,888 of 22,116
As a person using itunes (meh, i prefer to foobar simply for ease of use), i find putting the EQ on dance pretty much improves all songs, interestingly enough

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #3,890 of 22,116
Quote:
A little smaller than DT990 premium-- about HD650 size.  Most of the apparent 'size' of the DT990's soundstage is psychoacoustics, coming from its sound signature of elevated highs and recessed mids.  

I agree with this, I think it's the sparkly treble of the DT990 that makes them sound even more open than they are.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #3,891 of 22,116
Quote:

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm not a soundstage guy either. It doesn't need to be like K701, just enough open and spacious.

It's very open and spacious and realistic and an 'out of the head experience'. But the soundstage isn't the thing that stands out the most. Seperation, clarity and the tangibility of the sound is where I would put its wow factors.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #3,892 of 22,116
Getting ready to join the HE-400 club.  It'll be my first open headphone, and based on everything I've read I think these will be best for my preferred sound signature.   I had some others on my wishlist, but I think the extra $$ for these will be worth it.  Can't wait!  Since these will be primarily used at my desk, I was considering getting an amp to pair with these, and I was looking between the O2 or the Schiit Magni (something small and simple, but powerful and neutral) to use between my Titanium HD sound card and the headphones - good pairing?

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #3,893 of 22,116
Quote:
Getting ready to join the HE-400 club.  It'll be my first open headphone, and based on everything I've read I think these will be best for my preferred sound signature.   I had some others on my wishlist, but I think the extra $$ for these will be worth it.  Can't wait!  Since these will be primarily used at my desk, I was considering getting an amp to pair with these, and I was looking between the O2 or the Schiit Magni (something small and simple, but powerful and neutral) to use between my Titanium HD sound card and the headphones - good pairing?

Small, neutral, simple? O2 may be perfect for you. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #3,894 of 22,116
Yeah even if you don't like O2 "neutrality/organic-ness" and prefer tube roll off, you can be sure O2 has enough juice for the HE-400 to shine.

The Schiit might be able to compete (haven't heard it, aesthetically looks nice and price seems like a strength) but O2 is the 'tried and true.'

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #3,895 of 22,116

I just joined the HE-400 club, and they're great. You will definitely want an amp though. They can get decent volume from un-amped sources like an iPod, but they lose detail. I'm using the Xonar Essence STX and they could still use a little more juice to reach their full potential.

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #3,896 of 22,116
Quote:
Looks thick and pillowy. Does it feel as soft as it looks?

Yes, it really is as soft and comfortable as it looks in the picture.  I've been wanting to do this project for a long time.  Really, a long time, but just had some free time to perform the modification.
Quote:
Then send us your address so we can mail our hp's to you to be outfitted with the new comfort band. 
biggrin.gif

You already know my address.  
wink.gif
  Stalker!  
eek.gif

biggrin.gif
  Actually, see my response to Darryl below.  
Quote:
Good looking comfy pad Wayne..  How much do you charge to do it?
biggrin.gif

This is my hobby.  I don't ever want to make money off of headphones.  If it do, I would be saddened as I'd have a business and not a hobby.  
wink.gif
  I'm never opposed to doing a few of these jobs for a few of the buds.  The only issue, though, is that the headphones have to be sent to me.  I don't mean that is a selfish way, either.  The project requires the current head-band and the HifiMAN bands from the factory are placed in such a way that the band can't be removed without some harm being done.  Plus, when I install it over the existing band, it is a simple reversible mod, if one doesn't like it.  The only cost is for two shipping trips for the headphones.  I just would not want to over-commit and under=deliver as I could see that happening.  So, if I were to do two pair, I'd make two people happy and I'd be happy for doing it.

The original problem that I faced with the factory HifiMAN band, is that the headphones sat too low on my ears.  This meant about a 1/8th to 1/4" air gap at the bottom of the cups.  Adding the padding didn't just make the portion that rests on the head much more comfortable, but it made the pads fit 100% better in my situation.

A few more daylight pictures, that have a bit better focus.

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #3,899 of 22,116
Quote:
Guys, this is my second day with the HE-400 and I notice something. If I move the earcups away from my head in a way that the earpads just touch my head, the bass impact increases a lot. I don't know if my earpads are too thin, the clamp force too high or my head is way bigger than average, making the distance between my ears and the drivers shorter, decreasing bass impact. Do any of you notice that?

Also, I'd like to thank you for the recommendation. Alice in Chains sounds awesome with this headphone.

I commented on this before. Its funny that other people play around like I do.

I do not think this is a "problem", or a clear sign that improvements could be made further.

The same phenomenon occurs in Car Audio. Sometimes, the bass sounds a lot better with windows or doors open vs. keeping them closed. Certainly it can improve by dropping the seat backs down. At SPL competitions, I have seen people measure better with the door open vs. closed. I don't really get it. But since sound travels in waves, picture filling your car with water, and then splashing it as hard as you can. The waves flow out, but at some point, bounce off car surfaces and are either absorbed or reflected. I am sure it looks really chaotic. You open the door however, and all the water now has a path to flow out of the car.

For the HE-400 I can think of only 2 things. First, someone should sacrifice some pads. Just cut a small chunk of the pad out, and leave the rest on. Deliberately break the "seal" in other words, and see what happens. The second thing is possibly the change introduced by angling the pads more naturally with the curve of your ear. My older Sennhesisers do this, and I assume it is a better way of designing ear phones.

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #3,900 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah even if you don't like O2 "neutrality/organic-ness" and prefer tube roll off, you can be sure O2 has enough juice for the HE-400 to shine.

The Schiit might be able to compete (haven't heard it, aesthetically looks nice and price seems like a strength) but O2 is the 'tried and true.'

Agreed -

And don't forget, it is useful to have some gain switching. The Schiit seems to be a good product, but until I see some measured specs I might shy away from it. The O2 is pretty feature-minimal, but I reckon it is easier to match to different sources / High Dynamic Range recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back