**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 28, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #3,736 of 22,116
Quote:
^^ Funny thing...I've been holding my breath for about 6 months for an he700. 
redface.gif

I think they're working on a "Jade 2".  I hope to see some sort of electrostat again from HiFiMan, Stax needs some competition!

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #3,737 of 22,116
The new HE400 sounds exactly as I remember of the Rev. 2. No worries.

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #3,740 of 22,116
The only thing I will trade it for is a K702 Anniversary, or Philips Fidelio X1. Even then, I'd probably still come back to the HE400.

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #3,741 of 22,116
Awaiting my pair of HE-400's. Ordered them from Justin at HeadAmp who shipped them extremely quickly, ran out of the velours included with the 400's he sells but he said he'll ship them later. I live in Canada and USPS has the worst updates. 1 day without an update, hopefully that changes tomorrow. Man am I stoked though. Looking to get the Modi and Magni in a couple weeks to get the most out of them until I can afford the Lyr which I'll use to power bigger boys down the road. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #3,743 of 22,116
Quote:
The new HE400 sounds exactly as I remember of the Rev. 2. No worries.

Quote:
He's asking for differences between rev.2 and the fixed revs after rev.3 

From my understanding, they should be identical.

Thanks for all the answers.

One more thing, just to make sure i'm getting the right one.

These are the latest revision, right?

Thanks

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #3,744 of 22,116
The lighting is bad in that image. Rev. 3 is sandy yellow, the fixed ones are more clear. Looks like yours are clear, but the lighting makes it look a little yellow.

The sandy yellow would be obvious. You're fine.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #3,745 of 22,116
The HE-400s have basically made me give up on expensive IEMs. Sold my Triple.Fi 10 to buy the Westone 4R not two weeks ago, and I'm already selling them. For having a higher MSRP than the HE-400, they're a notable step down to me. Every time I listen to them, I wish I was listening to the HE-400 instead. For serious listening at home, I will use the HE-400. I only really need an IEM for when I'm out and about, jogging, etc. Those situations aren't really suitable for serious listening so a cheaper IEM suits me just fine. However, if I could get something like the much praised FitEar ToGo 334 for ~$400....

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #3,746 of 22,116
Okay first of all I only read the first maybe 50 pages of this thread or so.

The only headphones I own are HD280's, DT770/80's and DT880/250's, and a pair of R1 IEM's.

My favorite of those is probably the DT770's to me they are a fun headphone, maybe a little on the bass heavy side but I enjoy it. DT880's are more comfy though. 

So, how do these compare to any of those, worth the upgrade? Specifically to the 770's, how is the bass on these? I don't need as much bass but I would like more than the 880's have. I already assume the mids/highs/soundstage will all probably be better on these than the 770's.

Also the only amp/dac I have is an audioengine D1, anyone tested these on that yet?

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #3,747 of 22,116
Awaiting my pair of HE-400's. Ordered them from Justin at HeadAmp who shipped them extremely quickly, ran out of the velours included with the 400's he sells but he said he'll ship them later. I live in Canada and USPS has the worst updates. 1 day without an update, hopefully that changes tomorrow. Man am I stoked though. Looking to get the Modi and Magni in a couple weeks to get the most out of them until I can afford the Lyr which I'll use to power bigger boys down the road. 

Thats all? My order hasnt been updated for 11 DAYS!!! USPS never ever again...

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #3,748 of 22,116
Quote:
The pleathers make the HE400 sound muffled and aggravating in the treble range at the same time. Irony.

Which just shows how we perceive things differently: I think the velours have a damping effect on the high frequencies, leading to a general lack of airiness to the sound; some may prefer this as the sound becomes more processed and “headphony”.

I have a Zoom h4n and recorded material at 24/96 sounds incredibly realistic through the HE-400s with the pleathers; with the velours the sound becomes dryer and to my ears not as accurate.

If you have an aggravated treble, you might want to look at your source – it could be that the velours are making the headphones more forgiving.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #3,749 of 22,116
Lol, no. My sources are fine. The general consensus is that the pleathers make the sound more dark and stuffy, mids more recessed (purrin's graphs proved this), and the treble more peaky. I didnt even see the graph until I had already confirmed it to be true.

Don't know what magical pleathers you got...

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #3,750 of 22,116
Quote:
Okay first of all I only read the first maybe 50 pages of this thread or so.

The only headphones I own are HD280's, DT770/80's and DT880/250's, and a pair of R1 IEM's.

My favorite of those is probably the DT770's to me they are a fun headphone, maybe a little on the bass heavy side but I enjoy it. DT880's are more comfy though. 

So, how do these compare to any of those, worth the upgrade? Specifically to the 770's, how is the bass on these? I don't need as much bass but I would like more than the 880's have. I already assume the mids/highs/soundstage will all probably be better on these than the 770's.

Also the only amp/dac I have is an audioengine D1, anyone tested these on that yet?

Well since you did not mention the extreme sibilance on the dt770s you're going to love the he-400. They have a slight peak in the upper treble, which sometimes shows the sibilance in a recording a bit. But it's not even that much of a problem, and very equalizable.

Also bass is about 5000 leagues above that of a dt770, same for the mids and treble. Soundstage however isn't as big as the dt770 pro, but it is much more realistic.

The HE-400 are a lot of fun with some insane technicalities for the price(imo), you'll love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back