**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #3,706 of 22,116
Quote:
Finally got my hands on the HE-400. I must say I'm in love with it! Worth every penny. I'll come back with my first impressions of it.

Forgot to ask you guys something: any album recommendation to fully enjoy this headphone? 
smily_headphones1.gif

As a gamer, I'm really digging the album here, http://www.terriblefate.com/
Free FLAC download.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #3,710 of 22,116
Quote:
I've been thinking of a mod very similar to the "comfort strap" on the MD's. That hp is very close in weight to the he400, yet with the comfort strap just "floats" on your head and is impressive with it's comfort. 

This sounds like a wje mod to me. 
wink.gif

No comfort issues here :) Compared to my Pro 900, the HE-6 comfort is leaps ahead. They dont even feel all that much heavier :) Sure they are heavier but my head seems to handle that without problems. Other than that they may put excessive pressure o your jaw, but it only takes a little adjusting to lessen it. The velour earpads are comfortable enough and certainly not as itchy/uncomfortable as the Ultrasone ones, which are softer but I suspect it has also to do with less breathing room for my ears.
Also, I have relatively big ears and the bigger earcups of the Hifiman  do not cause any contact with my ears, working as two pillows for my ears, compared with the Ultrasone, which is still big but apparently not enough for my ears.
Lastly,the headband padding is fine enough and apparently they fit perfectly on my head and makes proper contact with the whole head :D

I guess I am one of the few who finds the stock combo good/comfortable enough :D

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #3,711 of 22,116
Well this really blows. I spoke to HiFiMan customer service and I would have to send the headphones to China for my scratched grill replacement. I don't think that's worth it or good customer service. They won't just send me one new grill. Going to see what HeadRoom can do...

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #3,712 of 22,116
Quote:

No comfort issues here :) Compared to my Pro 900, the HE-6 comfort is leaps ahead. They dont even feel all that much heavier :) Sure they are heavier but my head seems to handle that without problems. Other than that they may put excessive pressure o your jaw, but it only takes a little adjusting to lessen it. The velour earpads are comfortable enough and certainly not as itchy/uncomfortable as the Ultrasone ones, which are softer but I suspect it has also to do with less breathing room for my ears.
Also, I have relatively big ears and the bigger earcups of the Hifiman  do not cause any contact with my ears, working as two pillows for my ears, compared with the Ultrasone, which is still big but apparently not enough for my ears.
Lastly,the headband padding is fine enough and apparently they fit perfectly on my head and makes proper contact with the whole head :D

I guess I am one of the few who finds the stock combo good/comfortable enough :D

Im with you there, the headphone fit me like a glove, really comfortable. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #3,713 of 22,116
Quote:
Well this really blows. I spoke to HiFiMan customer service and I would have to send the headphones to China for my scratched grill replacement. I don't think that's worth it or good customer service. They won't just send me one new grill. Going to see what HeadRoom can do...

Or for a couple bucks, you could make a new pair of grills that look better and sound better. 
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #3,714 of 22,116
Quote:
The key is to actually increase the padding on the two wings of the headband, so that it has a more abrupt cushion curvature. The stock headband exerts all the downward pressure to the center 1/3 length of the headband, while the two 1/3 portions on the sides don't even make any contact with the head. That's why the generic beyer/hifiman/grado/senn headband wrap cushion that a lot of people got worked really well since it had enough "give" to mold to the curvature of the head.

Optimally you don't want any molding though, and instead the padding should be shaped for the head even before any use.

Quote:

Quote:
Im with you there, the headphone fit me like a glove, really comfortable.

Actually, my real complaint isn't a complaint at all.  Nor, is it a comfort issue with the headphone itself.  The problem is that I suffer from an issue due to small brain mass.  This issue has resulted in me having a smaller head.  Due to this issue, when I have the HifiMAN headphones on my head with the sides pushed all the way up, the ear pad still rests on the top of my ear.  I need to add about 1/2" of padding to the band itself, so the ear cup placement will be accurate for my ability to hear and enjoy the headphones properly.

While I do suffer from a smaller brain mass, the issue from the HifiMAN headphone fit is one issue.  I also can't walk and chew gum at the same time.  That is another big limitation.  However, each morning, I am very fortunate that I can tie my own shoe laces so I don't trip on them when I walk. 
tongue.gif

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #3,715 of 22,116
While I do suffer from a smaller brain mass, the issue from the HifiMAN headphone fit is one issue.  I also can't walk and chew gum at the same time.  That is another big limitation.  However, each morning, I am very fortunate that I can tie my own shoe laces so I don't trip on them when I walk.  :p
[/quote]

Woah man that sounds pretty serious. You don't seem to have any intellectual problems though :) I hope the mod works out!

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #3,718 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey guys, what are the differences between rev. 2 and rev. 3?

How do i identify each version?

And is there any rev. besides rev. 3?

There was a sonic issue with the rev. 3 HE-400's so they were all recalled and now they are back to rev 2. The drivers look clear now, in rev. 3 they looked yellowish, bone-colored. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #3,719 of 22,116
Quote:
Finally got my hands on the HE-400. I must say I'm in love with it! Worth every penny. I'll come back with my first impressions of it.

Forgot to ask you guys something: any album recommendation to fully enjoy this headphone? 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not sure if Fever Ray's self titled album, Fever Ray, is your cup of tea but it sounds absolutely amazing on the he-400. I Highly recommend it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back