**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #3,691 of 22,116
Sold my HE-400s, I simply enjoyed my DT990s more. May have to purchase those again some time.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #3,693 of 22,116
Lol, considering I did the same thing...though I eventually missed the HE400 and got rid of the 990....again.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #3,694 of 22,116
Finally got my hands on the HE-400. I must say I'm in love with it! Worth every penny. I'll come back with my first impressions of it.

Forgot to ask you guys something: any album recommendation to fully enjoy this headphone? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #3,695 of 22,116
Quote:
Finally got my hands on the HE-400. I must say I'm in love with it! Worth every penny. I'll come back with my first impressions of it.

Forgot to ask you guys something: any album recommendation to fully enjoy this headphone? 
smily_headphones1.gif

This one gets mentioned a lot around here, but the MTV unplugged Alice in Chains album sounds phenomenal with these cans. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #3,696 of 22,116
Quote:
Sold my HE-400s, I simply enjoyed my DT990s more. May have to purchase those again some time.

Interesting, I compared the two (DT 990 Premium 250 ohm) quite thoroughly and thought the HE-400 did better in 9.5/10 cases.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #3,697 of 22,116
The HE-400 is better in most cases, but the DT990 has a certain fun factor that it has over the HE-400, as well as a more open and spacious soundstage.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #3,698 of 22,116
Quote:
The HE-400 is better in most cases, but the DT990 has a certain fun factor that it has over the HE-400, as well as a more open and spacious soundstage.

For me, I'll live with a slightly smaller sound stage in the HE-400s.  While it might be minimized compared to other cans such as the DT-990s, I still think it is far above what some of the other offerings I've experienced in the past.  I could spend $200+ to opt for another headphone solution to use with the HE-400.  But, to me, my bigger priority at the moment is getting a better head band cushion built for mine.  I do know that members have posted various methods of improvements for theirs with the Sennheiser pads, etc. on the head band.  However, I'm a kind of guy that likes my headphones to look stock, or as the manufacturer would have intended.  So, my work will focus on using the same materials for a better head band.  I have all the supplies and materials, which will allow me to proceed with the task during this upcoming extended weekend.  I'll get some pictures posted of the completed work.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #3,699 of 22,116
I also have a Senn HD600 with me right now and although it's a night and day difference regarding comfort levels, I found the HE-400 pretty good. Yes, it's heavy, the clamp force is above the average, but overall it's a comfortable headphone.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #3,702 of 22,116
Good morning to everyone,

I'd like to buy a headphone for movies (I usually watch blu-ray and/or mkv with Powerdvd or MPC-HC).

Budget is not a problem, but I'd like to buy a very high quality headphone. I read many reviews and I think that HE-400 could be a great choice for this, and I'd like to have some opinions. I watch everything by PC so I will buy a Soundblaster Zxr when it arrives and I think it's good for the HE-400, right?

Is it a good choice for me?

Thank you very much

Francesco

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #3,703 of 22,116
Quote:

For me, I'll live with a slightly smaller sound stage in the HE-400s.  While it might be minimized compared to other cans such as the DT-990s, I still think it is far above what some of the other offerings I've experienced in the past.  I could spend $200+ to opt for another headphone solution to use with the HE-400.  But, to me, my bigger priority at the moment is getting a better head band cushion built for mine.  I do know that members have posted various methods of improvements for theirs with the Sennheiser pads, etc. on the head band.  However, I'm a kind of guy that likes my headphones to look stock, or as the manufacturer would have intended.  So, my work will focus on using the same materials for a better head band.  I have all the supplies and materials, which will allow me to proceed with the task during this upcoming extended weekend.  I'll get some pictures posted of the completed work.

Anxious to see how it turns out Wayne. Please post when you've got it completed. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #3,704 of 22,116
Quote:

The key is to actually increase the padding on the two wings of the headband, so that it has a more abrupt cushion curvature. The stock headband exerts all the downward pressure to the center 1/3 length of the headband, while the two 1/3 portions on the sides don't even make any contact with the head. That's why the generic beyer/hifiman/grado/senn headband wrap cushion that a lot of people got worked really well since it had enough "give" to mold to the curvature of the head.

Optimally you don't want any molding though, and instead the padding should be shaped for the head even before any use.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #3,705 of 22,116
I've been thinking of a mod very similar to the "comfort strap" on the MD's. That hp is very close in weight to the he400, yet with the comfort strap just "floats" on your head and is impressive with it's comfort. 

This sounds like a wje mod to me. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back