**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 21, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #3,541 of 22,116
What are some of your guys' favorite tracks to play on these?

Electronic is blowing my mind so much with instrument isolation and energy. There is a bit of sibilance on poorly recorded female vocals but it's really not that harsh like I was expecting, but if it's recorded well, even the highest vocals SHINE on my set.

And most if not all male vocals are greeeat.

They are very revealing too! I keep thinking one side is slightly louder than the other, but I flip them and change channels, and I don't hear it. Then I read threads of people thinking the same thing (except not with HE-400s, HD650's ironically enough), and then I thought left side had slight rattle but it's just artifacts in the mastering or recording that I can pick up since they get isolated well too. Confirmed the same distortion with my Sennheiser PX90 and PX100's.

And easily driven! My iPhone 5 can play them at ample volume, except detail and clarity kicks back a notch of course relative to O2+ODAC.

My OCD needs to end! I've read too much on here about QC issues, and I gotta stop trying to look for issues. Because as far as I can tell, this set is great. It's also either r2 or 3.5 or whatever you want to call it. Not first and not the sandy yellow third :)

Just got a refund on my HD650's too from Amazon. Glad they didn't charge restocking (as I expected them to not).

I think they are more comfortable as well, despite my initial worries.

Anything by AIR is awesome, but I like Cherry Blossom Girl. Planar is much quicker than dynamic.

I need to keep my eye on the volume knob. 12 oclock is more than loud enough for most things. I've gone to 2-3 oclock, but over time that's just gonna murder my already probably slightly deteriorated hearing from shows when I was younger

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #3,542 of 22,116
Quote:
If you are being facetious, then you are mocking the idea that burn-in is imaginary ?

The point here is that there is an emotional fad lately that says - subconsciously, not consciously:

It's interesting that this fad coincides with a new generation who have grown up listening to worse and worse sound quality in the form of MP3s on iPods and ear buds, and who have become entirely disconnected from any reference point of sound quality in the form of live acoustic music.   At the same time, media like CNN and the New York Times have strongly encouraged people in general to express opinions on anything and everything, rather than the previous standard of only commenting on something within one's expertise.

The result is that threads like these are increasingly cluttered by people expressing opinions on things that they know absolutely nothing about, and doubling down by trying to support opinions when they are wrong.

Interestingly, I agree with you on the fact that people are more open to expressing opinions that they're really not qualified to be voicing and the fact that many people my age don't understand what good audio is. 

However, it seems like you disagree with the whole "objective" thing. I do agree with objectiveness and double blind testing and such myself (What can I say? I'm studying electrical engineering and physics, it happens). 

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #3,543 of 22,116
update on a previous firstimpression on the he-400.

I have these for about 2 weeks now. The burn in is already obvious. The treble is not that fatiguating as before. I have been listening to about 3 hours of songs from "the cramberries" and apart from old memoeries, i "felt" the music. Also i have been using these outdoors for travel, and even if they look like you are an ET and they leak quite a lot, i simply cant go back to my senns HD 380 Pro.

Now i only need a shorter cable, but will wait for full burn in before i get it.

The weight is still a bit fatiguating, but id say i got used to it.

Next step in my opinion is to test them for someone who has not used good headphones before to see if they realize the improvement so dramaticly or if its a matter of "ear" practice.

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #3,545 of 22,116
Quote:
^Getting used to the HE400 sound ftw.

That's why we have the ability to use a bit of EQ, and ....

Yes.  My J$ Denon leather pads arrived in the mail yesterday.  Simply amazing.  I didn't intend for them to be used with my HE-400s, but they somehow made it onto the rings of the HE-400s and were a perfect fit.  The taper from back to front, makes the headphones much more comfortable and does a much better job for sealing the pads around your ears.  Next, I'd love a pair of "wedge" ear pads, but in velour to try with the HE-400s.  

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #3,546 of 22,116
So there is a bit of burn in then?

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #3,547 of 22,116
Quote:
So there is a bit of burn in then?

I don't think so for these. They really haven't changed much for me since I got em.

My Ultrasone Pro 550's did but not these.

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #3,548 of 22,116
Quote:

That's why we have the ability to use a bit of EQ, and ....

Yes.  My J$ Denon leather pads arrived in the mail yesterday.  Simply amazing.  I didn't intend for them to be used with my HE-400s, but they somehow made it onto the rings of the HE-400s and were a perfect fit.  The taper from back to front, makes the headphones much more comfortable and does a much better job for sealing the pads around your ears.  Next, I'd love a pair of "wedge" ear pads, but in velour to try with the HE-400s.  

Hey Wayne,

Do you know if there's a difference between the J$ denon pads and the MarkL angled pads?

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #3,550 of 22,116
Quote:

Hey Wayne,

Do you know if there's a difference between the J$ denon pads and the MarkL angled pads?

From what I've seen, and read, I think they are awfully close.  The Lawton pads might have a slight advantage on the thickness - but, I only suspect that to be the case.  The J$ are $75.00 a pair and the Lawton pads are $99.00.  The prices don't include shipping.

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #3,553 of 22,116
Quote:
My much anticipated and very in-depth review of the objective combo vs entry level schiit combo is now up:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642401/comparison-and-review-o2-odac-vs-magni-modi

Enjoy.

That had to be the most in-depth review I have ever read.
By far.

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #3,555 of 22,116
I have to stop reading this thread and the other HE-400 leisurely.

I'm getting SO ocd its almost preventing me from enjoying my purchase.

I didn't have this much stress with HD-650 reading on headfi in terms of individual issues, but I felt I was playing it absurdly loud to hear all the details. On HE-400, it's more fun and I can hear it better and its isolated instruments rock.

One side being louder than the other, turned out to not necessarily be verifiable in a blind test and switching sides with earphones, haha.

Then the crackle thing, of which it's just mastering/recording flaws that HE-400 is very perceptive to, that I confirm in later pairs (but isn't as drawn out, because HE-400 isolates it like its an individual sample or instrument haha).

Then maybe one channel will go out? I really hope not, knock on wood. haha. 1-year warranty too since I bought through a local authorized reseller on Hifiman's reseller list.

Then the multiple revisions, of which from looking at the ear side, it's clear so either latest or version2 but given that the reseller said he's a new hifiman dealer, I'd assume it's revision 4 (or 3.5, or 2 being brought back out).

These cans sound fantastic. They won me over in an a/b for 2 hours between these and the HD-650 I already had and got a great deal on but ended up returning.

I need to chill and enjoy these suckers :D

Plantar is definitely another animal.

Coming from HD595 and UDAC2 to H650 through udac2 til O2+ODAC came to a/bing those with HE-400, getting He-400.

And I definitely have velour pads. I am a velour diehard.

And whoever recommended listening to The Postal Service album on these, Give Up, kudos!

Even with its warm, vinyl-y mastering it sounds sooooo good.

ONE LAST OCD question, and I don't think it's just the left side (though I think I have heard it more) when I was trying to hear if one side was louder than the other, occasionnally between shifting sides (left to right or vice versa) I'd hear like a quick static or distortion sometimes between going back and forth, same thing when I pause music I hear it. But i'm sure I've heard it even with phone in another room, so maybe not.

is this inherent to planar/he-400?

maybe some weird noise being given off by my o2 amp hooked up directly to the wall? maybe my phone being near my o2? I've definitely heard interference before if my iPhone is too close, like a pop noise that's continuous.

I didn't notice this with HD-650, but I wasn't obsessively checking for flaws like I've read about on this thread. Like listening to headphones and if they make any noise immediately after I pause.

is this something to be worried about? :frowning2: i really really really hope not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back