**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #3,406 of 22,116
Hello, I'm thinking about picking these up. However, I'm hesitant because I'm worried it
won't be able to be driven from my iPhone 4 and a fiio e11. Can anyone tell me how it will sound out of the two mentioned sources?

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #3,407 of 22,116
Just because two independent experiences show that it might not be brain burn-in or expectation bias doesn't mean that it isn't in almost every other case. And I still believe it's more than likely a psychological thing in those two cases. You didn't want to experience it but your brain felt like being a dick and making you experience it anyways. Kinda like when someonte tells you not to think about a pink elephant.

Seriously. The brain is capable of so much. Infinitely more than some perceived notion that some time using an electronic device will automatically improve what you personally think is a deficiency.

You believe something is happening, so much that the brain will alter your perception of reality enough to convince yourself that it's true.

Again, I call bullsh*t on burn in because, well, I believe in the brain and your personal hopes of something being true making it true.

I've owned enough headphones with an unbiased opinion of burn in and noticed no change in sound (I burned in about half the headphones I owned). That is why I then became so anti-burn in. It's a joke that got so out of hand that those easily coerced by what's said on the interent have basically turned into a sort of audio related religious belief. I'm a skeptic and look for proof of everything I'm told, especially when it doesn't make sense. I don't automatically just assume it's true and expect it to be so.

I laugh when I see some people here bought a new headphone here, burn them in for like a day and say the bass got so much tighter and refined, etc. It's like LOLWHUT? I can't believe the nonsense here. AT ALL.

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #3,408 of 22,116
All I know is.   As soon as I get a new pair of headphones I put them on and my opinions on that headphone start right away.  

I let the chips fall as they may.  Not one headphone I've had sound any different than the first time I put them on.  I'm just saying..
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #3,409 of 22,116
The only change I ever noticed off the HE-400 was when I swapped the pads. They were as amazing the first hour as the last one.

Then there are those times when a headphone sounds better or worse depending on how tired you are, your mood, if you swapped from one headphone to another, etc. So many factors that affect sound, any which could be the very difference others perceive in their 'burn in'.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #3,411 of 22,116
Quote:
All I know is.   As soon as I get a new pair of headphones I put them on and my opinions on that headphone start right away.  

I let the chips fall as they may.  Not one headphone I've had sound any different than the first time I put them on.  I'm just saying..
biggrin.gif

Well, if you'd periodically clean the wax from your ears, you might also realize that your headphones sound even better.

Just saying ...
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #3,414 of 22,116
HI all, I have been looking/researching for a pair of open hp for a while, and staring to get dizzy with all the different reviews and suggestions.I do believe I have finally found a pair, the he-400.
My question is do I need an amp with these? I will be gaming and listening to mostly rock about 50/50,my gaming rig has an Asus Xonar d2/pm http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_D2PM/#specifications and my home stereo is a pioneer vsx-9040 txh Specifications http://www.manualslib.com/manual/414322/Pioneer-Vsx-9040txh-110-Watt-X-7-Direct-Energy-Amplification-Receiver.html?page=119#manual Thanks.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #3,415 of 22,116
Quote:
The only change I ever noticed off the HE-400 was when I swapped the pads. They were as amazing the first hour as the last one.
Then there are those times when a headphone sounds better or worse depending on how tired you are, your mood, if you swapped from one headphone to another, etc. So many factors that affect sound, any which could be the very difference others perceive in their 'burn in'.

Arrrrrrrrrgh. Little Johnny can't help himself--he must respond. I agree with your every word, MLE. I just want folks to realize that "brain burn-in" is as much a theory as "driver burn-in." And though you have the winds of some sound ideas behind your sails, what sticks in my craw is the way many anti-burn-in folks so brutally assert their own counter-theories as fact. It's no good to pound a true believer's skull into the pavement, over and over again, while asserting your own admittedly more logical position, which, despite its logic, has no scientific backing, at the moment at least.

Your a skeptic, right? So am I. I'm with you all the way, buddy, but I'm not a skeptic for the sake of skepticism (I'm sure you're not either). And let's face it:  it's so easy to be skeptical of other peoples ideas (they are so clearly wrong after all), but it's so hard--hard as nails, I say--to turn that skepticism inward, toward your own ideas and beliefs. This is something I try to do: call it a philosophy. I scorch my own ideas regularly. I demand proof, especially of myself, and then after some serious introspection, and only then, will I go after other folks and their hair-brained beliefs. It's just the way I am, I suppose.

Again, though I agree with your every word, I have learned to look for evidence to buffer my counter-claims. But the evidence concerning this issue isn't out there at the moment (not that I've seen at least), which means we have no way to genuinely refute or falsify the burn-in claim. All this considered: Is it wrong of me to now ask, "Let's wait for the evidence before committing ourselves to a final verdict?" Apologies for dragging this out further. And nothing I've said here is said out of anger or hostility, but tone is sooo tricky in writing. 
Oh, here's one more crazy claim: The devil made me write this.
evil_smiley.gif

eek.gif

wink_face.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #3,417 of 22,116
Quote:
Arrrrrrrrrgh. Little Johnny can't help himself--he must respond. I agree with your every word, MLE. I just want folks to realize that "brain burn-in" is as much a theory as "driver burn-in." And though you have the winds of some sound ideas behind your sails, what sticks in my craw is the way many anti-burn-in folks so brutally assert their own counter-theories as fact. It's no good to pound a true believer's skull into the pavement, over and over again, while asserting your own admittedly more logical position, which, despite its logic, has no scientific backing, at the moment at least.

Your a skeptic, right? So am I. I'm with you all the way, buddy, but I'm not a skeptic for the sake of skepticism (I'm sure you're not either). And let's face it:  it's so easy to be skeptical of other peoples ideas (they are so clearly wrong after all), but it's so hard--hard as nails, I say--to turn that skepticism inward, toward your own ideas and beliefs. This is something I try to do: call it a philosophy. I scorch my own ideas regularly. I demand proof, especially of myself, and then after some serious introspection, and only then, will I go after other folks and their hair-brained beliefs. It's just the way I am, I suppose.

Again, though I agree with your every word, I have learned to look for evidence to buffer my counter-claims. But the evidence concerning this issue isn't out there at the moment (not that I've seen at least), which means we have no way to genuinely refute or falsify the burn-in claim. All this considered: Is it wrong of me to now ask, "Let's wait for the evidence before committing ourselves to a final verdict?" Apologies for dragging this out further. And nothing I've said here is said out of anger or hostility, but tone is sooo tricky in writing. 
Oh, here's one more crazy claim: The devil made me write this.
evil_smiley.gif

eek.gif

wink_face.gif

I don't think it's currently possible to actually prove brain burn-in with empirical evidence; it's something we experience within our own minds. You can prove it exists to yourself if you make the effort but this won't prove anything to anyone else. So it's best we put the burden on the preachers of driver burn-in to show their proof, and nothing significant has been given despite the popularity of the theory.

The mind changing the perception of sound has been proven with fake blind tests and such, but I guess this is slightly different than adjusting to a sound and turning it into your norm.

Quote:
So I've tried reading through the thread...what changed between all 4 revisions?

The housing around the drivers... QC issues with 1st version, sound issues with 3rd, and 2nd and 4th are said to have the same sound(the housing is a little different however).

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #3,418 of 22,116
Going to audition some HE-400's today !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back