**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #2,881 of 22,116
I've modded other forums before.  I'm not sure if there's another way, but usually when you merge threads, all replies are sorted by date posted, in which case it'll be a huge mess to read if someone's trying to.  The best option would be to close one if you were wanting to just have one thread.  Otherwise I don't really have any problems having two.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #2,882 of 22,116
Quote:
The vocalist on that track is weak in the mix no matter how you slice it.  I havn't ever found the HE-400 to be weird on vocals, especially not male vocals.  It has VERY strong lower and mid..mids, perfectly covers all the fundamentals of the human vocal range with ease.  An upper mid and lower treble recession might mask some female vocal harmonics, but that shouldn't cause for thin-ness.  In fact, sibilance often resides as the harmonics of human vocals.

Yes I agree the quality of that track was maybe not the best example I could have used, however I had just been listening to it with both headphones. I have experienced the same issue on red book and sacd. I would not call the sound weird, but maybe distant, for a lack of a better term, compared to the magnums. However, we all hear differently and this is just my opinion.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #2,883 of 22,116
Quote:

Here is video that is a good example of what you said, at least for my ears. Keep turning it up for the vocals, just never really makes it. Everything else sounds fantastic just a little shy on vocals. Plug in my Martin woodies V/4 magnums and there is the great vocals, now it is just a little shy on the slam !

The simple reason is that HE400s have their peculiar colouration that pushes vocals (as well as mids-rich instruments) back. That's why people describe HE400s as "laid-back", specifically it's the dip seen here between 3 and 5kHz:

Now you might love it or hate it; the colouration is intentional and defines the sound signature of this particular headphone.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #2,885 of 22,116
Hi guys, fast question, (but very important one):

Next friday im going to a store to check out the HE-400 (convined the sotre to ship them to the store, then test them). They will have the HE-400 and HE-500 for testing, and i need to know what i should be carefull about (i know they wont have more than 10 hours of burn in, so ill be carefull with my judgement, but apart from that, is there anything i should look for?

I am going to be using my cowon i9 and fiio e17 as default testing and probably add an E9 after that. So apart from the headphone beeing a bit too bright at start (and i assume thats where the burn in will come in handy), is there a known issue with some models that i might run into and id have to keep my eye out for (my ear actually).

Thx for the advice and wish me luck this friday! :D.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #2,886 of 22,116
I wouldn't overthink it. I know when I put on a hp within a minute or two that's it's one that I could enjoy or not based on the sound signature. Then if it's still comfortable after an hour, then I know that the wearability is okay. 

Bring some test tracks and just listen. This hp has a distinctive sound that is quite enjoyable for most. There is not a huge amount of burn in with these. 

You're very luck to have an opportunity to try before you buy...enjoy!!

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #2,887 of 22,116
What's up guys. I'll probably buy my HE-400 today. A friend of mine is in Orlando right now and agreed to bring the headphone for me. Unfortunately, she'll have to get rid of the original box, so I'll buy a case to protect the headphone in her bag. The thing is: there's only one US dealer that sells the Hifiman travel case. It's Audio Advisor. Do you guys recommend this store? I could get the HP from HeadRoom, but the only carrying case they sell is a cordura bag that doesn't offer much impact protection. Do you guys recommend any other hard cases for the HE-400?

Also, is there any way to spot a Rev. 2 apart from Rev. 1? Is there anything written on the box that tells that? I sent an email do Audio Advisor asking about that, but you never know.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #2,890 of 22,116
Quote:
So there's a Rev. 3? I didn't know that. Besides the pad and the driver, there's nothing that tells the headphone revision? That kinda sucks.

Thanks, Matt.

Well it's pretty simple to take off the pad and see the colour of the driver housing. It's designed to be removable.

And yeah there is a revision 3 but it had problems so revision 2 is what you should be looking for. Btw to answer your original question, revision 1 has a black driver housing, try to avoid that too, but it would be pretty unlikely to come across that.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #2,891 of 22,116
Quote:

Well it's pretty simple to take off the pad and see the colour of the driver housing. It's designed to be removable.

And yeah there is a revision 3 but it had problems so revision 2 is what you should be looking for. Btw to answer your original question, revision 1 has a black driver housing, try to avoid that too, but it would be pretty unlikely to come across that.

I'll tell my friend to check that for me, then. HeadRoom clearly states that they are selling Rev. 2, but Audio Advisor don't.

Thanks!

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #2,892 of 22,116
AFAIK...there are no r3 left out there. HIfiman was quite good about pulling off that stock from all the vendors. The only likelihood that you pick one up is if you bought used from someone who didn't send them back during the recall. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #2,893 of 22,116
Thanks a lot Matt !!

You suggested to check the 4 tabs of my He 400 when I suspected an imbalance issue on bass area, and shame on me it was probably just that :D

I've tightened both drivers, flattened the plastic parts of the velours (which was really not), made sure it is perfectly sealed

And its perfect now,
Thanks again, you made my week end !

Also thanks to Hifiman at Head direct, to my problem they take the he 400s back for a direct replacement with the possibility of upgrading to He 500 after 6 months !

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #2,895 of 22,116
Quote:
What's up guys. I'll probably buy my HE-400 today. A friend of mine is in Orlando right now and agreed to bring the headphone for me. Unfortunately, she'll have to get rid of the original box, so I'll buy a case to protect the headphone in her bag. The thing is: there's only one US dealer that sells the Hifiman travel case. It's Audio Advisor. Do you guys recommend this store? I could get the HP from HeadRoom, but the only carrying case they sell is a cordura bag that doesn't offer much impact protection. Do you guys recommend any other hard cases for the HE-400?

Also, is there any way to spot a Rev. 2 apart from Rev. 1? Is there anything written on the box that tells that? I sent an email do Audio Advisor asking about that, but you never know.

Audio Advisor is a reputable store that has been around for years.  I purchased my DAC from them.

So, head-direct.com (the HiFiMan store) will not ship the headphones direct to you ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back