**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #2,823 of 22,116
jerg,

Which do you prefer, the 400 or 500?

I'm running the 400 out of the E17, it sounds good, but not as good as running it from the Icon HDP. w/ Sigma 11

A little better than my Sennheiser HD 650, and crushes my Q701.

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #2,824 of 22,116
Fear this may be a double post; preemptive apologies if it is...

Looking to upgrade from my ATH-AD700s. Their highs can be a bit harsh, their bass a bit weak, but I'm basically just looking for Something That Sounds Better. If you're reading this forum, I'm guessing that's not an unknown feeling to you.

My ideal phones would have balanced and neutral frequency response, superb and rock-solid imaging, and a wide and realistic soundstage. When I listen to a string quartet, I love to hear each instrument precisely located, and the bows distinct from the fingerboards, if that makes sense.

I listen mostly to rock, pop, jazz, and classical. In the latter two realms, more often small groups than orchestras or big bands.

I have an audio-gd NFB12, which I use both as a standalone DAC/amp and a DAC feeding a Cambridge Audio Azur amp. I also have a couple FiiO amps and a Bithead floating around somewhere.

My next phones will be strictly stay-at-home and music only; no gaming or movies. Sound leakage is not a problem in my environment.

Budget is flexible, though $400 would certainly be near the top.

Anyway, reading this thread has left me thinking that the HE-400 might be a wonderful step up toward my personal version of audio nirvana. But, before I drop four bills on something I've never heard (I'm reasonably sure no one in Pittsburgh carries HiFiMan), I thought I'd ask for thoughts and advice. Does this sound like a good match?

Thanks in advance for your time and sage counsel.

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #2,825 of 22,116
I, is someone experience a different level of bass between left and right ?

I noticed a 2 db difference in bass level, the treble is the same but the low end hits strongly on the right side
I tried to switch the pads but its s the same problem

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #2,826 of 22,116
Quote:
I, is someone experience a different level of bass between left and right ?
I noticed a 2 db difference in bass level, the treble is the same but the low end hits strongly on the right side
I tried to switch the pads but its s the same problem

Test with sinewave tones with Sinegen. Also test with the two cable connections switched so L-channel feeds into R-cup, et cetera to make sure it's not the source's fault.

If with all those done, you still perceive a bass vol difference (especially if it is the case with the sinewave tone sweeps) then there may very well be a driver-related bass imbalance. In that case you can't do much other than sending it in for replacement. Bass imbalance is a pretty annoying QC issue with planar magnetic cans it seems, since it is directly correlated with different L-R membrane tension, which is controlled-for but not perfectly in manufacturing.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #2,827 of 22,116
Thanks Jerg
Good idea I'll try sinewave tones with Sinegen and cables switching

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #2,828 of 22,116
Looking to upgrade from my ATH-AD700s. Their highs can be a bit harsh, their bass a bit weak, but I'm basically just looking for Something That Sounds Better. If you're reading this forum, I'm guessing that's not an unknown feeling to you.
My ideal phones would have balanced and neutral frequency response, superb and rock-solid imaging, and a wide and realistic soundstage. When I listen to a string quartet, I love to hear each instrument precisely located, and the bows distinct from the fingerboards, if that makes sense.
I listen mostly to rock, pop, jazz, and classical. In the latter two realms, more often small groups than orchestras or big bands.
I have an audio-gd NFB12, which I use both as a standalone DAC/amp and a DAC feeding a Cambridge Audio Azur amp. I also have a couple FiiO amps and a Bithead floating around somewhere.
My next phones will be strictly stay-at-home and music only; no gaming or movies. Sound leakage is not a problem in my environment.
Anyway, reading this thread has left me thinking that the HE-400 might be a wonderful step up toward my personal version of audio nirvana. But, before I drop four bills on something I've never heard (I'm reasonably sure no one in Pittsburgh carries HiFiMan), I thought I'd ask for thoughts and advice. Does this sound like a good match?

I'd look into the 65th anniversary K702. They seem to be improved over the Q701 which is basically what you describe as wanting. The HE400 is a huge leap over the AD700, but its soundstage isnt very large, and I wouldnt call them balanced. The HE-4 is technically more balanced and superior to the HE400, though not as musical.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #2,829 of 22,116
I tried little sinegen and others but I don't get the bass frequencies??
Do you have a link to a good free program that works
Thanks a lot

edit : tried NCH tone generator and it s unbalanced, looks like I'll miss my he 400 for a while

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #2,830 of 22,116
Quote:
I tried little sinegen and others but I don't get the bass frequencies??
Do you have a link to a good free program that works
Thanks a lot

Sinegen does have bass frequencies; all the way down to 15 Hz in fact. You just hit "Power" to start the sinewave tone, and drag the frequency range bar to the left down to bass frequencies.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #2,831 of 22,116
Quote:

Yes, I've had it for a bit of time.  I love all of Cassandra's music.  Great stuff.  Also, we can't forget - Holly Cole, Etta James, and many, many great others.

Are you listening to her new one - Glad Rag Doll?  That album would sound bad on any system.  The issue is, she can write crappy music, and just rely on her album covers to sell the music.

tongue_smile.gif

Yet, I much prefer her earlier work instead.  The music ... that is.

I' say in general, but specifically these two:

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #2,832 of 22,116
Quote:

You say that you are looking for a neutral hp yet you think the ad700 is bass light. Most neutral hp are what I'd call bass light. Have you tried any of the Sennheiser line? Maybe something like an hd600/650 would be what you're after.

The he400 may seem like a bass can coming from you previous hp. It's wonderful ortho bass though and from an open can too which is a nice trick. The imaging that you're looking for is certainly there...have to disagree with MLE on that one. They are also great for your preferred music, but I'm not much of a rocker so I can't verify that genre. 

This is a special hp at $400 despite some production problems. It may be one that you have to pull the trigger on to find out just how good it really is. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #2,834 of 22,116
He mentioned soundstage as well as imaging. The HE-400 has almost perfect imaging, but it's soundstage isn't really wide or even realistic. It's moderately sized for an open can.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #2,835 of 22,116
^^

I will defer to you on that one. Actual soundstage has always been at the bottom of my list because I just really don't hear monumental differences. Not sure why really. I can hear differences between open and closed cans for sure, but I've also heard closed cans that I thought had good soundstage...such as the d5k and the maddogs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back