**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 27, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #2,641 of 22,116
Really wish a lot more people had tried the HE-4. Overlooked and massively underrated.

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #2,643 of 22,116
Yeah i enjoy my DT 880s was not asking if they were similar at all rather just pointing out based on what I read here that they will be a very different experience to enjoy "polar opposites" if you will, not 100% but enough so it seems, looking forward to it, really hope the female vocals don't sound too odd though

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #2,644 of 22,116
Quote:
Two questions for everyone. I finally have the money together to grab these. Where is the best place to get these right now? I know Moon Audio had a coupon a little while back? It's between there or Justin from Head-Amp. Also, if I buy from a place like one of those, will Hifiman still deal with any issues that arise? I just want to be sure before I buy a pair.

Yes, if there are any issues you can just contact HiFiMAN directly, though I have also done it for someone

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 28, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #2,648 of 22,116
Quote:
A quick question to He-400 and m-stage owner's. What do you set the m-stage gain to?

I have mine set to +10 db. Something you should know though, a lot of the M-stages have their gain switches flipped! 0db sounds way louder than 20db for example on mine. It's been discussed in the m-stage thread before. Yours may be switched.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #2,649 of 22,116
Quote:
A quick question to He-400 and m-stage owner's. What do you set the m-stage gain to?

+10 db on mine also. As beaver pointed out - the white markers at the bottom label correspond to the correct position of the switches, not the black ones. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2,650 of 22,116
Are these true leather or are they pleather? Also do they come with the velours now or do I have to order separate. And finally, people that have used both, do you feel they are $150 better than the DT880?

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #2,652 of 22,116
Quote:
Are these true leather or are they pleather? Also do they come with the velours now or do I have to order separate. And finally, people that have used both, do you feel they are $150 better than the DT880?

As far as I know, they are pleathers and you have to order velours separately. I haven't heard DT880s that much... just a few times for a few hours each.... but I would say HE400s are worth the money.

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #2,653 of 22,116
Hello all,

Sorry if this post is a repeat for any of you.  I asked this at the other he-400 thread, but have not yet gotten any responses.  Thought I'd try over here.

I've been sucked into the black hole that is head-fi and lurking for a while now though the endless threads and spending countless hours on research.  I think I finally have come to the determination that the he-400 is what I'm seeking; however, I am not totally sure what I need to complete my setup.  

I will use music from the MOG at 320 kbps as my source from both my Galaxy Nexus and PC.  On my pc I have onboard sound which I don't think too highly of.  I would like some portability, so I'm considering the e17/e09k combo.  That way I could use the e17 as a dac when at my PC and use it as an amp for my phone.  The dac in my Nexus does not seem half bad for when I go portable (waiting for someone to hopefully figure out that micro usb issue so I can output to a dac).

The other detail here is my father has an old NAD receiver I'm not sure what model, but it has a headphone jack and plenty of inputs on the back.  Is it 1) possible and 2) advisable to output SPDIF from PC to the e17/e09k combo using the e17's dac and the e09k as a preamp then using the rca outputs on the back of the e09k to the back of the NAD receiver for some extra juice? I apologize if this has been answered before, but my search found nothing.

Or can someone envision a better alternative?  As I said I would like some portability, but with that said I don't need to be walking around town and would stay mostly confined to a desk while I listen.  Thus, I would be happy to lug around a manageable dac & amp for when I go out of town or when I'm working from the office on weekends.  Money is an barrier.  I'm not looking to spend much more than 650 and would like to make my purchase through Amazon so I can get the 12 month financing.  I'm a poor social worker so its a must.  The only other thing I would say is that I'm hoping this hypotehtical setup would provide some future proofing in that I would be able to drive some other headphones which may be more difficult to drive if I am to expand my collection in the future.  I have the head-fi bug so I'm sure it just a matter of time before I get the itch again.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #2,654 of 22,116
Quote:
Hello all,

Sorry if this post is a repeat for any of you.  I asked this at the other he-400 thread, but have not yet gotten any responses.  Thought I'd try over here.

I've been sucked into the black hole that is head-fi and lurking for a while now though the endless threads and spending countless hours on research.  I think I finally have come to the determination that the he-400 is what I'm seeking; however, I am not totally sure what I need to complete my setup.  

I will use music from the MOG at 320 kbps as my source from both my Galaxy Nexus and PC.  On my pc I have onboard sound which I don't think too highly of.  I would like some portability, so I'm considering the e17/e09k combo.  That way I could use the e17 as a dac when at my PC and use it as an amp for my phone.  The dac in my Nexus does not seem half bad for when I go portable (waiting for someone to hopefully figure out that micro usb issue so I can output to a dac).

The other detail here is my father has an old NAD receiver I'm not sure what model, but it has a headphone jack and plenty of inputs on the back.  Is it 1) possible and 2) advisable to output SPDIF from PC to the e17/e09k combo using the e17's dac and the e09k as a preamp then using the rca outputs on the back of the e09k to the back of the NAD receiver for some extra juice? I apologize if this has been answered before, but my search found nothing.

Or can someone envision a better alternative?  As I said I would like some portability, but with that said I don't need to be walking around town and would stay mostly confined to a desk while I listen.  Thus, I would be happy to lug around a manageable dac & amp for when I go out of town or when I'm working from the office on weekends.  Money is an barrier.  I'm not looking to spend much more than 650 and would like to make my purchase through Amazon so I can get the 12 month financing.  I'm a poor social worker so its a must.  The only other thing I would say is that I'm hoping this hypotehtical setup would provide some future proofing in that I would be able to drive some other headphones which may be more difficult to drive if I am to expand my collection in the future.  I have the head-fi bug so I'm sure it just a matter of time before I get the itch again.

Quick answer: you dont need the e09k at all, just get the line out cable for the Fiio e17.
I believe it's called the L7. Seems like you don't need the e09k, you can save big bucks here :)

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #2,655 of 22,116
Quote:
Hello all,

From the PC's USB out -> HRT Music Streamer II asynchronous DAC (US$150)  -> NAD receiver

will be better sound quality - in my opinion - than anything mentioned above.

(Note:  The Music Streamer will not work from a smartphone or tablet.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back