**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 25, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #1,381 of 22,116
Quote:

I know you prefer the latter but is the E17 + E09K combo bad? Im thinking of getting this setup as my starter since i already own the E17. The Bifrost + Lyr is going to have to wait a while.

I had the e17 plus e09 for awhile. It's a nice combo. But the other poster was right, the e17 is a great little all in one solution but the dac portion is easily beaten. When I swapped the e17 for odac and e09 and got a noticeable improvement. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #1,382 of 22,116
Funny, I did the same and I feel like people are exaggerating. The E17 is a fine dac. Quick for people to throw their old equipment under the bus. The ODAC is slightly more fleshed out, but its an improvement, not a significant one.

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #1,383 of 22,116
I really can't make my mind up on which amp to get. Originally i was thinking the O2 but people say it sounds thin. I had my eye on the NuForce Icon HD but i cant find any impressions on it with the HE400. The Lyr is out of my price range for now. Any decent options out there around $200 that pair well with the he400?

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #1,384 of 22,116
Quote:

I had the e17 plus e09 for awhile. It's a nice combo. But the other poster was right, the e17 is a great little all in one solution but the dac portion is easily beaten. When I swapped the e17 for odac and e09 and got a noticeable improvement. 

I may try swapping my E17 for an odac, not interested in portable anymore since i sold off my IE80s.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #1,385 of 22,116
Quote:
FFFUUU!!!  Think I find myself underamped too...

Clip+ > iBasso D-Zero > HE-400 (leather):

Sounds alright, but very hot/sibilant and with underwhelming bass, which surprised me, given the reviews.  Played my go-to track for bass impact (Skrillex - Kyoto) and whaddaya know, f-all bass.

I'll wait til I can plug it into my stereo receiver back home (a couple weeks away) but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to grab an more serious amp (thinking integrated O2/ODAC)... thoughts?

Sibilant? Underwhelming bass? The best case scenario here might be that you have a defective he400, or perhaps, as you suggested yourself, they are seriously under-amped (stress on the serious part). Another grimmer possibility: you are a confirmed bass-head, and are also very sensitive to the treble spike at 10khz, and what's more, you are using some poorly mastered material for your reference point, and lastly, somehow you got your hands on a pair of rev3's (I'm not saying any of this is in the least bit true, but we have to consider all possibilities here.) As for the sibilance issue--I don't recall anyone ever calling even the revision 3 version sibilant! Very odd, indeed. Let us know if better amping resolves your complaints. Call me curious. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #1,387 of 22,116
Quote:

Sibilant? Underwhelming bass? The best case scenario here might be that you have a defective he400, or perhaps, as you suggested yourself, they are seriously under-amped (stress on the serious part). Another grimmer possibility: you are a confirmed bass-head, and are also very sensitive to the treble spike at 10khz, and what's more, you are using some poorly mastered material for your reference point, and lastly, somehow you got your hands on a pair of rev3's (I'm not saying any of this is in the least bit true, but we have to consider all possibilities here.) As for the sibilance issue--I don't recall anyone ever calling even the revision 3 version sibilant! Very odd, indeed. Let us know if better amping resolves your complaints. Call me curious. 

If the "Clip+" is the sansa clip - then the problem could be the source. Unless a USB connection can be made, he would have to be using the headphone-out as an input for the AMP/DAC combo he is running.

My guess is that he needs to trying connecting to a line out, like a computer, and do some more listening.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #1,388 of 22,116
Mine wz shipped toda. y and ETA is 31 Sept.

i have a fiio e1 and i will play with my android phone ( galaxy nexus)

But on the other hand i have a sony mhc 881 mini shelf system And it has a headphone out.
is it logical to use this shelf instead of e11?

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #1,391 of 22,116
Quote:

I've made up my mind in what setup im after. I'll get and odac + Matrix M-stage to go with the HE-400. It's way over my budget but who gives a tit.

deadhorse.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #1,392 of 22,116
Quote:

I've made up my mind in what setup im after. I'll get and odac + Matrix M-stage to go with the HE-400. It's way over my budget but who gives a tit.

Hello,
I have a modded Matrix-M-stage, and just recently got a pair of HE 400's. I am not ready to give a review because I am just getting used to the  sound of these phones. I also own  Sen HD600's and K701s. I have to say that the 400s are very bright compared to the 600's. Very deep sound stage, Not as wide though. I also have a Little Dot Mk III with Mullard tubes. I think the 400s sound allot better with tubes compared to the Matrix.
I also forgot to mention that I am using the Audio Quest Dragonfly out of my laptop. But The Matrix does pair very well with the 400's.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #1,393 of 22,116
Quote:
Hello,
I have a modded Matrix-M-stage, and just recently got a pair of HE 400's. I am not ready to give a review because I am just getting used to the  sound of these phones. I also own  Sen HD600's and K701s. I have to say that the 400s are very bright compared to the 600's. Very deep sound stage, Not as wide though. I also have a Little Dot Mk III with Mullard tubes. I think the 400s sound allot better with tubes compared to the Matrix.
I also forgot to mention that I am using the Audio Quest Dragonfly out of my laptop. But The Matrix does pair very well with the 400's.

The Little Dot is one sexy amp, maybe i'll take a look at that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back