**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #1,321 of 22,116
I found planars to pair better with solid states and not so much with tube amps. Is it a rule of thumb?

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #1,323 of 22,116
Amigads... they are less than 300km away in a Sydney depot...  Must resist urge to jump on the bike and scream my way to a break-and-enter charge.

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #1,324 of 22,116
All the ravings on this headphone make it hard to resist! I was originally planning on getting the Mad dogs because they seemed like the best closed headphone in my budget range. I could afford the 400 but that would leave no money for an amp + dac, well at least for a while. Can anyone recommend the best place to get these in Europe? Somewhere where it's confirmed they are selling rev2 and not rev3. I found here which is 400 EUR including shipping, but i also came across here which is 322 EUR including shipping, but it's from the US so that's before taxes. Also with ebay, i wouldn't know if they're trying to sell off they're rev3 stock.

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #1,325 of 22,116
Quote:
Anyone here know if you can get the headphone side hifiman plugs anywhere?

It's easy to find the cable side ones, but I'd like to be able to mod other headphones and just have one nice cable that I can use for both if it's possible :)

Just gonna say that, after I emailed their customer service, HiFiMan are selling me a pair for US$10.  So if anyone wants to mod other headphones to work with a single cable, you can get those ones if you don't want the larger xlr termination :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #1,326 of 22,116
Quote:
All the ravings on this headphone make it hard to resist! I was originally planning on getting the Mad dogs because they seemed like the best closed headphone in my budget range. I could afford the 400 but that would leave no money for an amp + dac, well at least for a while. Can anyone recommend the best place to get these in Europe? Somewhere where it's confirmed they are selling rev2 and not rev3. I found here which is 400 EUR including shipping, but i also came across here which is 322 EUR including shipping, but it's from the US so that's before taxes. Also with ebay, i wouldn't know if they're trying to sell off they're rev3 stock.

Buy from eBay US and you should be able to get a better price (400USD instead of 400EUR).  Head-director is Head-Direct's (ie the manufacturer's) account, and they have confirmed that they are selling the latest revision, which I would assume to be post-recall.

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #1,327 of 22,116
Quote:

Buy from eBay US and you should be able to get a better price (400USD instead of 400EUR).  Head-director is Head-Direct's (ie the manufacturer's) account, and they have confirmed that they are selling the latest revision, which I would assume to be post-recall.

Ah i hadn't noticed that! So it should be pretty much guaranteed that im getting rev2. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #1,328 of 22,116
Quote:

Ah i hadn't noticed that! So it should be pretty much guaranteed that im getting rev2. 

Well it might pay to ask them - this is the reply I received when I asked whether they were selling Rev1 or Rev2 (before I knew about any Rev3):

Yes, we are Head-Direct.

...snip...

The HE-400 is the latest revision,not Revision 1 stock.
Thank you very much for your inquiry.

They were also happy to include a pair of velours for $10 (paid in separate PayPal transaction).

I should have mine tomorrow so I'll try to take a photo and upload (so you can figure out what Rev it is).  I'd put a serious amount of money against any company with a rep/record like theirs flogging off recalled stock.  If Rev 2 is what they're shipping out to replace recalled Rev3s, I'd be comfortable that's what they're selling.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #1,329 of 22,116
Ill be using a vintage sansui 3030 receiver for my amp and a Pure i20 for a dac. Neve owned a proper headamp (not true, owned the kicas for a minute, had issues with it compared to the receiver with 650s) ... The problem is ultimately I want something like the LCD for which I'd go all out on a head amp but that's years away so in the meantime I can't drop money on an amp. I'm really leaning towards the 400, granted this is the thread for them so it's like I wanted to be convinced LOL but I can't forget when I first heard 650 I was shocked to find so little bass .... Of course th mids took over eventually but I'm kind of a basshead have always used bass heavy phones so I'm never fully satisfied without that fully fleshed out foundation. I've used m50 d2000 ie8 s4 and bcuase of these I'm actually sick of bass because they all go over the top and ruin my mids. The more I listen to music critically the I realize the importance of midrange but it sounds like 400 doesn't really sacrifice midrange it's just not the focus? If that's the case fine.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #1,330 of 22,116
Quote:
Ill be using a vintage sansui 3030 receiver for my amp and a Pure i20 for a dac. Neve owned a proper headamp (not true, owned the kicas for a minute, had issues with it compared to the receiver with 650s) ... The problem is ultimately I want something like the LCD for which I'd go all out on a head amp but that's years away so in the meantime I can't drop money on an amp. I'm really leaning towards the 400, granted this is the thread for them so it's like I wanted to be convinced LOL but I can't forget when I first heard 650 I was shocked to find so little bass .... Of course th mids took over eventually but I'm kind of a basshead have always used bass heavy phones so I'm never fully satisfied without that fully fleshed out foundation. I've used m50 d2000 ie8 s4 and bcuase of these I'm actually sick of bass because they all go over the top and ruin my mids. The more I listen to music critically the I realize the importance of midrange but it sounds like 400 doesn't really sacrifice midrange it's just not the focus? If that's the case fine.

No the he400 does not sacrifice mid for it's wonderful bass. In that regard it's similar to the lcd2. I think you'd love it based on what you've said above. Actually it seems like it would fit you perfectly. Hhm...sounds like it might be your first planar also?? The hd650 was the first hp that made me really appreciate the mids also. But you can't go wrong with the he400. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #1,331 of 22,116
Quote:

Well it might pay to ask them - this is the reply I received when I asked whether they were selling Rev1 or Rev2 (before I knew about any Rev3):

They were also happy to include a pair of velours for $10 (paid in separate PayPal transaction).

I should have mine tomorrow so I'll try to take a photo and upload (so you can figure out what Rev it is).  I'd put a serious amount of money against any company with a rep/record like theirs flogging off recalled stock.  If Rev 2 is what they're shipping out to replace recalled Rev3s, I'd be comfortable that's what they're selling.

Yeah im pretty sure now it's rev2 they're selling, but either way i'll be very interested to see your findings when you receive your pair. I will also make sure to ask for the velours.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #1,332 of 22,116
Sigh.. I wonder how much longer I'm going to have to wait for my phones to come to me :frowning2:

I'm still waiting for an email from them saying they received it, ( although it should have been there on the 12th) ms. T said she'll keep me posted when she finds it.

I really want to see how the he400 pairs with the lyr lol

And find out if I need to tube roll or if the stock tubes are good enough :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #1,333 of 22,116
The combo of lyr and he400 is very good. The stock ge tubes are good and you could be set with them for a couple years no problem. With that said, I prefer a pair of Lorenz tubes that I got for a steal here on the used forum. It's great to have the ability to zero in on the sound signature that you're after. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #1,335 of 22,116
Quote:
Any particular reason you guys are talking buying from eBay rather than their head-direct.com store?

I brought up ebay because it seems to offer the cheapest transport costs to Europe, only $18. I'll send an email to head-direct and ask them how much they charge to ship to my area, unless anyone already knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back