**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #916 of 22,116
Anybody know the best and cheapest way of getting these headphones in the UK?

Most places seem to be selling it at £400! 
I found a website called Head Direct who will deliver for only £257 ($416), but there's a chance i may get charged customs duty once it arrives in UK....

Anybody else in UK had experience ordering from these guys? Did you get charged by customs?

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #917 of 22,116
Quote:
Anybody know the best and cheapest way of getting these headphones in the UK?

Most places seem to be selling it at £400! 
I found a website called Head Direct who will deliver for only £257 ($416), but there's a chance i may get charged customs duty once it arrives in UK....

Anybody else in UK had experience ordering from these guys? Did you get charged by customs?

I ordered from Head Direct in the UK. Paid $400 + delivery + velour ear pads, a total of around £270. They arrived a week later and I didn't have to pay any tax or duty, just turned up at my door via FedEx.

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #919 of 22,116
That last response made me pull the trigger. Just ordered!!!!!! 
gs1000.gif

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #922 of 22,116
Quote:
Hi, just got mine today, 2 quick questions :)
1. How to check revision?
2. What treble issue was found with rev3? Anyone can confirm?

1: just detach an earpad and see if the driver plastic is translucent pearl white (r2), or opaque sandy white-yellow (r3).

2: if you can't hear anything wrong with the treble, then it's not an issue for you. Basically r3 has a more pronounced treble that's quite piercing/fatiguing for some of us who are treble-sensitive, unlike how rev 2 sounded (dark with only some treble sparkle).

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #923 of 22,116
Sigh, I'm quite sure people are exaggerating the treble on the R3.

Guarantee this is just typical Head-fi blowing things out of proportion.

HOEZNOEZ SOMEONE DOESNT LIEK TEH TREBLES, ITS NAO A HORRIBUL HEADPHON!11!

Give me a break.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #924 of 22,116
Quote:
Give me a break.

Are they running around with their hands on their head while they say that too? 

That's what I'm picturing lol 

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #925 of 22,116
Quote:
Give me a break.

I don't know. I never heard a pair of rev2's, but my rev3's do actually have fairly sharp treble. And this is coming from a self-proclaimed treble-head and Grado-fan...

The treble actually sounds tizzy with some recordings, and lends to a metallic tinge to female vocals that some people have mentioned. I felt I was actually being stabbed in the ears with this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD8IY7Q_n-U

Granted, it's probably just poorly produced. But yeah. With well-produced music, I actually like the brightness up top. Muse's new album sounds great on the HE-400! The treble brings forward the snapping fingers in the intro on Survival. Cymbals also sound crisp, if probably a little unnatural though.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #926 of 22,116
Quote:
Give me a break.

It's probably not as bad as Pro900 treble, but it's pretty bad, as in it just messes up 90% vocal music and make them sound all prickly and metallic.

But @Biscuitz that is a horribly mastered/filtered piece of vocal music, not really useful for gauging sibilance.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #927 of 22,116
That song is overly sibilant on these AD700s, and it doesn't even have a treble spike.  Someone went happy EQ'ing the treble up while mastering it.  I couldn't imagine it on an HE-400, let alone an HE-400 rev 3.

I wonder why they'd call it acoustic, it's clear that her voice has all kinds of filters on it.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #929 of 22,116
Here's a track that really accentuates HE400r3's treble problem (Nils Lofgren - Big Tears Fall, acoustic live):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5xN5tWM3YM

Nils Lofgren has a natural "whispiness" in this voice, which sounds fantastic with headphones that have smooth treble response, but it is absolutely ear-wrecking with the new HE400s.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #930 of 22,116
I'm gonna call it expectation bias. Someone said the treble is too sharp, and everyone else started jumping in, fully expecting it to be that way, so that's what they hear. I call bullsh*t on this bandwagon. No offense.

The R2 already has fatiguing treble with certain songs. I don't see the R3 being truly different. At least, not until real graphs are posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back