**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #946 of 22,116
Quote:
True. But others were defensive about the situation. It's nice to see Fang step up by replacing affected units and move on.

I mean, different people have different tolerances, this is no exception.

Also, sonic defects are tough to identify for us who don't have extensive audiophile background -  the treble ringing is nasty to my ears, but it took me a while (the whole past week) to deduce that it was in fact ringing rather than just increased overall treble volume. If say someone like LFF, purrin, or Tyll heard it they'd probably come to the right diagnosis within minutes if not seconds.

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #947 of 22,116
Quote:

I mean, different people have different tolerances, this is no exception.

Also, sonic defects are tough to identify for us who don't have extensive audiophile background -  the treble ringing is nasty to my ears, but it took me a while (the whole past week) to deduce that it was in fact ringing rather than just increased overall treble volume. If say someone like LFF, purrin, or Tyll heard it they'd probably come to the right diagnosis within minutes if not seconds.

Sure, but again calling BS on the issue is basically completely discrediting other's claims. Whether or not it bothers you personally,
I don't think you should go talking out of your ass. Personally, I felt the problems aforementioned, but I still didn't think they
were unbearable or generally bad. They're just not what they were intended to be. Let us know how the replacement sounds.
Now I just hope people don't start complaining if Hifiman takes a minute to get replacements out. Who really knows how many 
"recalled" HE-400's are out there.

And I vote for Tylll to be chosen to test out your theory, while recording video. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #948 of 22,116
Quote:
Sure, but again calling BS on the issue is basically completely discrediting other's claims. Whether or not it bothers you personally,
I don't think you should go talking out of your ass. Personally, I felt the problems aforementioned, but I still didn't think they
were unbearable or generally bad. They're just not what they were intended to be. Let us know how the replacement sounds.
Now I just hope people don't start complaining if Hifiman takes a minute to get replacements out. Who really knows how many 
"recalled" HE-400's are out there.

And I vote for Tylll to be chosen to test out your theory, while recording video. 
biggrin.gif

Hm...wait lemme get this straight, you are claiming that I shouldn't trust my hearing?

The only reason I was prudent about describing how I was bothered by the sound of the new HE400 replacement back a few weeks ago when I just received it, was because I was one of the very first who received this batch and no one else had said anything about it yet. Also I vehemently believed that burning in may have been able to resolve it (so that adds another several days before it 'sank' in).

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #949 of 22,116
Quote:

Hm...wait lemme get this straight, you are claiming that I shouldn't trust my hearing?

The only reason I was prudent about describing how I was bothered by the sound of the new HE400 replacement back a few weeks ago when I just received it, was because I was one of the very first who received this batch and no one else had said anything about it yet. Also I vehemently believed that burning in may have been able to resolve it (so that adds another several days before it 'sank' in).

Of course you should. I wasn't implying you shouldn't. You weren't one to call BS on the issue. In fact, you're the one who brought it up.
And my point is simply this: If it doesn't bother you, fine. But don't imply that others who are bothered by it, only are because of 
bias, inexperience, etc. 

Note: I totally understand a few expressed having issue with the HE-400. And perhaps others did in fact, dog pile on,
that kind of hyperbole is part of Head-Fi. But that doesn't mean it's a placebo, or pure BS.

If someone said the LCD-2's were too bright, I'd first wonder if there was something wrong with the tuning. Same thing for the HE-400,
if people complained about the ringing and fatigue, I'd wonder if something was wrong with the headphone. Instead of simply
denying the possibility.

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #950 of 22,116
I'm about 3 weeks into my pair of 400's and couldn't be happier.  I've been listening to the 24/96 download (unlimited) of McCartney's Ram on  MacBook Air>Dragonfly>Bellari 540A>HE400's.  The separation and definition of sound is above the better high def vinyl, SACD, and DVD-A  setups I've heard and a lot more bang for the buck. The 400's are my first taste of Ortho technology andI have no buyer remorse.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #951 of 22,116
So, my next question is how will HFM go forward with production of the he400? Or did I miss that part. Will they continue to produce r3? 

Oh, off topic...will someone with Alice in Chains Unplugged, please help me out. When the album starts with the first track "Nutshell" an acoutic guitar starts  on my side of the stage predominantly. Which side of the stage does it come from for you? My pc is spazzing on me. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #953 of 22,116
Quote:
So, my next question is how will HFM go forward with production of the he400? Or did I miss that part. Will they continue to produce r3? 

Oh, off topic...will someone with Alice in Chains Unplugged, please help me out. When the album starts with the first track "Nutshell" an acoutic guitar starts  on my side of the stage predominantly. Which side of the stage does it come from for you? My pc is spazzing on me. 

Not 100% sure but Fang's wording is "We have corrected this problem at the manufacturing level", it sounds as though they will be doing a r3.5 driver that's basically the same as r2 but maybe cosmetically different.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #955 of 22,116
Quote:
Well, that would be the best case scenario. Maybe Eric from customer support will chime in from the HFM support thread, right sweetheart. 
wink_face.gif

Interesting fact: I felt embarrassed and confused for a whole day with that incident.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #956 of 22,116
Quote:

God why haven't I bought this album, this stuff should be played on rock radio all the time over Nirvana's unplugged. Also not sure what you mean by side of the stage (distance of soundstage?) the track seems to be mixed very hard rhythm left Cantrell right. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #957 of 22,116
Quote:

Interesting fact: I felt embarrassed and confused for a whole day with that incident.

me and Matt laughed out loud for sure
biggrin.gif

Quote:
God why haven't I bought this album, this stuff should be played on rock radio all the time over Nirvana's unplugged. Also not sure what you mean by side of the stage (distance of soundstage?) the track seems to be mixed very hard rhythm left Cantrell right. 

Got the AIC Unplugged DVD few years back (might be 7-8), it remains my favourite unplugged up to date. Glad you guys like it too.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #958 of 22,116
I'm about 3 weeks into my pair of 400's and couldn't be happier.  I've been listening to the 24/96 download (unlimited) of McCartney's Ram on  MacBook Air>Dragonfly>Bellari 540A>HE400's.  The separation and definition of sound is above the better high def vinyl, SACD, and DVD-A  setups I've heard and a lot more bang for the buck. The 400's are my first taste of Ortho technology andI have no buyer remorse.

Hello I am thinking about purchasing a pair of these. How do they compare to HD600s and K700s. is the instrument imaging and separation as good?

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #959 of 22,116
I can comment on the comparison to the hd600 but not to the k700. Compared to the hd600, the he400 has a warmer sound with much better bass impact and texture. The he400 has very nice mids that render voices very naturally. Smooth and slightly laid back. The hd600 is closer to neutral with much less bass and more forward mids. The hd600 is also a bit brighter. The he400 can be driven easier also. Now compared to the hd650, you have a different story. 
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #960 of 22,116
Quote:
I can comment on the comparison to the hd600 but not to the k700. Compared to the hd600, the he400 has a warmer sound with much better bass impact and texture. The he400 has very nice mids that render voices very naturally. Smooth and slightly laid back. The hd600 is closer to neutral with much less bass and more forward mids. The hd600 is also a bit brighter. The he400 can be driven easier also. Now compared to the hd650, you have a different story. 
tongue.gif

Now now, I wouldn't say the HD600s are brighter. At least for the rev3, they're about on par. The HE400s definitely have more treble and more bass. I prefer the mids/vocals on my HD600s. It's not much less bass, but yeah the bass on the HE400s is definitely better. That said, I love my HD600s already because of their laid back but detailed presentation. My HE400s (rev3, gonna exchange for rev3.5) sound great with my Lyr. I wasn't a huge fan of them with my E17 but I think the Lyr has improved them considerably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back