**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 30, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #21,679 of 22,116
i'm not committed to a price point yet for the amp, but spending around $850 might be doable and then at that price point i see the SPL Phonitor Mini and then the Schiit Mjolnir and honestly, i'm leaning towards the Phonitor because of the added options, and i prefer its aesthetics.

If i were to decide $850 is too much and i want to spend less, one thing i would really like is to have both rca and xlr. Looking at the next step down for Schiit, the lyr 2 doesn't have this. Does anyone have any recommendations for sub $800 amps with both rca and xlr?

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #21,680 of 22,116
This whole "HiFiMAN + vintage amps" thing is perplexing. Particularly regarding the HE-6, where people vaguely describe "quality watts".

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #21,681 of 22,116
They mean current. The HE-6 is generally plugged into the speaker taps so that it can get some hefty current. It's actual sensitivity is around the 60db-70db mark instead of what's on the specifications.

Lots of older amps have hefty power supplies which ensures that the amp never runs out of juice in loud passages. My Onkyo A5100 has an output of 110wx2 but has a 800w power supply and capacitors the size of small cans.

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #21,682 of 22,116
My stock pleather pads wore out.
My buying options
velour
http://www.brainwavzaudio.in/collections/accessories/products/velour-headphone-pad
pleather
http://www.brainwavzaudio.in/collections/accessories/products/pleather-headphone-pad
pleather and velour angled
http://www.brainwavzaudio.in/collections/accessories/products/headphone-pad-angled
hybrid
http://www.brainwavzaudio.in/collections/accessories/products/headphone-pad-hybrid

The brainwavz hybrid looks like hifiman focus pad. focus pad costs more ( $92 ) for me in india through amazon.

saw a review on amazon saying that the brainwavz hybrid fit his HE400S. so assumign these fit HE400.

Help me in this.

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #21,683 of 22,116
You could look at the Gustard H10.

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #21,685 of 22,116
  You could look at the Gustard H10.

yeah, i don't know how i found those, but i definitely looked at them. Settled on getting the Schiit Jotunheim. I think i tend to prefer slightly brighter sound signatures, so i wasn't too excited about schiit tube or LISST amps. But looks like this one is pretty neutral or slightly on the brighter side of neutral. Plus it has the balanced output that i wanted. And it looks to be pretty good for iems, which is good because other than he 400s, i have UERMs. Right around the price range i wanted. Plus i have a real cheap dac, so upgrading the dac for just $100 more seemed like a bargain.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #21,686 of 22,116
My stock pleather pads wore out.
My buying options
velour
http://www.brainwavzaudio.in/collections/accessories/products/velour-headphone-pad
pleather
http://www.brainwavzaudio.in/collections/accessories/products/pleather-headphone-pad
pleather and velour angled
http://www.brainwavzaudio.in/collections/accessories/products/headphone-pad-angled
hybrid
http://www.brainwavzaudio.in/collections/accessories/products/headphone-pad-hybrid

The brainwavz hybrid looks like hifiman focus pad. focus pad costs more ( $92 ) for me in india through amazon.

saw a review on amazon saying that the brainwavz hybrid fit his HE400S. so assumign these fit HE400.

Help me in this.
If it fit the 400S it will fit the 400.

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #21,687 of 22,116
i bought a new cable (hybrid chineese silver/copper one) and the result were audibly better than with the silver cable i had before.... I decide to put a red silk paper cutted like a donut and i glued it on top of the grill mesh i have already put after taking off the original grill....with sorbothane around the driver inside....My he 400 now upgrade more than i would have  not  dare to imagine... the he 400 is a marvellous headphone, taken back by vibration and resonance in the cups and a bad grill design....I can say that these he 400 are so realisticly good  now than i prefer them to my beloved Stax SR-5 +sorbothane and more than my lambda Stax +sorb. also....I dont want to upgrade anymore....I had never thought that they can sound so much good.... one year ago i wanted to sell them, because they sound too much artificial....Sorbothane mods. improve them so much that i can keep them,now with the right grill mod.  and a better cable they are really astounding, no more evident defects in all count, the imaging is now spectacular ,  with  naturalness of the timbre,  and no more the infamous   too much recessed mids....I really think that headphone design in general is with more flaws than most people imagine....

By the way i drive them with a Sansui AU 7700 and the result is astoundingly better than with my previous amp ....
atsmile.gif

I wrote that because if you have one pair before selling them  to make a so called  upgrade think twice....

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #21,689 of 22,116
I use currently Shure SRH1440 velours on HE-400. I have made jergpad mod aswell and altough they sound good, something in midrange drew me away from HE-400, somehow hollow or too hallish sound for my tastes maybe. Anyway I found SRH1440 pads to sound more natural with midrange, altough they take some bass punchyness away compared to jergs, but overall I like them more currently. Vent mod is still present between mounting rings and headphones to enhance soundstage. Very comfy also.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #21,690 of 22,116
  I use currently Shure SRH1440 velours on HE-400. I have made jergpad mod aswell and altough they sound good, something in midrange drew me away from HE-400, somehow hollow or too hallish sound for my tastes maybe. Anyway I found SRH1440 pads to sound more natural with midrange, altough they take some bass punchyness away compared to jergs, but overall I like them more currently. Vent mod is still present between mounting rings and headphones to enhance soundstage. Very comfy also.

dont sell them.... this is my experience before adequate sorbothane application, and adequate grill mod.  they will transform in a new headphone....i dont listen often  my 2 Stax, and trust me they are good with sorbothane....I know for sure that because of the bad grill that hifiman sell with them( the reason is their  grill must be first and for all protective before anything), and because of cups resonance, they sound hollow yes, but not anymore for me....ratio quality/price of the he 400 with these 2 mods is over the roof....
atsmile.gif
 Before that 2 mods i was eaten alive by envy when i read review of expansive headphone, now i relax, wait some years to come , and smile....

P.S. I forgot that a hybrid chineese cable made also some difference with the silver he 500 basic cable i had with my He 400 ...But also i forgot to say that all my gear are sorbothanized  from the power filtration to the headphone dac, amp, energizer,battery charger for the dac, speakers included, that accumation of cleaning resonance installation  with all the links of my chain transfered at the end  to the  resulting sound of the hifiman also....In a word :  read about  sorbothane...

People think that if they pay thousand dollars there is no more work to improve the sound, the cie. that sell their gear is suppose to know what they do  do,and they know what they do, yes , but in marketting  reality , they sell their product  and dont want to say to a customer:« this 2 thousand amp is the best in the world but you must  put 70 duro sorbothane under his feet and a load of granite or bricks (25 pounds for example) to compress the sorb. adequately, because it is a fact  that vibration plague all gear, and isolating method are not enough»,  this would be very bad marketing!  indeed they cannot say that  !
smile.gif
...Me i can say that...i dont sell sorbothane nor any audio product... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back