**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 20, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #21,661 of 22,116
  Thinking of modding my HE-400 to tame the treble and improving a few other areas. Has anyone here experimented with the fuzzor mod? Also reading up on sorbothane and ohrougami's blue tac

my adice is buy  pre-glued sorbothane duro 70 1/4 inches , it is a perfect fit if you push it slightly in the groove around the membrane.... And think to implement the grill mods... With that i listen less with my  sorbothanized Stax SR-5 gold...The he 400 is the bargain can of the century with these 2 mod. rightly implemented ...
beerchug.gif

Sorbothgane not only absob vibrations, like blutack, but it transform them in heat and dissipate a great part of them, hence very few products compare to that in audio for erasing negative resonance in the enclosure cups...

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #21,662 of 22,116
  Thinking of modding my HE-400 to tame the treble and improving a few other areas. Has anyone here experimented with the fuzzor mod? Also reading up on sorbothane and ohrougami's blue tac

Taming the treble is best done with liner mod IIRC from the HE-560 thread.

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #21,663 of 22,116
The first months i listen to my he 400 i want badly  to tame the treble... It is possible with a good  dac and amplifier, and with a good mods. but transforming the he 400 completely, not only taming the treble, i think it is necessary to damp with the right application of  sorb.... after that i think the grill mod. add a completely new level of realism , but my first attempt with a large metallic mesh grid  was way less better than with a thighter plastic mesh grid and a hole in the center, with silk punctured paper glued on it...
basshead.gif
  BUT it is only my experience imho 

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #21,664 of 22,116

don't know what you've done yet, but the best mods to maximize the sound of the he-400 and correct the treble spike are (in order of priority, imo)

1. audeze vegan pads- tames treble, cleans up mids, more texture/slightly less bass slam, more open cohesive sound.
2. grill mod
3. fuzzor mod
4. sorb- never done but did blu-tak in my he-6. wasn't anything revolutionary but supposedly tightens up bass.
5. lohb strap- comfort only. ive never had an issue with comfort. if you get hotspots adjust the headband. if you still get hotspots, keep adjusting till the headband is contoured to your head. it stays on my head better without a strap.

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #21,665 of 22,116

don't know what you've done yet, but the best mods to maximize the sound of the he-400 and correct the treble spike are (in order of priority, imo)

1. audeze vegan pads- tames treble, cleans up mids, more texture/slightly less bass slam, more open cohesive sound.
2. grill mod
3. fuzzor mod
4. sorb- never done but did blu-tak in my he-6. wasn't anything revolutionary but supposedly tightens up bass.
5. lohb strap- comfort only. ive never had an issue with comfort. if you get hotspots adjust the headband. if you still get hotspots, keep adjusting till the headband is contoured to your head. it stays on my head better without a strap.

The sorb. mods. dont act like the blu-tak only to tighten bass, it act on ALL FREQUENCIES because sorbothane absorb vibrations and dissipate them  in heat, not blu-tak...
The grill mod rightly implemented is very extraordinary only  AFTER THE SORB. MOD. without it it is only an ordinary  improvement in my experience...

The he 400 is made for sorb mod... there is a groove inside, around the membrane, exactly fit for 70 duro 1/4 inches sorbothane... Try that...
smile.gif

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #21,666 of 22,116
Check out the MrSpeakers doggie treats kit. Keeps the brightness but helps kill the spikes. Photo of what I did is a few pages back.

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #21,667 of 22,116
You guys have some serious balls to disassemble and modify these HP's. I would have no clue how to do it and I'd be afraid I'd never get it back together again. I mean where did you get the sorbethane and the replacement rear screens?

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #21,668 of 22,116
Sorbothane sheets are readily available on Amazon or eBay. I bought a small sheet which was enough to cover my pair, send some to a headfi buddy, and have quite a bit left over.

Again, the screen covers can come from Amazon or eBay and can be crafted from metal mesh garbage cans or decorative plastic computer fan covers.

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #21,670 of 22,116
Late to the party but finally bought some Hifiman velours. Gave them a try and immediately noticed the clarity difference compared to the pleather, however the sub bass impact was reduced greatly and I found it very dry sounding...comfort also sucked since the foam in their is comparable to my kitchen sponge. 

Decided to convert them into a pair of jerg pads and man was that idea was a game changer. I find they're much more natural sounding and enjoyable to listen to. Still need to get around to the rest of the mods on here, maybe a weekend project 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #21,671 of 22,116
  Late to the party but finally bought some Hifiman velours. Gave them a try and immediately noticed the clarity difference compared to the pleather, however the sub bass impact was reduced greatly and I found it very dry sounding...comfort also sucked since the foam in their is comparable to my kitchen sponge. 

Decided to convert them into a pair of jerg pads and man was that idea was a game changer. I find they're much more natural sounding and enjoyable to listen to. Still need to get around to the rest of the mods on here, maybe a weekend project 
smily_headphones1.gif

Well worth it.  Make or break for me.

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #21,672 of 22,116
So i've had the he 400 with the focuspad-a, i've just been using an o2 amp with them, thinking about upgrading the amp, not just to improve the he 400 but to allow for maybe getting some higher end planars or electostatic headphones in the future. I think i want to stay away from tubes if possible too, don't need additional coloring imo. Any recommendations?

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #21,673 of 22,116
  So i've had the he 400 with the focuspad-a, i've just been using an o2 amp with them, thinking about upgrading the amp, not just to improve the he 400 but to allow for maybe getting some higher end planars or electostatic headphones in the future. I think i want to stay away from tubes if possible too, don't need additional coloring imo. Any recommendations?

get some Schiit

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #21,674 of 22,116

Vintage speaker amp - and then try the HE-400 out of the speaker taps.  Will blow your mind how good it can sound - with incredible bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back