**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 21, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #21,076 of 22,116
  About to pull the trigger on the velpads. I put velours on my old MDR-V6s and I liked them so much better than the stock pleathers. Don't know why I didn't do this earlier.

Has anyone added foam to the headband for comfort? Thinking about also getting these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J80IMJ4
I heard they will fit the hifimans. Going to use velcro to put them on. 

My head is pretty small so I get a pretty small pressure point with the headphones. 

Loving these headphones so much overall. I think these will be the last pair of headphones I will get(until they break). I got a used set of speakers from craigslist and I think I might like speakers more than headphones...

A member named Lohb sells a suspension pad setup for the HE series that is excellent in my opinion.  $45ish and worth it to solve that headband problem better than any pad.  Have it on my HE-400 and it helps overall comfort. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #21,077 of 22,116
  About to pull the trigger on the velpads. I put velours on my old MDR-V6s and I liked them so much better than the stock pleathers. Don't know why I didn't do this earlier.

Has anyone added foam to the headband for comfort? Thinking about also getting these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J80IMJ4

My head is pretty small so I get a pretty small pressure point with the headphones. 

Loving these headphones so much overall. I think these will be the last pair of headphones I will get(until they break). I got a used set of speakers from craigslist and I think I might like speakers more than headphones...

I use these on my he-400/500s.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Wool-Headband-Cushion-For-HE6-HE4-HE500-HE300-HE400-HE5LE-Headphones-/251720646308?var=&hash=item3a9bb83ea4

I use a suspension headband on my Fostex headphones which is better in my opinion. I have not found a reasonable priced equivalent for the HEs. For example, MrSpeakers has one for the Fostex headphones for $14.99. If you find one for $20 or so, please share.

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #21,081 of 22,116

A member named Lohb sells a suspension pad setup for the HE series that is excellent in my opinion.  $45ish and worth it to solve that headband problem better than any pad.  Have it on my HE-400 and it helps overall comfort. 

I'll try to track him down!! I saw a couple pictures and it looks pretty great. I hope the new pads help at least a little bit with comfort.

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #21,082 of 22,116

I use these on my he-400/500s.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Wool-Headband-Cushion-For-HE6-HE4-HE500-HE300-HE400-HE5LE-Headphones-/251720646308?var=&hash=item3a9bb83ea4

I use a suspension headband on my Fostex headphones which is better in my opinion. I have not found a reasonable priced equivalent for the HEs. For example, MrSpeakers has one for the Fostex headphones for $14.99. If you find one for $20 or so, please share.

Do those actually provide any cushioning? They look pretty thin. Maybe I can get the foam supports and put that over them. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #21,083 of 22,116

I used the same Sennheiser headband pad on my HE-400 with three Velcro straps, one in the middle of the head band and one at each of the end tabs.  Works great and requires no adhesive or other permanent modification.  Makes them so much more comfortable which good because that stock headband just does not cut it especially considering the weight of these cans.  I can also vouch for the standard velour Hifiman ear pads on the HE-400... makes em much more comfortable for prolonged wear, tones down the treble just a bit and tightens up the bass.

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #21,085 of 22,116
Do those actually provide any cushioning? They look pretty thin. Maybe I can get the foam supports and put that over them. 

They do help. The problem with the factory headband is you get a point at the top of your head that may become sore. The wool cover distributes the weight. The suspension will do a better job distributing but more than $20 is ridiculous in my opinion.

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #21,089 of 22,116
I am ordering some he400 through a forum member sometime this week, and am beyond excited. I got the vali off craigslist in my area. Anything a new user to Hifiman (and planars in general) should know before slipping these on?

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #21,090 of 22,116
@bookah They can have some comfort issues due to the weight and the headband, but properly powered they can be quite fun and impressive.  It's one of the more impressive open bass cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back