**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 10, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #20,971 of 22,116
Guys, I have a question, have you ever noticed, when you have the HE400 on and listening music, then when you will f.e. pull the bottom part of the cups just a tiny bit away of head, that the bass will be much more massive, like the amount of bass has been extended quite much ?

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #20,972 of 22,116
  Guys, I have a question, have you ever noticed, when you have the HE400 on and listening music, then when you will f.e. pull the bottom part of the cups just a tiny bit away of head, that the bass will be much more massive, like the amount of bass has been extended quite much ?

There is a jerg mod for that , it lifts the ear-pad with rubber much the same shape as sorbo...

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #20,973 of 22,116
If I understand it correctly, it would result in loss of the effect of bigger amount of bass, but...to be honest, I like it, I am always like i miss a little bit more bass, the fact of pulling the bottom part of cups just a tiny bit away makes just a tiny more than expected

Now thinking about sorbo - I have ordered some sorbo yesterday 
Now, there maybe comes in hand the question, will not have a sorbo have some sort of bass reduce effect ? I will mount it around the inner part of a cup, just like mateo did
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/20940#post_12044120

Sorry for the second question, little bit OT

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #20,974 of 22,116
  If I understand it correctly, it would result in loss of the effect of bigger amount of bass, but...to be honest, I like it, I am always like i miss a little bit more bass, the fact of pulling the bottom part of cups just a tiny bit away makes just a tiny more than expected

Now thinking about sorbo - I have ordered some sorbo yesterday 
Now, there maybe comes in hand the question, will not have a sorbo have some sort of bass reduce effect ? I will mount it around the inner part of a cup, just like mateo did
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/20940#post_12044120

Sorry for the second question, little bit OT

The ear cup "bass boost" phenomenon was documented here way back when, I believe. The "mod" was to cram spacers between the ear pad and cup to "break the seal". The impact was, I guess, less bass extension for a little more bass "slam". MUCH more easily achieved with a wide-Q bass boost of about 2-3 dB at 50 hz (to my ears this adds nice bass weight without adding muddiness).

Adding Sorbathane will NOT effect the bass (in any negative way I can discern). It should be adding up to 40 dB of broadband noise reduction for frequencies 50 hz-up, but we have learned that the material has not been tested for frequencies below 50 hz.

My first application of sorbathane was too much. It is hard to describe how I knew that, but after hours of listening I just got a sense that they were lacking a good sense of liveliness compared to my PSBs. I have been more satisfied so far with the application as you saw it in the link I posted. In effect, I am enjoying a much cleaner midrange / treble without loosing too much "energy". I find the effect on the bass to be pretty null - they still punch hard and hit all the notes. Even if the bass were dampened a bit, the tradeoff is well worth it to my ears.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #20,975 of 22,116
I want to note that I did not take pictures, but I sorbathaned my sail panels in my car. I also removed the Polk tweeter and sorb'd the rear of it, which already had a dense foam patch adhered.

Now, I've never had a "flat" response in-car, and never will. I don't have the measuring precision and only have a 5-band EQ to work with. But I wanted to note that the sorbathane seems to have done something. The impression is MUCH weaker however, because I noticed I had one crossover set to -3dB and the other set to 0dB. SO, now they are both set to -3 dB, which has improved my ability to get the bass quantity I want without constantly playing with the dial. 

But I can't conclude since my level adjustment made an impact as well. But I certainly gained a sense that the tweeters are more "in focus" even though response is still uneven. I seem to be pushing the volume knob up a bit higher without sensing the same "congestion" that I heard before. Now if only I had bought the 100 wpc amp instead of the 50 . . .

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #20,976 of 22,116
Thank you, I have took the idea and I wanted immediately make some alternative "stand-off" for the pads and done...

I have taken the plastic - cone-styled cover from random nasal spray 
biggrin.gif

Cut it in the third of the length, fulfilled it with a tissue (to avoid it will squeeze), wrapped it around with a black duck tape and boom, done..

It is on the level of edges, so quite decent, not disrupting and I do not feel it while having them on..

Sound wise ? O-M-G ...You say basshead headphones, I say these...

Thank you again for posting iall information. :)

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #20,977 of 22,116
By any chance does anyone know where to buy a pair of Audeze Vegan Pads within Canada?

I may need to purchase a pair due to their larger ear opening (The angled velour HM5 pads I am using, while comfortable are sorta irritating my earlobes/back of my ears due to them being a bit confined)
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #20,978 of 22,116
Nov 20, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #20,980 of 22,116
Oh yea? I was always under the impression they only offered the brown lambskin variant (well from their site).

Maybe I should send an inquiry to Travis to see if he has/can get his hands on a pair for me.

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #20,981 of 22,116
Oh yea? I was always under the impression they only offered the brown lambskin variant (well from their site).

Maybe I should send an inquiry to Travis to see if he has/can get his hands on a pair for me.

I'm sure it can't hurt to ask, if they can get one I would think they could get either. I bought my focus pads a while a go from them and I'm quite certain they had them then.

On a side note how do you like your HE400's with your H10?

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #20,982 of 22,116
The H10 pairs real nicely with my modded HE-400's.

Originally I was using an NFB-15.32 to power them (since it does help tame down it's sharp treble to listenable levels) but was curious about the H10. Now I use the the NFB-15.32 as a DAC for the H10. The good thing about the H10 is that you can further op-amp swap to tailor it to your preference.

I did a little guide on how to do so recently.

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #20,983 of 22,116
Gustard H10 and modded 400s must be like a hammer.

That amp really seems to get a vice grip on planars....opamp rolling, another plus
o2smile.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #20,985 of 22,116

Well I will write it again (I did that in the schiit forum as well as here - at least I think I did 
smile.gif
).
I don't hear any mid recession on the HE-400 when my Asgard 2 is on high gain. When on low I can hear it (or straight out of my laptop/smartphone/tablet), most noticable with vocals (but also with instruments).
So having that lovely bass, forward mids and airy treble (my own ears don't go that high anymore so for me the treble isn't that much of an issue), I can hardly
see any other headphones doing anything remotely like the HE-400 (in this price range - though I haven't any high end ones).

There are a lot of headphones out there in the $250 to $350 price range that provide comparable but different experiences, e.g. HD-600, but I agree the HE-400 is a great value that works well with a wide range of genres. I still rock out with mine while working at my desk most days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back