**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 8, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #20,281 of 22,116
  Sonically mostly everything from Sufjan Stevens to Fleshgod Apocalypse. Generally lots of Sufjan, Kanye, RTJ, Interpol and Swans. Interestingly I find that the treble doesn't bother me at all on Sufjan's music and actually makes it sound really ethereal and pleasant. It only manifests in the vocals of some other music.

A few basic lessons of the HE-400s (where I think we all tend to agree and which hundreds of posts have proven overtime):

#1 the velour pads are the best upgrade to sound you can get right off the bat, and they are a mere $10. Modding your pleathers is also worthwhile, but I've switched back to velours and am reminded that they just have a much less congested sound overall and release more details.

#2 If you EQ at all, 8-11khz or so is the area to focus on. You do not lose much detail on all but on SOME recordings it brings things into a much better balance (I EQ by default because I am not a purist). To up the "fun" factor, a broad bass boost around 50 hz (2-5 dB) sounds great - more bass weight, without much loss in texture. In fact, these things EQ better than any speaker I've ever owned, so we are lucky that we have such an easy way to shape the sound.

#3 HE-400s will scale with better equipment. BUT, IMO, the DAC is a lot less important than a good power source (save your money and start by using the Mac). Seek amps that provide a good couple hundred mWs or more @50 ohms. Most of us here seem to go for amps in the 0.5 to 1 watt range. I plug the O2 because it is inexpensive and flat awesome sound quality and can play these louder than I can tolerate for long periods.

#4 HE-400s are unforgiving - they will reveal blemishes in the recordings you own. If the recordings are hot, clipped, generally just bad, so is the sound. You will hear some of this as clicks and pops that make you think the drivers are defective or dying - they likely are not. In some ways this is a good thing (you will learn about your collection and come to appreciate excellent recordings more). But unlike more "musical" (by which I mean forgiving, or sometimes "warm") headphones, these will definitely follow the "crap-in, crap-out" rule. IMO many persons forget that, in the signal chain, recordings are at the top, and no amount of money spent will change that.

#5 The HE-400s are usually a little "underwhelming" at first, but their high resolution, speed, and other sonic characteristics are partly a result of what planars are all about. Once you hook in to the sound, it becomes so obvious that it is truly a special and cool driver technology. Tour your collection and enjoy!

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #20,282 of 22,116
  #5 The HE-400s are usually a little "underwhelming" at first, but their high resolution, speed, and other sonic characteristics are partly a result of what planars are all about. Once you hook in to the sound, it becomes so obvious that it is truly a special and cool driver technology. Tour your collection and enjoy!

Haha, I didn't find them underwhelming at all, maybe because they are my first ortho. I've only ever used mid-fi dynamics before this can, first the Ultrasone PRO 900 and then the Philips X2 until last week, and I was blown away by how much "bigger", clearer and crisper the HE-400 sounds compared to them, even with a bad source. I don't think I can go back now.

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #20,283 of 22,116
  Haha, I didn't find them underwhelming at all, maybe because they are my first ortho. I've only ever used mid-fi dynamics before this can, first the Ultrasone PRO 900 and then the Philips X2 until last week, and I was blown away by how much "bigger", clearer and crisper the HE-400 sounds compared to them, even with a bad source. I don't think I can go back now.

I recall finding them a tad "thin" sounding when I first got them and was worried I had just wasted a LOT of hard earned money. But when a/bing against my other phones, they were clearly superior in some ways (Jazz recordings with a "live" sound made that crystal clear). After a couple weeks, they became magical and amazing. But when I finally got an amp, the sound firmed up a lot. I used to be very anti-headphone amp until I realized that most of our electronics simply don't great amps on-board (not enough power for higher end gear). Even my older Sennheisers sounded a lot better on an amp than off (though they don't need a lot of power to reach good volumes). The hard part is finding a good amp that isn't a total rip off.

Anyway, it is great that you are finding them great right off the bat! I suppose the transition from some phones is a lot easier than others.

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #20,284 of 22,116
@MrMateoHead, ran out of kudos today, but just wanted to post congrats on an extremely well-done summary above. hopefully this post also serves as a reminder for me to upvote your post.

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #20,285 of 22,116

Underwhelming? Everbody I showed my he400 (geek out 720DAC combo) was amazed, usually first track being Atom TM (flac, no utube).

With what kind of music did you find them underwhelmign?

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #20,286 of 22,116

Thanks for this. I have the X2 and wondered how much of a jump up the HE-400 would be, or if I should just save up for the 400i.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #20,287 of 22,116

Thanks for this. I have the X2 and wondered how much of a jump up the HE-400 would be, or if I should just save up for the 400i.

Depends on what you like about the X2, if its the bass then the HE-400, if its a better balanced sound signature then the HE-400i.  Just remember that these will require more power than the X2 to drive properly, ie; your phone will not get it done.  I have the X1 and heard an X2 but decided to stay with the X1, its more of a fun sound IMO, the X2 is more neutral tuned than the X1.

How much of a "jump up" is subjective, IMO its not a jump up but more of a side hop to a different sound signature/type.

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #20,288 of 22,116
Underwhelming? Everbody I showed my he400 (geek out 720DAC combo) was amazed, usually first track being Atom TM (flac, no utube).

With what kind of music did you find them underwhelmign?

What? You've got friends who appreciate Atom TM???

You my friend, are lucky! Lucky, lucky, lucky!!!

:beerchug:

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #20,289 of 22,116

With what kind of music did you find them underwhelming?

When I started that comment with the following: "A few basic lessons of the HE-400s (where I think we all tend to agree and which hundreds of posts have proven overtime)"

The "tend to agree" part was meant to leave room for you to not agree! So, I am glad you had a different experience. To answer your question, I found them at first underwhelming with basically everything I tried at first, with the exception of probably jazz and some acoustic music where I first locked in on some of the strengths. I had pretty high expectations for my first $400 pair of headphones and as a result I'll probably not delve into anything more expensive that I haven't heard first in the future. IMO great sound should be had for a whole lot less in the world of Headphones. Of course, I also champion this phone a lot so don't misunderstand.

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #20,291 of 22,116

I am accustomed to the best planar magnetic speakers on the planet and one of the best planar headphones on the planet, and I wasn't underwhelmed either...I was very impressed from the get-go. 

I'm really glad that Jan Meier suggested I go with the velour pads, cause it seems like that's something that may account for why ot sometimes sounds like I'm hearing a different headphone than what some others are hearing.

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #20,292 of 22,116

#1 the velour pads are the best upgrade to sound you can get right off the bat, and they are a mere $10. Modding your pleathers is also worthwhile, but I've switched back to velours and am reminded that they just have a much less congested sound overall and release more details.

#2 If you EQ at all, 8-11khz or so is the area to focus on. You do not lose much detail on all but on SOME recordings it brings things into a much better balance (I EQ by default because I am not a purist). To up the "fun" factor, a broad bass boost around 50 hz (2-5 dB) sounds great - more bass weight, without much loss in texture. In fact, these things EQ better than any speaker I've ever owned, so we are lucky that we have such an easy way to shape the sound.

#3 HE-400s will scale with better equipment. BUT, IMO, the DAC is a lot less important than a good power source (save your money and start by using the Mac). Seek amps that provide a good couple hundred mWs or more @50 ohms. Most of us here seem to go for amps in the 0.5 to 1 watt range. I plug the O2 because it is inexpensive and flat awesome sound quality and can play these louder than I can tolerate for long periods.

#4 HE-400s are unforgiving - they will reveal blemishes in the recordings you own. If the recordings are hot, clipped, generally just bad, so is the sound. You will hear some of this as clicks and pops that make you think the drivers are defective or dying - they likely are not. In some ways this is a good thing (you will learn about your collection and come to appreciate excellent recordings more). But unlike more "musical" (by which I mean forgiving, or sometimes "warm") headphones, these will definitely follow the "crap-in, crap-out" rule. IMO many persons forget that, in the signal chain, recordings are at the top, and no amount of money spent will change that.

I am accustomed to the best planar magnetic speakers on the planet and one of the best planar headphones on the planet, and I wasn't underwhelmed either...I was very impressed from the get-go. 

I'm really glad that Jan Meier suggested I go with the velour pads, cause it seems like that's something that may account for why ot sometimes sounds like I'm hearing a different headphone than what some others are hearing.

while i wouldn't say i was underwhelmed at first, i was very impressed, they have gotten better sounding to me me over time
i too have had some of the best planars on the planet , and i enjoy my 400 immensely !

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #20,293 of 22,116
Isn't there any mod that will control the leaky treble, like the Anaxilus mod on the HD800?

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #20,294 of 22,116
After struggling with the penetrating treble in the HE400 for the last few months, I have decided to EQ it. It's had more than enough time to burn in and the treble is still a razor blade over shadowing the bass planars are capable of.

I have created a profile for EQ APO that zeros out the sound of the HE400's leading to a much flatter and more analytical sound profile. There are no boosts, only cuts. I created the sound profile by using Sinegen to sweep up and down the frequency band, cutting any sudden peaks until the sound is more or less uniform with no significant peaks or dips, yet still a fun sound. IE I didn't EQ them into a perfectly flat, perfectly boring, reference. I just tucked back the treble a bit so that the other frequencies have a chance to shine. The biggest cut, and by far the worst offender is 7khz. In spite of the frequency charts showing a serious mountain at 14,000hz, that is not where the treble bites your head off because it's so high up most people don't really hear it anyway. Cutting 7500hz by nearly 11db brings the peak inline with reference level but still doesn't completely remove it. The other serious peak was between 2 and 3.5khz and while not as striking as the 7khz peak, still required about 8db cut and a wider Q.

Please keep in mind that my ear is not going to be the same as your ear, and my pads are not going to sound the same as your pads. This curve is conceptual, to my ear, this resulted in a flatter sound. Your mileage may vary.

Filter Settings file
Room EQ V5.01
Dated: 29.02.2012 20:04:50
Notes:Hifiman 400   q of 2.8 is 1/2 octave  q of 1 is 1 1/3 octave
Equaliser: Generic
No measurement
Filter  1: ON  PK       Fc    20.0 Hz     Gain   0.0 dB  Q  10.00
Filter  2: ON  PK       Fc    30.0 Hz     Gain   0.0 dB  Q  10.00
Filter  3: ON  PK       Fc    40.0 Hz     Gain   0.0 dB  Q  10.00   
Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc    50.0 Hz     Gain   0.0 dB  Q  10.00   
Filter  5: ON  PK       Fc    900.0 Hz    Gain  -2.0 dB  Q  10.00  
Filter  6: ON  PK       Fc    2400.0 Hz   Gain  -8.0 dB  Q   8.00  
Filter  7: ON  PK       Fc    3200.0 Hz   Gain  -7.0 dB  Q   9.00  
Filter  8: ON  PK       Fc    4400.0 Hz   Gain  -3.0 dB  Q  10.00
Filter  9: ON  PK       Fc    5800.0 Hz   Gain  -4.0 dB  Q  10.00   
Filter 10: ON  PK       Fc    6600.0 Hz   Gain  -4.0 dB  Q  10.00   
Filter 11: ON  PK       Fc    7500.0 Hz   Gain -11.0 dB  Q   9.00   
Filter 12: OFF PK       Fc    8000.0 Hz   Gain   0.0 dB  Q  10.00    
Filter 13: OFF PK       Fc    9000.0 Hz   Gain   0.0 dB  Q  10.00
Filter 14: ON  PK       Fc    10500.0 Hz  Gain  -6.0 dB  Q  10.00   
Filter 15: OFF PK       Fc    11000.0 Hz  Gain   0.0 dB  Q  10.00  
Filter 16: OFF PK       Fc    12000.0 Hz  Gain   0.0 dB  Q  10.00   
Filter 17: OFF PK       Fc    13000.0 Hz  Gain   0.0 dB  Q  10.00   
Filter 18: OFF PK       Fc    14000.0 Hz  Gain   0.0 dB  Q  10.00   
Filter 19: OFF PK       Fc    15000.0 Hz  Gain   0.0 dB  Q  10.00
Filter 20: OFF PK       Fc    18000.0 Hz  Gain   0.0 dB  Q  10.00   

After listening to the new EQ curve for a few hours I can honestly say that it improves the sound substantially. Because the treble is no longer cutting your ears off, the bass comes out and the overall sound is warmer, even though bass has not been touched. The ultra highs above 10,000hz also come out clearer and so the treble becomes even more detailed and sweeter. The midrange and vocals are a little more subdued, if it's too much for you, you can make smaller cuts at 2500-3200hz.

Even with the deep gain cuts, the sound is very analytical without being boring, the clarity of the audio has improved substantially, and I can actually appreciate the bass now. I can also turn my Lyr 2 up over 50% volume without my eyes melting. It actually sounds GOOD now at high volume and doesn't scratch my brain.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #20,295 of 22,116
Well guys, here I was riding a high of satisfaction with my HE-400s...thinking that my concerns about them were unfounded, and finally opening up to the possibility of another HifiMan headphone...but it happened...

I hate to say I told you so, especially when I am saying it to myself...but, self...I told you so. 

The L driver seems to have just gone *poof*. I was watching an episode of Bloodline when all of a sudden the L cup starting cutting in and out. I took off the headphones, reattached the cable, and it was all gone. I then switched the cable to see if the outage followed, but unfortunately it didn't. It's definitely the L driver

I sure hope HifiMan has a US repair center, otherwise the shipping cost is going to almost make a warranty repair cost prohibitive. 

mad.gif
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back