**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 1, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #20,251 of 22,116
I'm doing something tonight I never thought I'd do. My HD650's and HE400's sit next to my head station, un-used so that i may listen to some cheap chinese IEM's. I just got the DUNU 1000's and I got to say, they rock pretty frigging hard. It's so close to 650/400 level audio, I think it's going to take me awhile to pick out the flaws. So far the only thing is an annoying 8khz peak that I toned down with a 4db EQ cut. First IEM's I've ever used with a soundstage, which is amazing. I love technology!

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #20,252 of 22,116
  I'm doing something tonight I never thought I'd do. My HD650's and HE400's sit next to my head station, un-used so that i may listen to some cheap chinese IEM's. I just got the DUNU 1000's and I got to say, they rock pretty frigging hard. It's so close to 650/400 level audio, I think it's going to take me awhile to pick out the flaws. So far the only thing is an annoying 8khz peak that I toned down with a 4db EQ cut. First IEM's I've ever used with a soundstage, which is amazing. I love technology!

That's funny....I just ordered some Dunu Titans the other day. Supposedly this company makes some killer IEMs. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #20,253 of 22,116

The screwed up midrange is mostly due to pleather phase doubling. It unevens the sound signature. It's not a simple EQ fix, because the phase is off. The focus pads don't have that problem and neither do the velours.

The 12khz bump is something you will see on almost every headphone, and indeed almost every microphone. I do a lot of professional audio recording for ****s and giggles and even my studio condenser microphones like the Rode NT1a have a 10khz hump. It's there in most headphones and most microphones because it makes music kind of pop in a good way. The problem is the recording already has the emphasis, and the playback through a headphone which also emphasizes it doesn't help. This is one of the things people mean when they say the 400's reveal flaws in the recording. If the guy who mastered the track used tricks like 10khz boosting and lots of multiband compression, it's going to scratch your eardrums out on the 400's.

In general, ignore the measured and reported frequency response of a headphone. Your ears, your environment, your gear, all make subtle differences in perceived loudness. Your ears don't weigh every frequency of sound the same. We are insensitive to some frequencies, and over sensitive to others.

A very good trick to use for that perfect headphone sound, is to use a sine wave sweeper program like Sinegen and spend a little time sweeping the frequency up and down, listening for perceived bumps or dips. Write down the frequency, and whether it was too loud, or too quiet, then you will know how to configure an equalizer to flatten it out a bit. The best part is even if you have weird shaped ear drums, or have partial deafness, it doesn't matter, it calibrates a frequency response TO YOUR HEAD. Works really well especially with something like Equalizer APO.

I find that its still there with the velour pads. Reduced, but very very slightly. Plus it doesn't seal very good on my ears. This is why I'm asking for other mods.

Maybe there is a specific type of thin textile material that specifically targets the 9-12khz range. If there is, I'd like to know. Its quite easy to put that kind of cloth on the pad, or on the plastic housing of the drivers.

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #20,255 of 22,116
  The Titans are pretty incredible, remind me a bit of the 400 in some ways. Really nice bass, good soundstage, and a slightly recessed midrange.

Amost everything I've read about them has been positive...I hope I enjoy them as much as you guys! 

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #20,256 of 22,116
  I find that its still there with the velour pads. Reduced, but very very slightly. Plus it doesn't seal very good on my ears. This is why I'm asking for other mods.

I agree, and the velours are nowhere near soft enough for a good seal on my head. If you find a better solution keep us posted! For now my pair is regulated to back-row due to those issues and the arrival of my LCD's. I have hopes for them, and will keep them for a bit in case, but right now they are out-classed in every way partly due to those issues of the treble and wonky midrange.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #20,257 of 22,116
I agree, and the velours are nowhere near soft enough for a good seal on my head. If you find a better solution keep us posted! For now my pair is regulated to back-row due to those issues and the arrival of my LCD's. I have hopes for them, and will keep them for a bit in case, but right now they are out-classed in every way partly due to those issues of the treble and wonky midrange.

I will. Mine is relegated as a sub too behind the PSB M4U 1. But the HE400's bass and resolution is great if those peaks are addressed.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #20,258 of 22,116
I will. Mine is relegated as a sub too behind the PSB M4U 1. But the HE400's bass and resolution is great if those peaks are addressed.

Yep. I really like the separation and PRaT with these cans too. So close to being amazing....

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #20,259 of 22,116
So I did it.

Only having my HE400 for a couple of months, I slipped further into the rabbit hole.

My Schiit M&Mü stack arrived on Tuesday.

Decided my Onkyo reciever wasn't the greatest DAC+AMP stage for bringing out the true sound of my 400.

I love what a little bit of power and control can do. Crisp, punchy bass. Amazing detail and separation. And more power than I'll ever need.

Thoroughly enjoying my set up.

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #20,260 of 22,116
  Yep. I really like the separation and PRaT with these cans too. So close to being amazing....

Don't know why, but my HE400 sounds great with my home theater receiver. Maybe the peaky treble is a blessing in disguise for home theater use.

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #20,261 of 22,116
I have a little Outlaw Audio HT pre/pro that has a headphone jack on it...I recently updated the firmware so I've been putting the jack through its paces to see what it can do...I had the same reaction you did...sounds pretty damn good with the HE-400s. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #20,262 of 22,116
These being my first real "bright" headphones, I wasn't expecting the treble spike to be so bad, but it's vicious. My girlfriend tried them out and listened to Tessellate by Alt-J and the tambourine was painful for her. On the other hand, EQ makes the upper range disappointingly dull. Kind of at a loss here.

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #20,263 of 22,116
  These being my first real "bright" headphones, I wasn't expecting the treble spike to be so bad, but it's vicious. My girlfriend tried them out and listened to Tessellate by Alt-J and the tambourine was painful for her. On the other hand, EQ makes the upper range disappointingly dull. Kind of at a loss here.

Which ear pads are you using?  If the stock pads, many have said that changing the pads on the HE-400 makes a big different in the sound, my self included.  I ordered the HIFIMAN velour ones when I ordered my HE-400.  There are some who used Audeze pad and others, there was much discussion on the pads a few weeks back on this thread so that might be a good place to start.

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #20,264 of 22,116

Which ear pads are you using?  If the stock pads, many have said that changing the pads on the HE-400 makes a big different in the sound, my self included.  I ordered the HIFIMAN velour ones when I ordered my HE-400.  There are some who used Audeze pad and others, there was much discussion on the pads a few weeks back on this thread so that might be a good place to start.

Stock ones. I tried the pleather ones but they were super disappointing because they made the sound very distant and completely lacking in impact. (Maybe I put them on wrong?) Otherwise someone suggested to me to try the Focuspads, which should be arriving sometime next week. Any pads are gonna take awhile to get though.

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #20,265 of 22,116
  Stock ones. I tried the pleather ones but they were super disappointing because they made the sound very distant and completely lacking in impact. (Maybe I put them on wrong?) Otherwise someone suggested to me to try the Focuspads, which should be arriving sometime next week. Any pads are gonna take awhile to get though.

So it sounds like you're using the velours which may be as good as it gets. That's kinda the bummer about these cans. I'm not sure there's any magic bullet but to start EQ'ing, but I've found that kills part of the good side of the HE-400;s to get rid of the bad. Hope the Focuspads help, but I'm doubtful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back