**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 2, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #19,336 of 22,116
Just be prepared to not like them very much out of your computer. You might like them just fine but I found them to need some decent power to sound as good as they will sound. I ended up not being a fan of them but that's just a personal preference thing, not a bad headphone thing. My Shiit Magni 2 gave them loads of power. There's some other suggestions within the last 15-20 pages as well that might work.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #19,337 of 22,116
  Hey all, just picked these up! Should be here by Thursday. I was temporarily going to only use my PC to power these, but I know that is only a short term solution. My question: Are there any amps you recommend to power these around or under 150 USD? I might be able to stretch by about 25-50 dollars. Thanks.

when i started out with these, I choose the budget Bravo V3 hybrid tube amp b/c I thought tubes were cool. Bravo as a whole line of sub-$150 entry-level hybrid tube amps if that is something you are interested in! :)

The Schiit Magni and O2 amp are probably the two most popularly sub-$150 entry-level ss desktop amplifiers recommended around here.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #19,338 of 22,116
  Just be prepared to not like them very much out of your computer. You might like them just fine but I found them to need some decent power to sound as good as they will sound. I ended up not being a fan of them but that's just a personal preference thing, not a bad headphone thing. My Shiit Magni 2 gave them loads of power. There's some other suggestions within the last 15-20 pages as well that might work.

Thanks, I try not to have unrealistic expectations because I know my PC won't be able to power them very well. I've been looking at the Audioengine D1, and might end up going with that.

when i started out with these, I choose the budget Bravo V3 hybrid tube amp b/c I thought tubes were cool. Bravo as a whole line of sub-$150 entry-level hybrid tube amps if that is something you are interested in! :)

The Schiit Magni and O2 amp are probably the two most popularly sub-$150 entry-level ss desktop amplifiers recommended around here.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll take a look and let you know what I end up getting.

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #19,340 of 22,116
Anyone have problem with stock cable on he-400 coming loose persistently-fix?

pretwist the cable the opposite way (left turn 1.5 turns I think), so when you turn the cable to screw in their connectors, the cable ends up straight without any twisting stress. not if i described this well. you are going to twist the cable prior to screwing it on in the opposite direction, so the cable will be straight.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #19,341 of 22,116
  Anyone have problem with stock cable on he-400 coming loose persistently-fix?

I did till I got a 6mm open end wrench and gently tightened it. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #19,343 of 22,116
  Still got my HE-400s and I love them, the sound is so smooth! Now paired with the Schiit Fulla these babies rock
deadhorse.gif

Have you tried this? I just stumbled on it and it is AWESOME on the HE-400. Beware! It's Deep House.
http://www.amazon.com/Okay/dp/B00PRNVZPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423016229&sr=8-1&keywords=shiba+san+okay

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #19,346 of 22,116
Anyone interested/considering selling their HE-400, please PM me. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #19,348 of 22,116

I now have a silly grin plastered on my face. Thanks!

You are welcome. It's a really fun song.

For others that don't have it, the lyrics are something like thise:

"OKAY! eh.. uh.. uh.. uh.. Yeah! Aaa.. aaA.. Aaa.. aaA.. Aaa.. aaA.. Aaa.. aaA.. Aaa.. aaA.. Aaa.. aaA.. Aaa.. aaA.. Aaa.. aaA.. Aaa.. aaA.. Aaa.. aaA.. Yeah! OKAY!.."

Silly but fun with great beats.

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back