**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 29, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #19,306 of 22,116
They are much smaller than I expected. I guess the amount of power the Magni puts out I was thinking it would be of decent size. Honestly kinda disappointed. I was hoping for a nice moderate sized box with some heft. Heck, if you could power it with batteries, it would be a good portable amp. But I guess it's not the exterior that matters. It does sound pretty darn good and packs a punch for sure. 

Can't wait to see some of your initial impressions.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #19,307 of 22,116
They are much smaller than I expected. I guess the amount of power the Magni puts out I was thinking it would be of decent size. Honestly kinda disappointed. I was hoping for a nice moderate sized box with some heft. Heck, if you could power it with batteries, it would be a good portable amp. But I guess it's not the exterior that matters. It does sound pretty darn good and packs a punch for sure. 

Can't wait to see some of your initial impressions.

Those will probably come tomorrow. Really tired tonight.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #19,308 of 22,116
BTW, I received my replacement Fulla and I've been comparing it to my SMSL SD793 II that I received last week. I think I've found a new budget amp/dac. This thing has loads more power and much better detail than the fulla. Night and day really with the HE-400s.

So the SMSL SD793 pairs well with the HE-400?  Currently, I'm using an e17 with mine, but as mentioned above, I'm thinking about an upgrade that's more geared to a desktop setup.  The SD793 has the advantage of preamp outs, too, which would allow me to bypass the DAC in my Creative X-fi Platinum that's currently pushing to my stereo amp and desktop speakers (1970s era Kenwood receiver and Energy RC-10).  

I bought an SMSL Q5 for my bedroom, and I've been really impressed with it so far, both as a DAC and as an amp for my speakers.  Zeos over on Reddit had positive tings to say about the SD793, might just go for it at that price at send the e17 to my work setup.

Thanks to everyone who provide recs for headphone stands. 

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #19,310 of 22,116
Just remember not to blast your ears out too hard!
o2smile.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #19,311 of 22,116
Hi Ho everyone. Spent most of the day listening since I got my Schiit Stack in last night. Initial impressions: there is so much more detail there now. So that's where it was hiding. Added a little EQ at the top to tame the harsh treble. Mids also seemed to have come out to play. Overall I think I like the HE-400's with the stack. Just wish they were more comfy.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #19,312 of 22,116
  Hi Ho everyone. Spent most of the day listening since I got my Schiit Stack in last night. Initial impressions: there is so much more detail there now. So that's where it was hiding. Added a little EQ at the top to tame the harsh treble. Mids also seemed to have come out to play. Overall I think I like the HE-400's with the stack. Just wish they were more comfy.

What was your setup before adding the stack?

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #19,313 of 22,116

Are you finding that the HE400 has strengths/weaknesses on different genres or that it's generally an all-arounder?

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #19,315 of 22,116
  Are you finding that the HE400 has strengths/weaknesses on different genres or that it's generally an all-arounder?

You weren't asking me, but..

I find that the HE-400 is my goto for most genres. However, I, also, use a mod'd T50RP for vocals or just for a change.

Forgive me if you already know this but look at the focus and focus-a pads. Amazing comfort. I use the generic headband pad from amazon (USA). I can get you the links if you need them.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #19,316 of 22,116
  Forgive me if you already know this but look at the focus and focus-a pads. Amazing comfort. I use the generic headband pad from amazon (USA). I can get you the links if you need them.

A link to the headband pad would be great.  The focus-a pads are tempting but a bit pricey, would rather spend the money on an amp/DAC upgrade.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #19,317 of 22,116
  A link to the headband pad would be great.  The focus-a pads are tempting but a bit pricey, would rather spend the money on an amp/DAC upgrade.

These are the ones I bought but they were $17 but I felt they were expensive at that price. These turkeys want $23.
http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Leatherette-Universal-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic/dp/B00862522A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422664841&sr=8-2&keywords=headband+pad

These look to be the exact some ones but repackaged; $16.50.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphones-Replacement-Headband-Cushion/dp/B00OVWQIT0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1422664841&sr=8-7&keywords=headband+pad

I would buy the cheaper one. It's on prime and worse case you have to pay shipping back to Amazon.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #19,318 of 22,116

they are pricey, but if you have any comfort issues with the he400, they totally resolve them! worth it imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back