**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 3, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #18,166 of 22,116
I think for me the bass of the lcd2 felt overhyped. Already having the he400 and hd700, for me I was confidential I'd never really need the lcd2.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #18,167 of 22,116
I actually just went through your 400 vs D2000 and 560 vs LCDX vs PM1 reviews and there was a huge wealth of information there to take in and digest so I wanted to throw a belated thank you your way (also @Mad Lust Envy for his Headphone Gaming Guide which was what made me buy my Q701s for Counter Strike goodness).

That being said, I suppose the way you describe the 560 is exactly what I'm looking for in a pair of cans - I definitely welcome a more neutral sound pallet on which to build, at least as far as headphones go, and as long as the bass hit and mid-range character of the HE-400 is still there, but as you said, without the need for additional EQ in the treble which is my primary concern right now, the 560 is looking like it might be the next step. Given my inquisitive nature sound-wise, I'm probably going to pick up a pair of LCD2s anyway, just to give them a go, and seeing as the market for them seems to be relatively good, I can always flip them. I guess part of it is me wanting to experience the Audeze house sound for myself, especially given I'm going to have what many seem to tout as an excellent amp to pair with Hifiman or Audeze offerings. 

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #18,168 of 22,116
  When I had my HE-400 I EQ'd its treble down so it never was much of a problem.  From my experience as a whole with Audeze, I just think their headphones are really overrated in general.  Ironic considering I'll be a new owner of an LCD-3 come tomorrow.  But I wanted to hear the LCD-3 to see the best Audeze had to offer before I totally write that company off.

love to see a comparison review of the lcd-3 vs the he-560s :)

@Mad Lust Envy , I figured that, and I suppose my original question should really have been "Is the LCD2 sound worth investigating when I'm thoroughly enjoying the HE-400" given my brief research into the two, and me noting that the LCD2 was described as darker with "amazing" bass impact (which was an immediate selling point for me given I immediately identified the 400 as what I can only describe as "hella-bright").

@TMRaven , Interesting, you may have just saved me 600$ - 1200$ - we'll see I guess? I suppose the natural question here would be: you have the HE-560s, where do they fit in the equation? Radical departure from the 400? I may just investigate the LCD-X, but as you said, the cost of entry is the main prohibitive factor right now, along with the feeling that I can now safely explore some new territory in the dynamic world knowing that I have my near ideal "fun" headphones to reference in the form of the HE-400s

Without derailing the thread further, I have to say the one thing I enjoy the most about the HE-400 in my brief time with them is just the texture of a lot of mid-range content is vastly more exciting - just overall warmer, more alive than my 701s (I mean I'm not surprised but damn are they just more fun to listen to). Seems the AKGs are going to forever be stuck as mixdown cans (and given how little mixing I do lately, they'll be collecting dust a while). 

the he-560 has a different sound sig compared to the he-400. It is a lot more neutral, so if you are looking for "fun factor"/bass, there are probably better options to go for. The HE-560 are more for people who want a reference neutral pair of headphones. I've gotten used to its bass, but initially I was a underwhelmed by the he-560's bass jumping directly from the he-400. Though after I got my Lyr 2, I think that the he560's bass is close enough to the he-400 that I don't bother switching over to the he-400 for my edm tracks anymore.

for someone who likes bass, I think the high-end well-reviewed options would be like the closed dynamic Ultrasone Sig DJ/Pro, open dynamic Fostex TH600/900, and Audeze LCD-2/LCD-X/LCD-XC. The Oppo PM1 sounds like it should have more bass impact compared to the HE-560 from reviews. At the same price of the he-400, I think the Phillips X1/X2 have been compared to the HE-400 in terms of sound sig.

Of course, moving up the chain, you always get diminishing returns. The HE-400i is a more balanced pair of headphones compared to the HE-400, so if you are just looking to get an orthodynamic pair of headphones that do not have the treble issues of the HE-400 that is probably the cheapest upgrade. Different sound sig though.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #18,170 of 22,116
The TH600 has been thrown my way multiple times this week as a suggestion, and seeing as I'm definitely looking for "bass impact" when it comes to "fun" headphones, I'm seriously considering seeking some out. I am first and foremost excited to see what the Lyr brings to the HE-400 sound when I get it later today (the fact that its already "today" means I should probably be sleeping before work 
tongue.gif
 )

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #18,171 of 22,116
  Tbh I think the PM1's bass sounds flaccid in comparison to the 560.  It has louder mid-bass for sure, but the bass isn't as authoritative as the 560.

I think it comes down to preference. It seems that most reviewers agree that the Oppo PM1 has a warmer and smoother sound sig than the HE-560, while the HE-560 has better treble detail and sound stage. There appears to be more bass quantity on the PM1s with its smoother sound but the HE-560 is usually considered to be more detailed, resolving, and neutral of the two. That just seems like the general vibe I get, though I never had the pleasure of trying the PM1.

Don't think you can really go wrong with either headphone. Seems to me like Oppo is going for nicest build quality and solid sound at a premium price while Hifiman looks to go best sound for lowest price.

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #18,172 of 22,116
  love to see a comparison review of the lcd-3 vs the he-560s :)

I just got the LCD3 in.  At first it was a little laid back in the upper midrange, but that problem soon alleviated itself as I grew used to its signature within a matter of seconds.  Its upper midrange has far more bite than the LCD-X.  It also sounds remotely like how I remember the LCD2 to sound, only less artificial and with better treble sparkle.

In short this is my favorite audeze so far, and far more neutral than the LCD-X in my eyes.  I'll try to compare it some more to 560 eventually.

Oct 3, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #18,173 of 22,116
  I am getting really upset with these headphones. While they worked they were great and I loved them. The original cable I had from a little over a month ago broke within the first two weeks(connector piece fell apart). Then I decided to order a new one (60$) and it worked well again for a few days. Now this week the headset itself fell apart I used some loctite glue to put it back together but that only worked for about a day. This is really frustrating and the return period on amazon is over. What should I do now ? Heres a picture of where the headphones came apart. They really are in great shape it just looks bad because of the glue. Should I try to glue them again? Would contacting hifiman do anything ? They were bought brand new on amazon August 8th.

Ok guys update ...after some back and forth with hifiman and finding my warranty card they finally sent me a replacement headband 

anyone know what size screwdriver will unscrew the screws on the side that connect to the headband ? nothing I have works 

Oct 3, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #18,174 of 22,116
Mine appear to be fairly run-of-the-mill flathead screws, are yours different?

I also wanted to say that I got my Lyr today, and thus far I'm on the rocks about it when combined with the HE-400 - On one hand, there is DEFINITELY more bass than the DAC1's HPA2 puts out on the 400s, and the impact is, even to my untrained ears, more noticeable. However, the upper bass / low mids on the Lyr are a little tubby in comparison to the DAC1, and while I love the added warmth to the overall picture, it feels like some of the microscopic texture that the DAC1 excels at are now washed over by the tube sound. Hopefully I'll have a tangible improvement with one of the two sets of NOS tubes I ordered - primarily looking to gain back some detailing while retaining the now simply delightful bass. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #18,175 of 22,116
These EQ settings makes the he-400 sound so smooth like the hd650, but with the awesome bass of the he-400. These settings works with the velour pads. The focus pads and pleather ones doesn't work with these settings.

Did Jerg come up with this EQ for his treble fix?

7 kHz   (-2dB)
10kHz  (-5dB)
14kHz  (-7dB)
20kHz  (-3dB)

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #18,176 of 22,116
Everything after like 14khz is so high in pitch, there isn't any fatigue there, even with explosive output at that level, so i dont see why people would even bother adjusting so high up, like 20khz. Though I can only hear up to 18khz at the most, with volume levels so high, you'd never hear it under normal listening conditions.

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #18,178 of 22,116
  It's odd because those frequencies I mentioned all make the sound much easier on the ears to listen to.

Do you have any better EQ settings to share? 

Search the images top right for EQ settings screenshots in this massive thread...

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #18,179 of 22,116
Basically, if you are fatigued by the treble, attack the 7-10kHz area the most. If you drop it by a lot, just make sure to have the adjacent bars slightly lowered so that you end up with a smoother response instead of a huge cut at one frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back