**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #18,046 of 22,116
Ya. I will use the Aune T1 for my Desktop but I just wondered if I can pair with tube amp as this Aune T1 using USB.

I am looking for smooth clear sound profile. Bass is nice as long as it is not too strong. I love listening to Norah Jones, Jheena Lo and etc

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #18,047 of 22,116
Ya. I will use the Aune T1 for my Desktop but I just wondered if I can pair with tube amp as this Aune T1 using USB.

I am looking for smooth clear sound profile. Bass is nice as long as it is not too strong. I love listening to Norah Jones, Jheena Lo and etc

The t1 is actually a tube-powered DAC + solid state amp. If you want to use its tube DAC, there is no need to use the ibasso as a source, just use your computer. I don't think its solid state amp would be that significantly different than the solid state amp in the ibasso, so really no reason for that pairing. For actual tube amps in your budget price level, I would suggest looking at the bravo line-up: bravo v2, v3, ocean.

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #18,048 of 22,116
Bravo? I need to check it out. any link should I look into?

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #18,049 of 22,116
Bravo? I need to check it out. any link should I look into?

lol google is your friend

http://www.bravoaudio.com/product.html

http://headfonics.com/2012/01/bravo-audio-headphone-amp-series-part-1-the-v1-2/
http://headfonics.com/2012/01/bravo-audio-headphone-amp-series-part-2-the-v3-ocean/

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #18,050 of 22,116
  I have to say that I've never really been someone who believed in the whole "burn in" time with headphones. After having the HE-400 now for about 2 weeks I have to say that to my ears I can hear a clear difference in the sound now as opposed to fresh out of the box.

I've been listening to them for at least an hour or two a day, some days up to 5 hours. I don't think I'm near the 150 hour recommendation from HiFiMAN but I already hear a positive difference in the sound. The bass is more impactful and overall the "fullness" of the music is more noticeable.

Also, the velours have gotten a lot softer and more comfortable having used them exclusively. I haven't used any mods really, but I did trim around the inside of the velour pads so the holes in the plastic rings are fully exposed. Not sure if this really made a difference, but I'm very satisfied with these headphones.

Exactly what happened to me today, its been 2 weeks too for me, and omg I am getting chills all over, the imaging and details pretty much on a new level, and the bass, I swear the drums were not this good when I first listen to them, the vocals are much detailed now that it strike me so realistic some time. Also I suddenly notice the treble u people have been talking about, still no problem to me, sure its prominent, but I dont find it offensive at all, its natural to me.

To that guy who said orthos need time, now I believe you.

And no I dont think this is a brain burn in, it really sounds different.

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #18,051 of 22,116
  Exactly what happened to me today, its been 2 weeks too for me, and omg I am getting chills all over, the imaging and details pretty much on a new level, and the bass, I swear the drums were not this good when I first listen to them, the vocals are much detailed now that it strike me so realistic some time. Also I suddenly notice the treble u people have been talking about, still no problem to me, sure its prominent, but I dont find it offensive at all, its natural to me.

To that guy who said orthos need time, now I believe you.

And no I dont think this is a brain burn in, it really sounds different.

I am glad the sound transformed for you - Lol.

Rock on!

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #18,052 of 22,116
Question:

Does anyone has custom made your HE-400 cable? If yes, can you spot any difference in between factory cable and your custom cable?

I had a 10ft factory cable and I found it is annoying therefore I ordered a custom made 5ft cable and I can't spot any difference at all. Sounds the same to me but I am happy that I can walk freely with 5ft cable. Cost me $45 included 2-day shipping.

I saw some cable on eBay for about $70-720.00. Is a cable really can make a big improvement. I did a blind test on myself and I really can spot a different at all.

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #18,053 of 22,116
From what I read majority of people can't hear the difference, however there are people who certain that they hear it, for me, I don't really care, as long as the cable serve its purpose it's fine for me. Oh I forgot there is a headphone that benefit from recabling, its Phillips Fidelio x1, there's stuff going on about its stock cable that make the sound muffled. That's from what I read.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #18,054 of 22,116
Question:

Does anyone has custom made your HE-400 cable? If yes, can you spot any difference in between factory cable and your custom cable?

I had a 10ft factory cable and I found it is annoying therefore I ordered a custom made 5ft cable and I can't spot any difference at all. Sounds the same to me but I am happy that I can walk freely with 5ft cable. Cost me $45 included 2-day shipping.

I saw some cable on eBay for about $70-720.00. Is a cable really can make a big improvement. I did a blind test on myself and I really can spot a different at all.

regardless of whether there is a sound difference from different cables (note: I do not believe cables make any difference in sound quality)... even if there are any sonic changes from more expensive cables, such a difference would be so subtle/insignificant, it is hardly worth the sticker price of the cable. Much more worth it just to jump the a higher tier of headphones rather than spend that money on cables.

Now sure, if you have the $5,000 Abyss paired with a super luxury amps & dac, then maybe it may be worth it for you to upgrade your cables since your income is obviously not a factor. However, it makes no sense to spend 30%-100%+ of your headphone price on cables that may possibly cause a 1-2% change in sound.

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #18,055 of 22,116
I had compare the morrow cable MA1 interconnect with 4 other cables in the same price range, not one sounded the same and the Morrow was the better by a great margin...For the price of 30 dollars incredible improvement....i trust my ears not pricing nor ideological opinions. try by yourself ....Best regards

By the way i purchased the stock cable of the he 500 for my He 400 and there was a difference that pleased my taste....

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #18,056 of 22,116
Yeah I totally agree with you. Big bucks cable for just 1-2% improvement is a no no for me.
I rather spend the money on a decent tube amp or even upgrade to the tube that I like.

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #18,057 of 22,116
I am getting really upset with these headphones. While they worked they were great and I loved them. The original cable I had from a little over a month ago broke within the first two weeks(connector piece fell apart). Then I decided to order a new one (60$) and it worked well again for a few days. Now this week the headset itself fell apart I used some loctite glue to put it back together but that only worked for about a day. This is really frustrating and the return period on amazon is over. What should I do now ? Heres a picture of where the headphones came apart. They really are in great shape it just looks bad because of the glue. Should I try to glue them again? Would contacting hifiman do anything ? They were bought brand new on amazon August 8th.

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #18,059 of 22,116
Uh oh...mine are also beginning to separate (slightly) from the headband in the same spot (left side). :frowning2:

They also came misaligned out of the box. Not impressed with build quality at all, and those pictures now have me even more worried. I'll be keeping an eye on the gap for sure.

Purchased around the same time as you.

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #18,060 of 22,116
wow, how could that happen so fast to your headphones. Mine are built like a tank, though I also treat them like a newborn. No issues here with things breaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back