**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 29, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #17,386 of 22,116
Has anyone tried the silver replacement cables from China. I was wondering if they improve the sound from the original cable.
Are there any reasonably priced cables that help with the sibilance?

There are faster easier ways to deal with 400's "issues". Check out post 1 and EQ settings in the thread.

May 29, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #17,388 of 22,116
Really not comfortable @@@@@@@@

Do you mean the clamp, the weight or the pads? 

*The clamp is easily adjusted by carefully bending/reshaping the metal headband. 

*The weight is something that most people get used to after a few days (if I can do it anyone can)

*Some people find the velour pads itchy. If so, then switch to the pleather. 

Matt

May 29, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #17,390 of 22,116
In terms of them not being neutral.

[b]MrMateoHead[/b],

Maybe it depends on the amplification?
Although the impedance of HE-400 is constant, the amplifier which emphasizes the treble could help, don't you think so?

Would you call then HD650 more neutral-sounding headphones?

There are faster easier ways to deal with 400's "issues". Check out post 1 and EQ settings in the thread.

Lohb,

Could you give some advice to people using CDP as their source on the "ways to deal with 400's "issues""?
(When applying EQ is not possible)

May 29, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #17,393 of 22,116

[b]MrMateoHead[/b],

Maybe it depends on the amplification?
Although the impedance of HE-400 is constant, the amplifier which emphasizes the treble could help, don't you think so?

Would you call then HD650 more neutral-sounding headphones?

Lohb,

Could you give some advice to people using CDP as their source on the "ways to deal with 400's "issues""?
(When applying EQ is not possible)

In your set-up, it comes down to CBA....cost benefits analysis....there is a thing I call "The box" it is a small 2 inch by one inch or so hardware EQ that was open sourced on another forum which is basically like a small hardware equivalent of a parametric equalisers but then you have to weigh up the total cost vs just buying a used pair of 500's and be done with it.It never really gained traction as I have only seen one guy pairing it to lower end Superlux on this forum...the designer says he made it because he always felt parametric EQ introduced artifacts into the background.
There are guys who build "The box" but because they are one-off made for your cans specific sound curve problems, it might be $80+ postage.

P.S Anyone looking to take their 400's the low-powered speaker amp route (25-40 watts @ 8 ohms) and release the bass beast.... I have a set of my 3 cables up for sale next 4 weeks.
Litz type 2 cryo-occ copper
SMC to 4-XLR
XLR to speaker taps
XLR to sensible nickel plated (vs fast wearing pretty gold plate) 3'5" SE plug
The conversion kit will be about a hard 50% off the retail price of the cable company's ready-made stuff. PM for details.

May 30, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #17,394 of 22,116

In your set-up, it comes down to CBA....cost benefits analysis....there is a thing I call "The box" it is a small 2 inch by one inch or so hardware EQ that was open sourced on another forum which is basically like a small hardware equivalent of a parametric equalisers but then you have to weigh up the total cost vs just buying a used pair of 500's and be done with it.It never really gained traction as I have only seen one guy pairing it to lower end Superlux on this forum...the designer says he made it because he always felt parametric EQ introduced artifacts into the background.
There are guys who build "The box" but because they are one-off made for your cans specific sound curve problems, it might be $80+ postage.

Lohb,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have seen the thread about Superlux and "the box" (some filter, if I am not mistaken), but still it seems a complex and risky path to take.
For me probably the best solution would be to buy HD650 and to pair it with a fairly good amp.

Sorry for asking so many questions about HE-400 and nothing coming out of it.

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #17,395 of 22,116
Just got my HE400s (lol under a year from gaming headsets to this). First impressions: very detailed and forward sound, love it. Bass is nice but couple dB boost would be perfect. Treble kinda hot but not too much, gonna burn in + adjust to sound before EQ. Are velour pads worth it because I find pleathers comfortable enough?

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #17,397 of 22,116
Just got my HE400s (lol under a year from gaming headsets to this). First impressions: very detailed and forward sound, love it. Bass is nice but couple dB boost would be perfect. Treble kinda hot but not too much, gonna burn in + adjust to sound before EQ. Are velour pads worth it because I find pleathers comfortable enough?

Ya velour is the ****
And also once you get a little more burn in going. Eq the 16khz down about 5.3 db and the 6.3khz down 3-5 db and the bass really comes out

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #17,399 of 22,116
Hi all,
I have had my HE-400's for a couple of weeks now. Find myself listening to them more then any of my other cans. I am really enjoying the bass on these, and it is very well balanced. Only thing I did not care for was the cable, so I swapped it for a Norne Audio litz cable...huge improvement, really opened up the sound and the space around individual instruments. Running this from my Woo Audio WA6-SE, so I have plenty of power. Tube rolling has been fun, as these cans are very revealing of different tube combinations. I'm a very happy camper!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back