**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 24, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #17,086 of 22,116
I just want it to be transparent. and with the amount of hard rock I listen to, smoother probably isn't best. I don't find them to be harsh or anything like others. I really like a lot of treble.

Apr 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #17,088 of 22,116
I'm having serious problems with my HE-400s and I'm wondering if anybody has any advice!

Since I purchased mine about a year ago new from Moon Audio, they have never seemed loud/impactful enough. Using either straight from iPod/iPhone or through FiiO E17, the volume never seemed to get loud enough for me. The sound of the cans never got full and the bass has never felt impactful. Suspecting it might be the cable, I purchased a brand new one and still no change to the sound. I recently tried using them with a HP-P1, on the lowest gain setting, and when turned to a comfortable volume, the cans just sound horribly distorted, as if I've blown them out. Could I possibly have just blown them out or did I get a dud pair? 

Is there anything I can do or am I just SOL?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #17,095 of 22,116
3 years the phones and 1 year the cable ??
Hifiman told me they don't take for warranty a cable issue after about 2 years :mad:

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #17,096 of 22,116
I don't know where someone got the idea you can drive these headphones with an iPod or similar device. I couldn't get any decent levels out of my laptop's headphone jack. Had to max out all the bars on the graphic eq to get any kind of volume. Even hooked my DAC to some powered speakers and plugged into the jack on them. Had to set the volume to 3/4 of the way and still it was anemic. I wonder if Audioquest's Dragonfly would drive them. Seeing how it's powered with USB voltage, I'll bet not... Got my HeadRoom Micro back today. Had to replace all the 3.5mm jacks. After 4 years they were cutting in and out. This amp drives them effortlessly so I'm a happy camper!!

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #17,097 of 22,116
3 years the phones and 1 year the cable ??
Hifiman told me they don't take for warranty a cable issue after about 2 years
mad.gif

We all get burned on that - I already went through the process. Hence I am probably switching brands next time I get the "new phone" itch.

Cable made it just over a year or so before tearing. I haven't had a cord do that me probably ever. So . . . .

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #17,098 of 22,116
I don't know where someone got the idea you can drive these headphones with an iPod or similar device. I couldn't get any decent levels out of my laptop's headphone jack. Had to max out all the bars on the graphic eq to get any kind of volume. Even hooked my DAC to some powered speakers and plugged into the jack on them. Had to set the volume to 3/4 of the way and still it was anemic. I wonder if Audioquest's Dragonfly would drive them. Seeing how it's powered with USB voltage, I'll bet not... Got my HeadRoom Micro back today. Had to replace all the 3.5mm jacks. After 4 years they were cutting in and out. This amp drives them effortlessly so I'm a happy camper!!

The dragonfly works fantastic with these cans. I usually hover below 25 on Windows volume slider thingy with the dragonfly though I would say I listen to things at a moderate listening level. At the LA head fi meet I was using the dragonfly through my galaxy s3 and was powering some audeze cans without issue.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 25, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #17,099 of 22,116

Don't know how loudly you listen, but my iPhone drives these to a more than adequate volume at only half of the volume bar. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back