**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #16,786 of 22,116
Interesting that you say that the modi adds more treble. I am not sure if I noticed it more with or without the modi in-line. I think the harsh treble was always there. I do find that I have to EQ to tone it down but they sound great once I do that. 

Yeah, that was just my experience that with the modi the treble seemed to be bumped up a bit compared to other sources. Admittedly I haven't used the modi in some time as I did not particularly enjoy the sound and quickly rushed out to find a source that was closer to my preferences. But I can say nothing but good things about the magni at its price. To each their own.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #16,787 of 22,116
Does anyone know if this site is off a lot on measurements ?
I was surprised where the 400's sat in bass measurements vs the other cans....

My HP50s certainly have more bass presence than my HE400s.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #16,788 of 22,116
What revisions are these headphones at now? Haven't been on here in a long time, are they still using the revision 2's as the prime he-400?

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #16,789 of 22,116
I'm sort of looking at this headphone really closely and my other option is the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 ohm). I read that the DT880 is a fast-sounding headphone which I like but I'm quite worried about it overly lacking warmth on the midrange/upper bass. On the other hand, the HE-400 I heard is dark-sounding which makes me worry a bit. I understand that the description of dark could be relative to Hifiman's other higher-end products but I'm interested to hear an opinion from someone who has experience on both of them. Would you consider HE-400 detailed-sounding compared to the DT 880?

I have not ventured that much into open headphones (other than owning Grado and Superlux) so I'm quite interested into moving into this area.

Tl;dr Which is one more airy and open-sounding? How does the strength of one compares to the other headphone?

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #16,790 of 22,116
I'm sort of looking at this headphone really closely and my other option is the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 ohm). I read that the DT880 is a fast-sounding headphone which I like but I'm quite worried about it overly lacking warmth on the midrange/upper bass. On the other hand, the HE-400 I heard is dark-sounding which makes me worry a bit. I understand that the description of dark could be relative to Hifiman's other higher-end products but I'm interested to hear an opinion from someone who has experience on both of them. Would you consider HE-400 detailed-sounding compared to the DT 880?

I have not ventured that much into open headphones (other than owning Grado and Superlux) so I'm quite interested into moving into this area.

Tl;dr Which is one more airy and open-sounding? How does the strength of one compares to the other headphone?

I got my DT880 @600 Ohms this week and they actually have a little more bass than the HE-400. Both have a good level of detail, at least with the songs I listened to, I could not find anything missing with the DT880, and they are fast enough for me (pop, rock, acoustic, not extremely fast metal).

The DT880 definitely don't lack on the midrange, but they are bright where the HE-400 is warm with a treble peak.

Because of that, I find the DT880 better balanced overall, not linear neutral bass and without that treble peak the HE-400 have.

The HE-400 sounds dark and a little distant to me, so they are more airy and give the impression of being more open too.

Also consider that I don't have a good amp for the DT880 yet, so my impressions may change when I do.

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #16,792 of 22,116
I personally don't find it too bad weight-wise, but I must admit after wearing 'em awhile, switching to lighter headphones does feel pretty good.

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #16,795 of 22,116

Both are great and have their place ...,880s (250) are more natural and have plenty of bass but they are a bit on the bright side -it all depends from the recording and source,-they really shine when paired with OTL 
400s on the other hand are a lot of fun when listening to electronic,dubstep,etc ,I think most are misinterpreting the bass when it comes to 400s->..for me this cans have fairly large soundstage with "slam" type of bass and yes they are a bit on the dark side ,both cans especially 400s(they will sound very dark at the beginning ) need to burn in 
Bottom line is source ..if you going to pair it with high Impedant OTL I would recommend 880s if not it's pretty much about the music you listening to
P.S. both will probably require ear pad change-880s have very soft valuer-might be touching your ears and 400s leather and can get uncomfortable after a while
both can be replaced for abour $10+ shipping (black velour )  

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #16,797 of 22,116
For any Alt/Indie fans...  IAMX does amazingly with these headphones.  I'm sure I've said it before, but this can compliments this band quite well.

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #16,798 of 22,116
  Both are great and have their place ...,880s (250) are more natural and have plenty of bass but they are a bit on the bright side -it all depends from the recording and source,-they really shine when paired with OTL 
400s on the other hand are a lot of fun when listening to electronic,dubstep,etc ,I think most are misinterpreting the bass when it comes to 400s->..for me this cans have fairly large soundstage with "slam" type of bass and yes they are a bit on the dark side ,both cans especially 400s(they will sound very dark at the beginning ) need to burn in 
Bottom line is source ..if you going to pair it with high Impedant OTL I would recommend 880s if not it's pretty much about the music you listening to
P.S. both will probably require ear pad change-880s have very soft valuer-might be touching your ears and 400s leather and can get uncomfortable after a while
both can be replaced for abour $10+ shipping (black velour )  

Thanks. I have a JDS Labs O2 to power but I'm also getting a Hifiman EF-2A tube amp.

I like a fast-sounding headphone and while DT 880 seems to fit that description more, I'm worried that the midrange might sound cold or not resolving. I also don't like it to sound too thin and lean but if a tube amp helps on that, then I'm fine. But then again I like Etymotic iems and didn't find them too lean so maybe I would like it as well.

As for the HE-400, I don't mind it being dark as long as it's not hindering detail retrieval and the midrange is a bit warm. I should add that I'm also interested in general with planar cans and what they bring differently from dynamic driver headphones.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #16,799 of 22,116

Thanks. I have a JDS Labs O2 to power but I'm also getting a Hifiman EF-2A tube amp.

I like a fast-sounding headphone and while DT 880 seems to fit that description more, I'm worried that the midrange might sound cold or not resolving. I also don't like it to sound too thin and lean but if a tube amp helps on that, then I'm fine. But then again I like Etymotic iems and didn't find them too lean so maybe I would like it as well.

As for the HE-400, I don't mind it being dark as long as it's not hindering detail retrieval and the midrange is a bit warm. I should add that I'm also interested in general with planar cans and what they bring differently from dynamic driver headphones.

To be short, then, you are going to love the HE-400. Not exactly what I consider "warm" (more like "neutral" unless with modded pleathers), the speed is awesome. Very detailed and punchy with the O2. Upper mid-range "suckout" actually tams a lot grating frequencies IMHO.

But I think others here would argue that the HE-500 are the place to go if you want the lushest midrange.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #16,800 of 22,116
It looks like my HE400's left and right channel are reversed. I m wearing them as per L and R indication on headphone. With my onboard Realtek sound card, using Configure, when i click on left speaker, sound plays in right channel and similarly the right plays on left.

Is this a problem with headphones? Shud i get it exchanged?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back